+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Considering switching to an iPhone 4

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I currently have an android Samsung Galaxy S 2. I do not like the phone its too big, and I plan on selling it. I plan on purchasing a
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Considering switching to an iPhone 4
    Hello, I currently have an android Samsung Galaxy S 2.
    I do not like the phone its too big, and I plan on selling it.
    I plan on purchasing a used iPhone 4(ATT or Verizon) off eBay, that will run me about $250-300 bucks

My Problem
    I currently use TMobile as my carrier, and will be with them for the next year or two.
    If I were to buy an iPhone off eBay, I believe I would I need to unlock and jailbreak it as well as obtain a microSIM card and call up Tmobile to have my phone # swapped to the microSIM.

I have zero knowledge on how to unlock or jailbreak a phone.

I was wondering if anyone can point me to the right direction, or even a procedure on how to begin unlocking a phone. Thanks, appreciated.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If I were in the USA, I'd have swapped my iPhone 4 with you

It is Jailbroken 4.3.3 iOS with BB 04.10.01 Unlocked with Gevey Ultra and have Facetime, MMS and every other thing working perfectly and in prestine condition (purchased in May 2011 from Switzerland)

First you should know the FW version and Baseband of the iPhone 4 on ebay (4.3.3 FW is the last one that can have Untethered JB) and BB should be 04.10.01 at most if you wanna unlock with Gevey Sim (small sim that goes under the MicroSim) and old 1.59 BB can be unlocked with software

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Your budget wouldn't be a factory unlocked iphone 4, for you to be able to use Gevey sim, the baseband must be 04.10.00 or less. You should find out if there is 4.3.3 shsh blob saved otherwise you cannot restore to 4.3.3 again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If the baseband is less than 4.10.00 can I upgrade to iOS5?

Thanks

You must preserve this baseband by restoring to custom firmware of IOS 5 so you can use Gevey Sim to unlock at IOS 5.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, so I should make sure before purchasing an iPhone 4 on eBay, that the seller has not upgraded the baseband, and its below a 4.10.00 so I can use a GEVEY sim to unlock, correct?

Thanks

Correct and also make sure you have 4.3.3 blob saved with cydia. The reason why i am saying is for instant if you are at IOS 5 , apple is signing 5.1 and there isn't any tools to make a custom fw yet. During this time, your iphone needed a restore, you cannot restore to custom firmware of IOS 5 because apple stops signing IOS 5, so to continue to use your iphone, with your 4.3.3 blob, you can downgrade back to custom firmware of 4.3.3 and wait until a tool to create a custom fw of 5.1.

So basically two things to look for the baseband and the blob, does it make any sense to you ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

4.3.3 blob saved sounds like a file within iPhone, yes but I will ask the seller for the baseband and blob. I'm new to all this

Thanks

Yes, it is a file captured while apple was generating this blob and stored in Cydia Server if it was saved.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having a hard time finding an ebay seller with the iphone 4 baseband less than a 4.10.00. The seller usually doesn't list it and i have to email each one of them...

So if I randomly purchase an iPhone 4 with updated iOS5 ....is it 100% guarenteed there's no way I can unlock it regardless if its software, or gevey sim unlock?

Green Apple
    Thanks

If the seller does not CLEARLY state the baseband with an iOS 5 iPhone 4, it will most likely have the unlockable 04.11.08 BB

Thanks

+1 if the seller doesn't say it can be unlocked with gevey sim or Ultrasn0w or factory unlock, then it is clearly 04.11.00 baseband. If you purchase one that has this bb, you have to wait for someone to come out with a new hardware unlock. There wouldn't be any software unlock coming any soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Would you think its in my best interest, being that I have no knowledge of jailbreaking/unlocking, to purchase a used iPhone 4 Factory unlocked off eBay?

In the event that I do purchase a factory unlocked phone, would I still need the gevey sim card? Can I upgrade to iOS5 via iTunes without issues? Can I upgrade the baseband to the latest one?

Thanks

I would definitely recommend you to buy a factory unlocked iphone as you need not worry about baseband, do your upgrade and still unlock for all gsm. You don't need gevey sim at all .

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good news and bad news

I was scouting around ebay prices for a used iPhone 4 factory unlocked, and they run from 400-500$ dollars.....that's rediculous
    I ended up winning an auction for a used iPhone 4 in mint condition that the seller claims its "jailbroken and unlockable with a Gevey SIM" for about $350...

I hope the seller isn't scamming me and selling me an upgraded baseband with iOS5. But anyhow, should I purchase a Gevey SIM, or should I try to unlock it myself using a software? Please help!!, If I do buy a Gevey sim, can you link me to where I can get an authentic one...Thanks for the help, appreciated.

Thanks

Sometimes it is worth to spend the extra 100 over dollars to save you all the trouble.
    Not sure which one , I think Gevey Ultra Pro

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Check your PM

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I got confirmation from the seller that the iPhone 4 I purchased is running iOS 4.1 and on a stock baseband 4.1.

Are these 2 compatible with gevey sim? If so where should I purchase this gevey sim from? Thanks!!

Thanks

You can purchase a gevey sim from applenberry.com and it should work on your 4.1 baseband.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are there any precautions before installing/plugging my iPhone 4 into my computer?