+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I unlock iphone 3GS with SFW 4.1 and MFW 05.14.02

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I usually read this forum but this will be my first post here. I want to use my iphone 3G S while I will be studying abroad starting this fall.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How do I unlock iphone 3GS with SFW 4.1 and MFW 05.14.02
    I usually read this forum but this will be my first post here.
    I want to use my iphone 3G S while I will be studying abroad starting this fall.

Is it possible to unlock my phone with Firmware 4.1 and Modem Firmware 05.14.02?
    If yes, how do I do it?

I dont know much about this stuff but I was able to jailbreak my phone couple of months ago through a software I installed at Dev-team.blog.org.

Thank you!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efet View Post

Is it possible to unlock my phone with Firmware 4.1 and Modem Firmware 05.14.02?
    If yes, how do I do it?
    Yes it is possible. You'll have to install the ipad baseband for this to work as the current baseband is not unlockable.

Run Redsn0w(rc16) and select stock 4.1 fw
    Its gonna ask you if you have an old or new bootrom. Say new (I will assume you have a new bootrom as the old one is really rare)
    Select Cydia if you aren't already jailbroken
    Select install ipad baseband
    Proceed through the rest of the steps on redsn0w to dfu your device and redsn0w will do the rest.
    Once the baseband has finished flashing go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w and your device will be unlocked.

Few words of advice:
    1. Once the ipad baseband is installed there is no going back. Its irreversible
    2. You will lose GPS function by installing this baseband

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Yes it is possible. You'll have to install the ipad baseband for this to work as the current baseband is not unlockable.

Run Redsn0w(rc16) and select stock 4.1 fw
    Its gonna ask you if you have an old or new bootrom. Say new (I will assume you have a new bootrom as the old one is really rare)
    Select Cydia if you aren't already jailbroken
    Select install ipad baseband
    Proceed through the rest of the steps on redsn0w to dfu your device and redsn0w will do the rest.
    Once the baseband has finished flashing go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w and your device will be unlocked.

Few words of advice:
    1. Once the ipad baseband is installed there is no going back. Its irreversible
    2. You will lose GPS function by installing this baseband
    ihappy thank you for the detailed explanation.
    But more importantly thank you for the warnings!
    Email, gps and internet browser are the only features I use with my phone.
    I also learned today that my contract is just expired with the Att.
    If I purchased an iphone 4 now, will I be able to unlock it without losing the gps feature?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ihappy thank you for the detailed explanation.
    But more importantly thank you for the warnings!
    Email, gps and internet browser are the only features I use with my phone.
    I also learned today that my contract is just expired with the Att.
    If I purchased an iphone 4 now, will I be able to unlock it without losing the gps feature?
    Yes. The unlock method is different for an iPhone 4 then it is for a 3G/3GS.

If you buy a carrier locked I4 then more likely its gonna be updated with one of the newest firmwares and basebands. The only way to unlock these is by using a Gevey sim or some other kind of turbo sim. You can always by a factory unlocked I4 and won't have to worry about being carrier locked but those are a bit pricey. The choice is yours though.

Here is some info on the Gevey sim:

GEVEY Ultra unlock iPhone 4 iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.1, 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3 baseband 1.59, 2.10, 3.10.1, 4.10.1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you have the extra money, buy an iPhone 4 and ask AT&T/Apple to unlock it. It'll be forever unlocked but of course will cost much more than one locked with contract. The resell value of a factory unlocked of course will be better than that of a locked one, so you'd still get more than half of what you spent on it back if you decide to sell in a year or two.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

AT&T unlocks them? I thought you had to go directly to the Apple Store to get an unlocked one.

Thanks

Yeah that sounds about right. I thought I read somewhere that you could choose to buy one from AT&T and they'll get Apple to unlock it upon checkout too, but maybe I am imagining that lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just called att. They told me that unlocked iphone 4 will cost 450-500 dollars more.
    I am on a tight budget right now. That amount will take away my laptop budget. But gevey options seems doable.

What sucks is that apple will introduce the new iphone in september. If I buy it now, my phone will be the older model in just a month
    Last edited by efet; 07-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I just called att. They told me that unlocked iphone 4 will cost 450-500 dollars more.
    I am on a tight budget right now. That amount will take away my laptop budget. But gevey options seems doable.

What sucks is that apple will introduce the new iphone in september. If I buy it now, my phone will be the older model in just a month
    Welcome the world of Apple and ATT. Push the old merchandise out to make room for the new ones

Thanks

It probably won't be long then so just wait for the new iPhone.