+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade 3GS to iOS 5 with unlock and Old Bootroom

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB with an old bootroom. I'm currently running 6.15 iPad baseband. I want to upgrade to iOS5 while keeping my untethered jailbreak and to unlock
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Upgrade 3GS to iOS 5 with unlock and Old Bootroom
    I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB with an old bootroom. I'm currently running 6.15 iPad baseband. I want to upgrade to iOS5 while keeping my untethered jailbreak and to unlock it. From my research, it seems this is possible but I can't find any conclusive links to guide me to make sure I will be okay doing this. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Green Apple
    Thanks

With old bootrom you can be untethered on 5.0. Use Sn0wbreeze to create custom ipsw then run redsn0w to JB it with fix for location service issue. I'm on it now and running perfect.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RochOAR For This Useful Post:

MCleveland89 (10-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RochOAR View Post
    With old bootrom you can be untethered on 5.0. Use Sn0wbreeze to create custom ipsw then run redsn0w to JB it with fix for location service issue. I'm on it now and running perfect.
    i thought there was no untethered jb for ios5 yet?
    All information contained in my post came to me in a dream. I don't even own an iphone.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only untethered jailbreak on iOS 5 is for the 3GS that has the original bootrom.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RochOAR View Post
    So you're saying to use Sn0wbreeze in simple mode to make a custom IPSW, then use redsn0w to actually install it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually the new redsn0w will create a custom FW for you under extras. Do that, then use redsn0w to put phone into pwned DFU mode and then iTunes to restore custom firmware.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cablsurfin For This Useful Post:

MCleveland89 (10-24-2011)

Thanks

i want to unlock my 3gs it has a greenpois0n jailbreak on it fw 05.15.04 and iOS 4.2.1 whats the next step considering i havent seen anyone mention greenpois0n on this site anyway i can start the whole process all over

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for all your help! For anyone who stumbles across this thread, this is what I did:

1. Created a IPSW through Sn0wbreeze v2.8b8 through simple mode. (No fancy options were ticked.)
    2. Put the iPhone into DFU Mode.
    3. Opened up iTunes and Right-Clicked+Shift on the "Restore" button and pointed it towards the IPSW made with sn0wbreeze.
    4. Let iOS5 install.
    5. After everything was done, I opened Cydia and let it install it's filesystem. (It takes a couple minutes, don't be alarmed.)
    6. Opened Cydia after it restarted and added "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" to my sources.
    7. Installed Ultrasn0w 1.2.4 and let the iPhone restart.
    8. Done!

Everything seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. I used Maps and it was able to find my location so locations services seems to be working fine too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MCleveland89 For This Useful Post:

MFLopez37 (10-24-2011)

Thanks

i was also told not to plug the phone into itunes for some reason by the guy who will charge me 30 bucks to unlock it im a "noob" and new to iphones just made the switch from blkberry i need help BAAADDDDD!!!!!

dude any help on this im concerned that if i plug the fone into the computer itunes will screw something up
    Last edited by MFLopez37; 10-23-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Please just read the stuff on this thread. There's plenty of stuff on Wikipedia and all around. Also, it basically comes down to don't update your phone using iTunes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dummonger For This Useful Post:

MFLopez37 (10-24-2011)

Thanks

How do i create this IPSW ive downloaded all types of stuff and nothing is coming up since i already have 4.2.1 all i need to do is jump to 6.15 from 05.15.04 but this isnt happening as easy as easy as u guys make it sound ive downloaded sn0wbreeze, redsn0w, can i just get rid of the greenpois0n and start over??????????? or does that even matter????
    Last edited by MFLopez37; 10-24-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MFLopez37 View Post
    How do i create this IPSW ive downloaded all types of stuff and nothing is coming up since i already have 4.2.1 all i need to do is jump to 6.15 from 05.15.04 but this isnt happening as easy as easy as u guys make it sound ive downloaded sn0wbreeze, redsn0w, can i just get rid of the greenpois0n and start over??????????? or does that even matter????
    you can download IPSW from this site:
    Download iPhone Firmware / IPSW Files

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MFLopez37 View Post
    You need to stay on 4.2.1 to upgrade the baseband to 6.15.00. You'll need Redsn0w to do so.
    How to Update & Jailbreak iPhone 3GS / 3G Baseband to 06.15.00 with Redsn0w 0.9.6b5 for iOS 4.2.1 Unlock | Redmond Pie

There's a link to a guide for you to do that. After that, if you want to be on IOS 5, you'll need to use a custom firmware as everyone in here has been talking about.

Just understand the side effects of the iPad bb, it may cause GPS loss/malfunction and you'll never be able to restore to a stock/original firmware again on 4.2.1 and up.

Edit: if you didn't notice, the jb is only untethered for old bootrom 3GS. If you have a 3GS that has the new bootrom, your iOS 5 jb will be tethered. This means whenever your phone turns off or reboots, you have to use Redsn0w to boot tethered to get it back up and running (yes, it means you have to have a computer nearby to do so).