+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Attempting to unlock iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.5 w/ Gevey SIM

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey all, I was wondering if you could help me out here. I just got an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.5 installed on it and I am trying to unlock
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Attempting to unlock iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.5 w/ Gevey SIM
    Hey all,

I was wondering if you could help me out here. I just got an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.5 installed on it and I am trying to unlock it with Gevey Ultra. I cut my carrier's SIM into a Micro SIM (but I may have not done a very good job at), stuck it in with the Gevey thingy and booted up my iPhone.

I get the welcome screen as expected, I hit "cancel" in accordance with the instructions, go into Settings -> SIM Applications->Instructions, hit accept, wait till I see one bar of service, dial 112, disconnect after 2 seconds. Then before I can turn on Airplane mode I get the "No SIM Card" error message, then I turn on Airplane mode and then at that point it tells me I've screwed up and that I need to turn off my phone and try again.

Couple of extra notes:
    - I think my chopped down SIM is working at least somewhat because my phone number is displayed in the settings.
    - I've only done this twice because dialing 112 really sketches me out. Especially since after I hit "end call" after 2 seconds it sits there for like 10 seconds with the words "hanging up" on the screen. I really hope nothing went through.

Is there a better way of doing this? I'd be willing to try a tethered jailbreak if that would make things any easier.

Thanks

You have to put in your cellular data settings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djjerrylee1 View Post
    You have to put in your cellular data settings
    I'm sorry, what? I don't have cellular data on my plan anyway, and I don't see what good it would do.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think that you are doing it wrong specially with the timing

When you boot the the phone and get the welcome screen you should hit Accept not cancel !

Wait till the 1 bar appears and then quickly diall 112 and hang up after 2 seconds (when it takes so much time in hanging up that means something is wrong, that happened with me before)

Then immediately go to settings and turn Airplane mode On and wait for the No Sim Installed message. Wait till the No Sim and Sim Failure message to disappear and it will get signal

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
    I think that you are doing it wrong specially with the timing

When you boot the the phone and get the welcome screen you should hit Accept not cancel !

Wait till the 1 bar appears and then quickly diall 112 and hang up after 2 seconds (when it takes so much time in hanging up that means something is wrong, that happened with me before)

Then immediately go to settings and turn Airplane mode On and wait for the No Sim Installed message. Wait till the No Sim and Sim Failure message to disappear and it will get signal
    Okay... only problem is I decided to go ahead with a tethered jailbreak. In the instructions that came with the Gevey SIM it said that if your phone is jailbroken you could just install Furiousmod SIM Unlock Utility and it would connect automatically when you boot without the need for dialing 112. Maybe the tethering has something to do with it, but it didn't work.

And now that I've jailbroken it, when I start my phone I don't get the welcome screen, just the lock screen. And restoring won't help since I don't have the original carrier's SIM so I can't activate it unless I jailbreak it again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think that you can activate without tethered JB (somebody please crrect me if I am wrong) just don't select "Boot Tethered"

After activation you should get Gevey Welcome Screen and even if you didn't get it, just go to settings-Sim instructions-English (or language) and you will get the weclome screen

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
    I think that you can activate without tethered JB (somebody please crrect me if I am wrong) just don't select "Boot Tethered"

After activation you should get Gevey Welcome Screen and even if you didn't get it, just go to settings-Sim instructions-English (or language) and you will get the weclome screen
    Well in its jailbroken state right now if I boot without redsn0w, it just goes into an infinite Apple logo boot loop. And if I restore the original 4.3.5 firmware then I can't get past the iPhone activation screen. I suppose I could try to find out if any of my friends have a Bell SIM card though.

Thanks

Only way to get untethered ios5 on iphone 4 using Gevey sim ultra at the moment is non-JB, for this you will need a Original Carrier sim to bypass the activation screen, it doesn't need to be a working sim. And preserve your Baseband from 4.3.3 or lower.

I have done it for my friend from 4.3.5 also but i like to start from 4.3.3 since its untethered JB easer to start from.

What i haven't tried is the whole thing w/o a official carrier sim... wonder if you can pass that w/o JB the device.

Until Gevey team or whoever is doing the Cydia apps for it, decides to upgrade the software is the only solution, to dial that 112 number ...

Mainly its just a waiting game now. One thing is good though, ios 5 functions with a preserved Baseband.

