Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Queries on iPhone 3GS unlock and preserving baseband

Default Queries on iPhone 3GS unlock and preserving baseband
    I am wanting to buy an used iPhone 3GS but whatever unlocked ones are available on craigslist / ebay.com seem to have their baseband updated to 6.15, the ipad baseband which breaks the GPS functionality.
    In this case, can i buy a AT&T locked iPhone, not updated to iOS 5 and unlock it myself PRESERVING the baseband so as not to break the GPS ?
    If yes then before buying the locked iPhone 3GS, what all things i need to check to ensure that i can preserve the baseband and also unlock and jailbreak it.

good luck finding one that still have ios 4.0 or lower with unlockable baseband. when new ios version come out, people will update through itunes, only a small percentage that update but preserve the baseband.

In that case i will only be able to get an unlocked and jailbroken with 6.15 baseband right ?
    Does GPS work in such iPhone 3GS with ipad baseband ?
    Will there be any baseband downgrade available ?

Thanks

Does GPS work in such iPhone 3GS with ipad baseband ? No (not to my knowing)
    Will there be any baseband downgrade available ? No (6.15.00 is impossible to downgrade to my knowing)

Try Pinkpine.com I haven't buy anything from them but ..... the last time I ask them they said they have iphone baseband and ipad unlock.

The best and easy way are to find an iPhone 4 with fw 4.3.5 then restore iOS5 with preserve baseband.
    Now you can unlock it Gevey Sim
    Semi tether jailbreak
    keep your GPS working

^^Yes i got an iPhone 4 finally with baseband 1.59.00 and iOS 5 so i can unlock it with ultrasn0w.
    You may check the following thread and give more inputs there

[iPhone Noob] Need help with unlocking/jailbreaking iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and BB 1.59.00