+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Jailbreaking gone insanely wrong! Need help. :/

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I was using my 3GS on 4.2.1 and when redsnow released the jailbreak for the iOS5, I wanted to upgrade but couldn't as I was using windows. So I thought
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS Jailbreaking gone insanely wrong! Need help. :/
    I was using my 3GS on 4.2.1 and when redsnow released the jailbreak for the iOS5, I wanted to upgrade but couldn't as I was using windows. So I thought of jailbreaking via snowbreeze. My 3GS had the old bootrom so I would be getting an untethered jailbreak for iOS5. My baseband was 6.15. I downloaded the iOS5 firmware, used snowbreeze to create a custom firmware, and then entered the dfu mode and snowbreeze ran the iReb onto it and showed it was successful. The tutorial said, after running the iReb, I had to open up iTunes and jus shift-restore the firmware. But when I opened iTunes, it told that it had to contact the server and verify or something like that, and then when I gave restore, it would show the progress bar till then end and I would get a "1600" error from iTunes. It would just show the device name as iPhone and if i right click, the only two options were eject and restore. I unplugged and re-plugged many times and every time i tried restoring i would get the same error. I got frustrated and googled for help. I found some utility called "iPhoneRecoveryFix" and when I ran that, my iPhone came out of the dfu mode and it was exactly how it was before(when it had the 4.2.1). It had all messages, apps, etc...(EVERYTHING!) and then when i connected iTunes, it recognized my iPhone. And now, again I tried restore, and this time, it worked! My phone got switched and now it showed the snowbreeze logo and a progress bar, and even iTunes was showing it was installing the firmware. After 3 or 4 minutes, my phone booted up. And it now had iOS5 on it. But it showed the "set up iPhone" screen. I cannot setup the iPhone as I do not have any apple-approved SIM card. I am now stuck in the iPhone setup screen. And also, one of my friend used the emergency calling technique and I found out something weird. I called 911 and when it shows the calling screen, I kept pressing the home button and hence it by-passed the phone app to the homescreen. I could see the homescreen. I opened up the settings app and saw the firmware version. It clearly shows it's ios5. And baseband still 6.15 and has not been changed. But multi tasking does not work. And notification center is also not there. I think I shouldn't have restored the firmware when it was in the actual working state. But now I am stuck in the setup screen. I tried to create the custom firmware again but snowbreeze gives me an error now. I need help, if anyone can help me out with this, please reply ASAP.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Don't bother upgrading to IOS 5.0.1 if you want unlock. It is not going to work. Do you have any 4.xx blob for restore.

Thanks

Problem resolved. I created another custom firmware and this time, I gave the hacktivate option in snowbreeze while creating the custom firmware. I am now on iOS5 with all features working perfectly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

oh.. how this is possible.. when apple is not signing.. any one any clues

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

did you do the fresh restore again now?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Impossible to be able to restore to 5.0

Thanks

I am on 5 now! How is that impossible? I used snowbreeze to create the custom firmware and did it. Since Im on the old bootrom on my 3GS, I get an untethered jailbreak. So everything's perfect.
    Last edited by HackerGod19; 11-28-2011 at 08:18 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ok may be it is working in 3GS but not in iPhone4

Thanks

It does work for iPhone 4 too, I did it for my friend. But it won't be untethered, it will be tethered. That's the only difference. Won't matter much as it's semi-tethered now. So better upgrade soon.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

is it... whey did you do it (date please) and please tell me the steps

Thanks

I did it for the iPhone 4 on a mac, via redsnow. It was about 2 weeks ago, as soon as redsnow released the jailbreak. Have you ever jailbroken any iDevice before? If you have, I'll just brief you about how to upgrade to the iOS5. If you have not, then I will have to explain in detail.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah.. two weeks ago Apple was signing iOS5 and you were able to do that.. but now Apple is only signing iOS5.0.1.. so now it is impossible to restore to IOS 5.0.. let me know your thoughts
    FYI.. i have jailbreaked and unlocked number of phones