Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Attempting to unlock iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.5 w/ Gevey SIM

iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw is the file I'm using. I've just tried it again. Now I'm stuck in TinyUmbrella again. I got the same message in iTunes about the iPhone can't be restored because it is not eligible for the build. As for iTunes, I'm using 10.5 but I don't know which version that is. I believe it's the latest.

So I can't go back to 4.3.3 and I'm stuck at 4.3.5 and still have a baseband of 04.10.01 so if anyone has any other tips other than the BS I just went through, I'm all ears. I guess I'll sit back and wait for the folks at Gevey to provide me with their "tech support."

Yeah, at least try iTunes 10.4 before giving up. I think the hosts file trick doesn't work with the latest version of iTunes, but it should continue working with the older versions of iTunes.

You should have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 to restore to it. Period

Yeah, but now I have to enter the realm of rolling back iTunes to 10.4 or perhaps earlier. Now I have to spend how ever many hours looking that up and doing that, then I can start all over again with iTunes 10.4 IF rolling back iTunes works. I've wasted an entire day on this and that's all I'm willing to waste.

I do have a few iPhone back ups in my iTunes, so I wonder what would happen if I restored my iPhone from a back up dated December 2010. Would that roll back the firmware AND baseband? I'm under the impression that restoring a phone from a backup essentially turns that phone into an exact clone, exactly the way it was at the time of the back up (without keeping the current, new, updated, 2011 4.3.5 and 04.10.01 baseband). Is this how it works? If I restore it from this back up, will all back ups saved after that disappear?

I did a back up a week ago before all this crap started, which I can restore to now essentially "un-jailbreaking" it which is fine. I can try the Gevey Ultra easy process again (probably won't work). However, if I give it a shot at restoring it from a back up from Dec 2010, will this back up I created last week still be available to me?

If I do restore it to the back up from 2010 and I successfully unlock it with the Gevey, can I then somehow restore my back up from last week so that my contacts, emails, etc are kind of current WHILE preserving the unlock?

I am not a tech guy, not in the least. I know as much about this hacking as I do about inter-galactic space relations in the 6th dimension going back to 1812...exactly! So, in other words, what the he!! is an SHSH blob? I had no intentions on ever having to even bother with this until AT&T refused to unlock the phone after I from New York to England after they promised they would. In England, for the same two year contract, you get the phones for free, unlike the U.S. or you can buy them alot cheaper than in the U.S. retail and they're sim free. Only the U.S. locks their phones in the way we all know and love!
    Last edited by MiRoUoS; 11-13-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
    You should have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 to restore to it. Period
    I know that's what everyone says, but how do you explain me being able to downgrade my iPhone from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 when I didn't have any SHSH blobs for it? Also, other people have done it too: Downgrade iOS 4.3.5 to 4.3.4 or 4.3.3 / Without SHSH blobs - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ctrl_freak View Post
    I know that's what everyone says, but how do you explain me being able to downgrade my iPhone from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 when I didn't have any SHSH blobs for it? Also, other people have done it too: Downgrade iOS 4.3.5 to 4.3.4 or 4.3.3 / Without SHSH blobs - YouTube
    In the video details it says :

"This does not work for iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPod Touch 4 and only works with iTunes 10.4"

SHSH Blobs have to be saved and sometimes it is saved and you don't even know about it

When I got the iPhone 4, it had 4.3.3 with JB and I ran Cydia once then I updated to 4.3.5 without knowing anything about SHSH coz I was a noob in iPhones

I was very angry coz I lost the Untethered JB and would be stuck with 4.3.5 Tethered for a long time. Then I started reading and found out that Cydia saved my 4.3.3 SHSH blobs automatically in that few minutes run on its server, so I could easily downgrade to 4.3.3 and was happy again

Oh, well here's another article that explains it:
    Downgrade iOS 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 without SHSH Blobs

Also, my iPhone had 4.3.5 preinstalled on it when I bought it... so I definitely did not have SHSH blobs for it.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what version my iPhone has, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, or 5.0...I couldn't care less if was JB or not...the ONLY thing that matters to me is by-passing the strangle hold has on my phone so that I can use it with any carrier. That is paramount and that is what I cannot do. I can JB it, install all kinds of crap on it, but at the end of the day, blobs, no blobs, JB or not, whatever version, I cannot make or receive calls or texts and that is all I want...I want my phone, that I paid $400 for, to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MiRoUoS View Post
    Frankly, I don't give a damn what version my iPhone has, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, or 5.0...I couldn't care less if was JB or not...the ONLY thing that matters to me is by-passing the strangle hold has on my phone so that I can use it with any carrier. That is paramount and that is what I cannot do. I can JB it, install all kinds of crap on it, but at the end of the day, blobs, no blobs, JB or not, whatever version, I cannot make or receive calls or texts and that is all I want...I want my phone, that I paid $400 for, to work.
    I felt exactly the same way when I was trying to unlock my iPhone. I understand your frustration, but just so you know it *is* possible if you try hard enough. I just tested this now, so I am pretty certain it will work:

1. Install iTunes 10.4.1
    2. Edit your hosts file
    3. Use iTunes to restore your iPhone to 4.3.3
    4. It will fail with an error, usually 1033 or something and your iPhone will be stuck in recovery mode
    5. Start your iPhone in DFU mode
    6. Go to redsn0w->extras->fix recovery and let it do its thing

And after a few minutes your iPhone will boot up in 4.3.3. Then you can run resn0w again to jailbreak it, and then do the FuriousMod method.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12