Chances are good (Who knows when though) that ultrasn0w will get an update, but who knows when that will be =D.
    Last edited by Germanese; 10-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    iPhone 4 Unlocked on T-Mobile | Motorola Verizon Razr M on T-Mobile | iPhone 5 Confused

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Germanese View Post
    Only way to get untethered ios5 on iphone 4 using Gevey sim ultra at the moment is non-JB, for this you will need a Original Carrier sim to bypass the activation screen, it doesn't need to be a working sim. And preserve your Baseband from 4.3.3 or lower.
    I have done it for my friend from 4.3.5 also but i like to start from 4.3.3 since its untethered JB easer to start from.

Untill Gevey team or whoever is doing the Cydia apps for it, decides to upgrade the software is the only solution.

Mainly its just a waiting game now. One thing is good though, ios 5 functions with a preserved Baseband.

Chances are good (Who knows when though) that ultrasn0w will get an update who knows when.
    It won't make any difference whether I try this with 4.3.5 or 5.0 as long as I preserve the baseband, will it? I guess either way I'll need an original carrier SIM to activate a non-JB install.

Thanks

You have to start from a 4.3.5 with old BB, you can redo it from a modded 5.0 as long as ur BB was preserved. That's is correct.
    But if you are on a official 5.0 with new BB, u need to downgrade to 4.3.5 or lower to get ur old BB back. And start from there.

To get a non-JB Unlock with Gevey u need an original carrier SIM (Doesn't need to be working or active as long as it is an official sim)

Ask a friend from official carrier that has been using his/her sim for over 2 years. Tell them to go the store and request a new sim b/c theirs is glitchy or lost. They should give them a new sim for free (T-mobile AT&T O2 all do it for free as long as you past the 60 day mark). Phonebook are transferable on most phones, iphones have phonebook on the phone. Thats an option if no one has an old SiM.
    U can cut down the large ones also it does not have to be a micro sim.
    iPhone 4 Unlocked on T-Mobile | Motorola Verizon Razr M on T-Mobile | iPhone 5 Confused

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You have to start from a 4.3.5 with old BB, you can redo it from a modded 5.0 as long as ur BB was preserved. That's is correct.
    But if you are on a official 5.0 with new BB, u need to downgrade to 4.3.5 or lower to get ur old BB back. And start from there.

To get a non-JB Unlock with Gevey u need an original carrier SIM (Doesn't need to be working or active as long as it is an official sim)

Ask a friend from official carrier that has been using his/her sim for over 2 years. Tell them to go the store and request a new sim b/c theirs is glitchy or lost. They should give them a new sim for free (T-mobile AT&T O2 all do it for free as long as you past the 60 day mark). Phonebook are transferable on most phones, iphones have phonebook on the phone. Thats an option if no one has an old SiM.
    U can cut down the large ones also it does not have to be a micro sim.
    Okay, but do you know anything about why my iPhone couldn't be unlocked originally? I had 4.3.5 without any jailbreaks, I followed the instructions for the Gevey Ultra, and basically I got into problems on the part where I dial 112. Even though I pressed hang up after 2 seconds it took around 10 seconds of "hanging up" before it was actually hung up. And then immediately after it hung up I got a "no sim card" error message and then turning airplane mode on resulted in nothing after several minutes, turning it off resulted in an error message from Gevey telling me I failed and needed to turn off the iPhone and try again. After that I got a bunch of notifications of new voicemails but when I hit "listen" they weren't available (and "no service" displayed at the top).

Upgrading to iOS 5 would be nice but at the moment my main concern is that I get this carrier unlock working.

Thanks

U see my below link in my signature. Try that one.

I had the same issues as you stated where my phone frooze.
    Could not dial. And spits no sim card at me.
    The problem is you are doing a process that Gevey Pro and other version use.
    If you are using Ultra, click on my below link and do exactly as stated.
    There are minor differences between them two, Ultra you have to activate the menu system that the Pros dont have.

The catch is you will need an official SIM (Non working) to get pass the activation screen.
    And don't skip a step or bypass the step. because my first few times i had the same issues as you did.
    After I modified my process to work with Ultra Method.

it is advice to turn off location service and find phone off untill the phone is functional and then turn them back on if needed.

HOW-TO
    Last edited by Germanese; 10-15-2011 at 07:37 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I managed to get it working by downgrading to 4.3.3, jailbreaking it, and then after turning it on, switching airplane mode on and off. Thanks for all the help everyone, and I'll probably wait until an untethered jailbreak of iOS 5 comes out before upgrading.

