Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is unlocking permanent even if I upgrade software?

Default is unlocking permanent even if I upgrade software?
    Hi At&t a year ago refused to unlock my iPhone despite moving too Australia not been able to use AT&T and completing the full contract term. Evil yes I know.

Anyway, really angry I jail-broke the iPhone so I could unlock it and succeeded. Been on Optus (Australia) for a year now.

Now i have realized some apps do not work on versions less then 4.02 of the iPhone OS. So I figure I can use iTunes to upgrade my software (which it never stops harassing to do so).

Now i do not care to have a jail-broken phone anymore I do not use 99% of apps just a couple. so I want to upgrade to OS5 or at least above 4.02 but scared if i do this the phone will re-lock too At&t and again I have to wait for 2 months or longer for crack to be released (happen first time).

So question is if i upgrade Via iTunes will it be locked again? i know it wont be jail-broken anymore but I do not care for that. I am scared wont be able to use phone for months if it locks again too At&t.
    But i think unlocking is permanent right? now that it has been done i can upgrade and not worry right?

Thank you for anyone that answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Software unlock is not permanent , once restored you have to jailbreak and unlock again. What is your Baseband ?

Default Umm
    Base band is 05.13.04

I think i used Blacksnow too unlock it after jail breaking it with some free site I do not remember. Was like unlockiphone.com or something, was free.

Is there a way too unlock it, without using software unlock? Originally i did go too a store that could unlock the phones, and they said sure but they had to get At&t's permission, and they said no. Which was annoying because I found out after, nearly every company allowed it if the contract was finished and phone was paid for At&t were one of/ or the only one who would not.

Just in case it helps:

Version software: 4.0.1
    Optus carrier 8.1
    model MC135LL
    3GS iPhone
    Modem Firmware 05.13.04

Think This phone is 2.5 or 3 yrs old now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Don't do any restore yet. The latest version is 5.0.1. if you want 5.0.1, you have to restore to custom firmware to preserve your Baseband but ultrasn0w is not updated yet to unlock at iOS 5.0.1 and you will be locked out.

From cydia, what shsh blobs do you have ?

Default ok
    Ok no ssh thingies, never bothered, but I suppose I could update to 5 and crack it again.

Was just wondering, if i could update with no worries, but i guess that is not the case.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

I really appreciate it

You cant update to ios 5.0.1 as it will update your baseband to 4.11.0 which is unlockable, and its highly unlikely that any new unlock will come around. As the dev team is only working on jailbreaking. No new unlock has come out.

If you want to upgrade your iphone to ios 5.0.1 you have to preserver your baseband so that updating will update your ios version not the baseband version.

But to be woriee free, wait until ultrasnow is updated to be compatible with ios 5.0.1
    Then update while preserving baseband and then you will be able to use ios5 unlocked

have a strange unlocking problem.
    Running 3gs 05.13.04 snowbreeze CFW 5.0 unlocked with ultrasnow
    Works fine with my telus card as well as Bell and Rogers.
    I am in Mexico and it keeps telling me to sim is not compatable or from a suprrorted carrier. Strangely enough it sees the telcel shows 5 bars and the 3g.
    It recieves txts and emails but If I try and open it it gives me the activation screen and says again not a valid sim.
    I can get my emails but I need to pull the sim to access the phone.
    Once I put the sim in it locks me out again.

UPDATE

Seems I forgot the activate option when I did this phone.
    Reloaded CFW 5.0 with activate checked and everything is working well now.
    Last edited by offroad406; 11-17-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Learning

Dont know anything about it...