+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS unable to restore error 1015

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
iPhone 3GS Current firmware last working was 4.3.5 Baseband: 06.15.00 Need to unlock (but is not absolutely required) No SHSH’s saved New boot device Windows 7 I have attempted everything
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation iPhone 3GS unable to restore error 1015
    iPhone 3GS
    Current firmware last working was 4.3.5
    Baseband: 06.15.00
    Need to unlock (but is not absolutely required)
    No SHSH’s saved
    New boot device
    Windows 7

I have attempted everything I can think of at this point and am reaching out for some help here. I had an iOS 4.3.5 device that I jailbroke with 4.3.4 software - after doing so I used redsn0w to try to update the baseband so I could use it on my T-Mobile service. After doing this the device went into an endless loop of recovery. I have tried to restore using iTunes - i tried to create a sn0wbreeze IPSW to restore to in iTunes and got an error on the final part of the install. At this point the phone is stuck in DFU.

So my question; did I brick my phone completely?

Is there anything I can do to get a working phone (on T-Mobile or AT&T)?

Any help is very appreciated.

Allerix
    Last edited by allerix; 08-01-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Have you tried kicking the device out of recovery mode using TinyUmbrella?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes I have tried kicking it out with TinyUmbrella with no such luck, it just keeps going into recovery mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Get a stock 4.1 ipsw (downloads section here on MMi has it) and open iTunes, shift+restore to it. You'll likely get error 1015, open TU and use the "exit recovery" option.

Try that, it *should* work. If not, we can go a different route.

Green Apple
    Thanks

just had an identical thing happen to me today

get into DFU mode (not recovery)

the ONLY way i was able to get out of this bricked deal was to upgrade to the legit latest apple software. sucks, but a brick sucks more.

when in dfu open tiny umbrella and hit fix recovery. THEN i had to run this
    Get out of Recovery Mode in iPhone, iPad, iPod Touh, Exit Recovery Mode | unlocker.ws

It will then more than likely dro you BACK into recovery mode (if not great)
    if your still in recovery mode then open itunes (pull out all your previous restore data out)
    c:/documents and settings/ (your user profile)/ application data/ apple computer /iphone updater logs
    or just re install itunes

then open itunes and do a update restore legit. do not have tiny umbrealla open.
    I just learned that the 3gs's have some signature that wont allow itunes to shift+restore an older firmware like the 3g can.

hope that helps
    Last edited by TEvil; 08-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Get a stock 4.1 ipsw (downloads section here on MMi has it) and open iTunes, shift+restore to it. You'll likely get error 1015, open TU and use the "exit recovery" option.

Try that, it *should* work. If not, we can go a different route.
    Okay so that got it out of the brick style mode; the phone now has the updated ipad baseband 6.15.00 and it running firmware 4.1. Can I safely Jailbreak the phone now using 4.1? Or should I now update to 4.3.3 and then do a jailbreak from there?

At this point i'll wait for direction because last time didn't work out so well ^_^.

UPDATE:
    I was able to jailbreak the 4.1 and install ultrasn0w to unlock the phone for use on T-Mobile USA. Now the question I have is can I update to 4.3.3 and jailbreak the phone again even though I have the iPad Baseband 06.15.00 installed or will it just crash on me again?
    Last edited by allerix; 08-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You'll need SHSHs for 4.3.3 and you'd use a custom fw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I will have to research what that means and then figure out if that's something I can do. Thanks again for the help!

Green Apple
    Thanks

if its working on 4.1 why do you want to update to 4.3?
    just wait until there is a 5.0 JB available in a few months. Im stuck on a non JB 4.3 3gs now and i hate it but experimenting to just have a tethered JB doesnt seem like enough trouble for whats it worth. eventhough im missing Mywi horribly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TEvil View Post
    if its working on 4.1 why do you want to update to 4.3?
    just wait until there is a 5.0 JB available in a few months. Im stuck on a non JB 4.3 3gs now and i hate it but experimenting to just have a tethered JB doesnt seem like enough trouble for whats it worth. eventhough im missing Mywi horribly.
    I suppose there is no significant difference between 4.1 and 4.3 then? I had a hell of a time getting it to 4.1 with the right baseband too, so your right i'll probably just wait it out till iOS 5 is JB and can be used with T-Mobile USA via an unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allerix View Post
    Okay so that got it out of the brick style mode; the phone now has the updated ipad baseband 6.15.00 and it running firmware 4.1. Can I safely Jailbreak the phone now using 4.1? Or should I now update to 4.3.3 and then do a jailbreak from there?

At this point i'll wait for direction because last time didn't work out so well ^_^.

UPDATE:
    I was able to jailbreak the 4.1 and install ultrasn0w to unlock the phone for use on T-Mobile USA. Now the question I have is can I update to 4.3.3 and jailbreak the phone again even though I have the iPad Baseband 06.15.00 installed or will it just crash on me again?
    how did you unbrick it. i had 4.2.1 JB with 6.15.00 bb. i updated to 4.3.5 and get 1015

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

By restoring to custom firmware will bypass error

There isn't any cfw for 4.3.5 yet, only 4.3.3 if you have the blob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

got no blob

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Then , you can't

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Help!
    So I'm having the same problem (maybe?) as the OP. I was running 4.3.0 w/ a 6.15.00 bb. I bought the 3Gs with this firmware/bb already on it, and jailbroke/unlocked it using redsn0w. However, it never fully unlocked because my T-Mobile sim would never activate in the phone.

Somehow, through Cydia, I saved blobs for 4.1 and 4.3.5 on TU (I never had either on this phone, so how did they get there? I don't really understand the blob thing). I'm stuck in restore loop and can't get out. I'd rather have a stock phone instead of a bricked phone! Can anyone help?!?!

FYI, I've attempted to kick it out of this loop using TU, to no avail. I can enter DFU mode (how the phone is sitting right now) but can't seem to do anything else with it. I really don't care which firmware I try to put it back on, locked or unlocked, I just need it to work!

Thanks

Publish your iTunes restore log (the one that failed with 1015) - instructions are in my signature.
    Did you load the iPad baseband to allow unlock via ultrasn0w?

1015 means that you tried to downgrade your 3GS's baseband, this is prohibited by Apple's security model (you can downgrade the OS but not the baseband)
    The baseband controls the radio functions (making phone calls, 3G data traffic etc)

I can suggest you three solutions:

Make a custom IPSW (using pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze) with baseband update disabled - restore with this. This may fix the 1015 error.
    If you are restoring to iOS 4.2.1 - try using FixRecovery (downloadable from thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com)
    Restore to an older iOS version and use reboot to exit past the 1015 error

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimBrown View Post
    Publish your iTunes restore log (the one that failed with 1015) - instructions are in my signature.
    For some reason, I can't see yours, or anyone's signatures. I have signatures/avatars/etc enabled in the forum preferences, but they're not showing on my screen. Can you post or pm instructions so that I can find/post the log?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBrown View Post
    Make a custom IPSW (using pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze) with baseband update disabled - restore with this.
    Which custom firmware would you suggest? 4.1? 4.3.5? TU says that I have saved the SHSHs for both of those versions, or do the blobs even matter at this point? Also, which software would you recommend for use on a Mac, pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze?

Thanks!
    -Dennis