Thanks

Glad that worked out for you =D

Though iOS5 on i4 is sweet, not as nice as 4S but for a Broke College Student its Sweet =D

Gosh cant wait till they get the untethered method till then i will chill for now until i can reprogram this Gevey Card so everything works as it suppose to...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctrl_freak View Post
    Okay, but do you know anything about why my iPhone couldn't be unlocked originally? I had 4.3.5 without any jailbreaks, I followed the instructions for the Gevey Ultra, and basically I got into problems on the part where I dial 112. Even though I pressed hang up after 2 seconds it took around 10 seconds of "hanging up" before it was actually hung up. And then immediately after it hung up I got a "no sim card" error message and then turning airplane mode on resulted in nothing after several minutes, turning it off resulted in an error message from Gevey telling me I failed and needed to turn off the iPhone and try again. After that I got a bunch of notifications of new voicemails but when I hit "listen" they weren't available (and "no service" displayed at the top).

Upgrading to iOS 5 would be nice but at the moment my main concern is that I get this carrier unlock working.
    I have the same problem and it's annoying me big time! I have an iPhone 4 running 4.3.5 on BB 04.10.01 and I bought the Gevey Ultra thinking it was a piece of cake. I bought my iPhone at AT&T after the PROMISED me up and down that they would unlock it for me after I told them that I was moving from the U.S. to the U.K. and now that I'm here in the U.K., they hang up on me after I give them my IMEI number.

I followed the instructions on the Applenberry website and I didn't even get to step 3, the welcome screen. I shut off the phone, installed the fitted micro-sim on top of the Gevey Sim, turned on the phone and boom...no welcome screen. I rebooted it three times and not once got the welcome screen. I tried going through the steps anyway and was successful right up until the end...I waited and waited for my carrier name to appear and I got "No Service."

Since then, like you, I've jailbroken it using redsn0W, installed Cydia, installed FuriousMod and ultrasn0w, followed the Gevey instructions, both basic and advanced, and nothing. I've followed many different videos on YouTube and again, nothing...I see rumors that 4.3.5 can't be jailbroken but I did it just fine. So I'm sitting here with my useless iPhone 4, now jailbroken, with Cydia, ultrasn0w, FuriousMod, and the mobile substrate (which ultrasn0w required to be installed prior to ultrasn0w) and AFTER ALL THIS, still nothing...

I've even Applenberry twice, both times they promised to get back to me within 48 hours, and still nothing...

I'll be following this post but if you or anyone else can figure this out, please let me know!

Michael

Glad that worked out for you =D

Though iOS5 on i4 is sweet, not as nice as 4S but for a Broke College Student its Sweet =D

Gosh cant wait till they get the untethered method till then i will chill for now until i can reprogram this Gevey Card so everything works as it suppose to...

How did you manage to unlock your AT&T phone with iOS 5 while preserving the BB at 04.10.01 (which I can't even get to unlock on 4.3.5, nevermind iOS 5), and UN-TETHERED no less and without JB?
    Last edited by MiRoUoS; 11-13-2011 at 06:55 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, here is how I got it working: I downgraded to 4.3.3, jailbroke it (untethered), installed FuriousMod, and then basically played around with Airplane Mode until I got service. (Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes after turning on your phone before you turn on airplane mode.)

If you want to downgrade to 4.3.3, follow the instructions here: Downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.2, 4.3, on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch [How To Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Note that you do NOT need SHSH blobs! When I got my iPhone it was already at 4.3.5, but using these instructions I successfully downgraded it to 4.3.3. The only hitch was near the end, when the phone won't boot properly (where it says to use fixrecovery). For me the fixrecovery utility they supplied didn't work; I just used redsn0w's fix recovery and everything was hunky dory.

By the way, FuriousMod didn't seem to work on 4.3.5 tethered jailbreak. I suppose FuriousMod requires an untethered jailbreak to work.

I also found a video of a guy getting his to work on a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5 (manual method only): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KktmjS5Mknc
    If you want to upgrade to iOS 5 though, make SURE you preserve baseband! Currently the only way to do that right now is by using sn0wbreeze on Windows to create a custom ipsw of iOS 5.0.1 (Apple stopped signing 5.0 a few days ago), which you then feed into iTunes by shift- or option- clicking the restore button, and then selecting your custom ipsw (if you select the stock ipsw your baseband WILL be upgraded).

Regardless, Gevey seems to be quite fiddly. FuriousMod on 4.3.3 worked the best for me. Good luck!
    Last edited by ctrl_freak; 11-13-2011 at 07:45 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctrl_freak View Post
    Okay, here is how I got it working: I downgraded to 4.3.3, jailbroke it (untethered), installed FuriousMod, and then basically played around with Airplane Mode until I got service. (Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes after turning on your phone before you turn on airplane mode.)

