Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I unlock

Default Can I unlock
    I got an iPhone 3GS from a friend and since found out it was still on contract and hadn't paid the bill. I was wondering would it be ok to upgrade the phone to ios5. It is an uk iPhone on O2.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Depends. What firmware and baseband is it on now.

You cant update to 5.0 , apple stopped signing it a few days ago,you can upgrade to 5.0.1 though . Anyway would recommend to update using a custom firmware without baseband update, maybe you still have a unlockable baseband (please tell your baseband to be sure)
    Last edited by ovidiu1305; 11-20-2011 at 03:53 PM.

I have 05.15.04 so hoping it works

unfortunately the baseband can not be unlocked.Anyway you cant update to 5.0, only to 5.0.1. By the way what firmware are you on now? and why you want to update?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It needs to be downgraded to 4.1 if it isn't already on that, and then the baseband needs to be upgraded with redsn0w. That's the only way you can unlock at this point. This may break the GPS. It also cripples your phone from being able to use stock firmwares on 4.2.1 or higher.

Note that bc SHSHs are of no use ATM on iOS 5, you can only upgrade to 5.0.1 and the unlock is incompatible with it. Even with upgrading the bb for unlocking, the unlock tool Ultrasn0w isn't working with 5.0.1 as of now so even if you unlocked, you can only stay on iOS 4.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

If it is a O2 phone you can request them to unlock it for you. Cost like 15 pounds I think.