Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with upgrading BB on newer 3GS's...

Default Problem with upgrading BB on newer 3GS's...
    Has anyone figured this issue out for sure yet? It seems to me that any 3GS that is less than 2 months or so old will get bricked when you try to flash the baseband. I have personally bricked 4...good news is any phone that new is still under warranty. One of the bricked phones was actually on 4.3.5 so I figured it was ok. They all will downgrade to 4.1 and jalibreak just fine but when you install the ipad bb it will cause loss of the wifi, bluetooth and modem addresses. I have tried using the newest versions of Redsnow and still get the same results. I even tried flashing the bb first before the downgrade...no dice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I remember someone on here saying that apple might've changed the baseband chip?

If you watch closely when redsn0w is applying the IPad BB upgrade when it shows the pineapple, the bar doesn't finish but the phone shuts off and turns on the Apple logo.

Taken from the link below, tells u which iphones will be bricked. Anything week 35 of 2011 and on have a high chance of getting bricked. Week 35 of 2011 is around August 29, 2011.

3GS week 35 of 2011 and below is safe using redsnow 0.9.9b7 by my testing found in this thread. (3rd 4th and 5th digits in the serial can tell you its date)

3rd digit is the single digit year. (9 is 2009, 0 is 2010, 1 is 2011) 4t and 5th is the 2 digit week number. A year has 52 weeks. (35 is week 35, 11 is week 11, etc)

Examples: xx049xxxxxx is a 2010 week 49 and is safe to flash. xx136xxxxxx is a 2011 week 36 and should NOT be flashed.
    After 3gs baseband update 6.15, phone now is blank imei, wifi, bluetooth - JailbreakQA
    Last edited by b0bab0i; 11-22-2011 at 06:33 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to b0bab0i For This Useful Post:

R1futly (11-23-2011)

Looks like a good rule to go by. Thanks for the reply!!!