If you want to downgrade to 4.3.3, follow the instructions here: Downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.2, 4.3, on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch [How To Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Note that you do NOT need SHSH blobs! When I got my iPhone it was already at 4.3.5, but using these instructions I successfully downgraded it to 4.3.3. The only hitch was near the end, when the phone won't boot properly (where it says to use fixrecovery). For me the fixrecovery utility they supplied didn't work; I just used redsn0w's fix recovery and everything was hunky dory.

By the way, FuriousMod didn't seem to work on 4.3.5 tethered jailbreak. I suppose FuriousMod requires an untethered jailbreak to work.

I also found a video of a guy getting his to work on a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5 (manual method only): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KktmjS5Mknc
    If you want to upgrade to iOS 5 though, make SURE you preserve baseband! Currently the only way to do that right now is by using sn0wbreeze on Windows to create a custom ipsw of iOS 5.0.1 (Apple stopped signing 5.0 a few days ago), which you then feed into iTunes by shift- or option- clicking the restore button, and then selecting your custom ipsw (if you select the stock ipsw your baseband WILL be upgraded).

Regardless, Gevey seems to be quite fiddly. FuriousMod on 4.3.3 worked the best for me. Good luck!

I downloaded the 4.3.3 ipsw, and found the host file, edited it but couldn't save it. The directions stated "make sure you have administrative privileges" but I don't and don't know how to enable that. This is my own macbook and I'm the only user on it and I'm the administrator so I don't understand how I don't have administrative privileges, but I can't save the file. It's in a private folder and although I can access and read it, I can't save it.

Since posting on here, I've tried many other methods. I've tried downloading the 4.3.3 ipsw and "cooking" a version using redsn0w so that it isn't Apple's own ipsw file (something about preserving the BB) but when I tried restoring my phone in iTunes, following their directions perfectly, I got an error message about my phone not being eligible for the build.

I've tried so many things and have hit countless dead ends. I didn't/don't want to jailbreak the phone, which is why I got the Gevey Ultra...supposedly real simple...it might be if they'd answer their "tech support." No I've spent 5 hours trying what should've been a simple unlock and I've still not gotten anywhere.

So right now, again, the problem I'm hitting is editing that host file and saving it. Did you have that problem or were you able to edit and save it? If I can't find a way to save it, I'm afraid I've hit another dead end.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, you definitely won't be able to install 4.3.3 unless you edit the hosts file. On a Mac it's pretty straightforward, open Terminal from Applications/Utilities, type "sudo" followed by a space, then drag the TextEdit app onto the terminal window. In the terminal window hit return, it should ask you for your password, and then TextEdit will start in administrative mode. Just use TextEdit to open your hosts file and it should save without a problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, so I found out how to change the administrator privileges, edited the hosts file, instituted recovery mode, started iTunes with the edited hosts files, and still got the same %*#*% message! Now the website is telling me:

"In order to return to standard mode, you simply need to download two utilities: TinyUmbrella (Windows, Mac) and Fix Recovery (Windows, Mac). Launch it and select Exit Recovery."

I downloaded both utilities. Then the instructions say "launch it and select recovery." Launch what? "it" denotes ONE option. Which "it" should I launch? TinyUmbrella "it" or Fix Recovery "it"? I didn't see any "exit recovery", it was not clickable...I only have fix recovery and I selected that and it did nothing.

This is ridiculous! From now on, I'm paying the extra money to buy the phone outright, at full price and unlocked, from the beginning. This is not worth saving a few pennies, only to be held down into a contract anyway. The next time I'm back in the U.S., I'm going back to the AT&T store to find the employee who told me that they would unlock the phone for me and, well, show this employee my appreciation for all this BS!

For that matter, I'm also going to pay the wonderful folks at Applenberry whose deceitful advertising states that their sim works in less than 3 minutes on 4.3.5 and I've literally spent now the entire day on this downloading like 4 programs to my iPhone and another 4 onto my laptop and who knows what these shady programs do...
    Last edited by MiRoUoS; 11-13-2011 at 08:47 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MiRoUoS View Post
    Ok, so I found out how to change the administrator privileges, edited the hosts file, instituted recovery mode, started iTunes with the edited hosts files, and still got the same %*#*% message!
    Which message? The one about your phone not being eligible for the build? If that's case, are you sure you're using the right ipsw? For an iPhone 4 you should be using iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw. Also, I think Apple might have changed something with the way iTunes checks the server... you could try using an older version of iTunes. iOS 4.3.3 was released May 4 2011, so any iTunes version after that should work.