+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking 3GS on 4.2.1 with baseband 5.15.04

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am new here and it is my first post, so please be easy I have an iphone with os 4.2.1 and baseband 5.15.04. I want to unlock it and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Unlocking 3GS on 4.2.1 with baseband 5.15.04
    I am new here and it is my first post, so please be easy

I have an iphone with os 4.2.1 and baseband 5.15.04. I want to unlock it and I have some background information about the situation. So here is what I know.

I will have to upgrade it to 6.15.0 in order to unlock it. I can upgrade the baseband using Redsn0w and jailbreak it and then use Ultrasn0w to unlock.

My question is, can I do an untethered Jailbreak and upgrade the baseband at the same time?
    Can I jailbreak and upgrade the baseband using Redsn0w and then again jailbreak it using greenposi0n to get the untethered jailbreak and then use ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Thank you for your help in advance. Appreciate any help in any direction. If this post is improper then Mods can delete it. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Yes, you can but use ifaith to dump your 4.2.1 shsh blob first so you can restore back by creating an ifaith custom ipsw to be restored to if you ever need to.
    You can use redsn0w 0.9.6b8 to install ipad baseband first.
    Then run redsn0w and install cydia.
    Once you have a tethered jailbreak with redsn0w, run GreenPoison over your tethered jailbreak to go untethered jailbreak.
    Update cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock at 4.2.1

If you have the old bootrom, then you can skip GreenPoison.
    Don't do any restore before using ifaith to dump your shsh because you do not have any blob according to your description.

Stay at 4.2.1 if you want to maintain your unlock.
    Last edited by iYeow; 12-01-2011 at 12:56 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

diabolicalpanda (12-01-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for your help iYeow. I will definitely dump the shsh blobs using ifaith first. I just bought this phone for my friend who will be using it on a different carrier outside US.

This phone has a new bootroom. I had read that one should not use greenpoison if they rely on a carrier unlock ( source: a red pie website, not sure if I am allowed to post links ) So, I just wanted to confirm.

Lastly, are there any drawbacks behind doing this? And does it have that good a success rate as with usual carrier unlock or are there more chances that I might brick the phone in doing multiple jailbreaks. I have unlocked a 3gs before, but on a lower os and baseband. So, I just wanted to know if this has the same chances of being successful if I do all the steps right

Thank you for all your help! Appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

There is always a risk when flashing Ipad baseband.
    GreenPoison is a jailbreak tool and is only use for Jailbreak so it does not affect whether you rely on unlock or not.