Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: the iphone could not be restored an unknown error occurred "1015"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

iTunes gives you 1600 bc you failed to put the device into pwned dfu mode. You didn't do it bc you used a 3.1.3 ipsw which redsn0w won't recognize.

You didn't specify which version of redsn0w you used either. If you're using the latest version you need to be using a stock 4.3.3 ipsw to get redsn0w to proceed and let you get into pwned dfu mode.

Why don't you just use iReb to put into pwned DFU mode. It'll probably be easier for you. Then when you're in pwned dfu mode the restore to custom fw will work.

I will try that ireb with the custom FW. I have 0.9.4 Redsnow. Again thanks so much for the help I will report6 back tonight after I try it

So I got Ireb and ran that and put the phone into pwned DFU which it confirmed then I opened itunes and tried to load up the 3.1.3 snowbreeze custom FW and just got the same 1601 error?
    Last edited by cushphil; 07-22-2011 at 09:23 PM.

OK, So I tried restoring 3.1.3 custom FW 3 times using itunes and then out of sheer morbid curiosity and desperation I tried it again using the snowbreeze 4.2.1 custom FW I had already made and it has worked fine all systems go. Hmmm. Well at least I got a result. Thanks to all and any further thoughts welcome.

Default Hi again
    Just a side Q, Can I jailbreak a phone that has already been jailbroken to fix cydia crash issues when there is no terminal or shsh options availible? Or do I have to statr with a fresh install?

Thanks

Re-jailbreaking over a jailbreak doesn't fix anything, if anything could cause more issues (in most cases unless otherwise stated by the devs). If you wish to do a rejailbreak, it is recommended to restore first.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Due to added security against downgrading your firmware, implemented by Apple, editing your hosts file is not only necessary, but is also not the only step involved in downgrading an iPhone. Here are the steps to get your iPhone back to the firmware you want:

Put your device into DFU mode first before restoring.

To put your iPod into DFU mode, hold down the power and home buttons for 10 seconds, letting go of the lock button but continuing to hold menu until iTunes recognizes the device with the message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes". Your screen should be pitch black at this point and should not show the connect to iTunes screen. If it does you messed up.

The DFU restore is different than the general restore. A general restore will set all settings back to defaults while a DFU restore completely expunges the device then re-injects the iOS operating system into it.

Before starting the DFU restore, make sure your hosts file is correctly configured. AND that you have SHSH blobs saved in Cydia.

In Windows Vista+7, go to the start menu, find notepad, right click it and click 'run as administrator'. From there click File > open. Navigate to Computer>Local Disk C>Windows>System32>drivers>etc. You may need to use the drop down menu to switch your view from .txt files to 'All files'. Open the hosts file and confirm that the last line of the hosts file says, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". If it does not, then add the line and save the file. If there is a "#" sign before it, remove that sign and then save.

In Mac OS X, go to spotlight, find terminal and open it. Enter, "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts". Hit enter, then enter your password. Confirm that the last line of the hosts file says, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". If it does not, then add the line and save the file. If there is a "#" sign before it, remove that sign and then save by pressing Ctrl + O and hitting enter. Then hit Cmd + Q and hit enter.

Once your hosts file is configured and you have SHSH blobs saved in Cydia, you are good to go to perform the restore. Editing the hosts file makes iTunes communicate with Cydia instead of Apple. This means Cydia will sign the outdated software for you as Apple will not.

After restoring you will be presented with a 10xx error. This is normal. Close out of iTunes after the error.

Download Tinyumbrella for Windows/OS X and Fix Recovery for Windows/OS X. Install and open Tinyumbrella and go to the folder that you downloaded the Fix Recovery to. Run the Fix recovery command from that folder not from Tinyumbrella, and be sure to select the right one, 43 is for iOS 4.3-4.3.3, 421 is for iOS 4.2.1.

It may be necessary to go to Tinyumbrella and run the exit recovery afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    ChSchuldiner
    Last edited by ChSchuldiner; 07-23-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Annie, How can I do a restore through itunes and keep the current BB as I dont really want to upgrade to the ipad bb that I have on the phone I got working yesterday? Cheers. BTW I have a few of these iphones with issues so please bare with me Thanks so much for all the help. this new phone is running 05.12.01 and 3.1.2.

Thanks

Being that it is an iPhone 3G, you can restore to stock 3.1.3 (or 3.1.2 if you'd like) without losing your unlockable baseband. Any stock firmware up to 4.0.2 has an unlockable baseband so you can use stock firmware without worry.

I would suggest a stock firmware just because creating a custom firmware on Windows requires sn0wbreeze and sn0wbreeze doesn't always do well with an iPhone 3G. Now if you have a Mac to use pwnagetool then that's a different story

My advice really is to do a standard shift+restore to stock 3.1.3. Be sure to download both the 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw, you'll want to restore to 3.1.3 but use 3.1.2 firmware for the jailbreaking process (with redsn0w 0.9.4).

You might get error 1015 so if that happens just open TinyUmbrella and use the "exit recovery mode" option (not fix recovery). Then you can jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.4 and the 3.1.2 ipsw as normal afterwards. Unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

Edit: this will only work with an iphone 3G, if it is a 3GS you will need SHSHs for restoring/upgrading/downgrading.

Hey again, So I must have done something wrong. I had the 3.1.3restore file from felixbruns and updated it in itunes and it has updated the dam BB to the ipad one again so I guess I will just have enter pwned dfu like the last phone and use the custom 4.2.1 FW I used last night which I made using snowbreeze Oh well at least I have fixed the phone. Thanks again. I will try the custom 3.1.3 custom fw again first just incase it works this time.

Thanks

? What do you mean it updated to the ipad one again? You would have to use redsn0w or pwnagetool/snowbreeze to update to the iPad baseband. I'm not quite sure what just happened here...

You mention the snowbreeze custom FW doesn't always do well. Should I use another programme to make the FW?? Thanks Annie.

Sorry my bad it has BB 05.12.01. So do I now just enter pwned dfu and use the snowbreeze 3.1.3 custom FW. Or should I make my custom FW using another programme as you said snowbreeze doesn't always do well?? Thanks for all the help, I am learning lots
    Last edited by cushphil; 07-23-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks

Ok well is this an iPhone 3G?

If it is an iPhone 3G you can just follow the steps I outlined previously. Here:

Being that it is an iPhone 3G, you can restore to stock 3.1.3 (or 3.1.2 if you'd like) without losing your unlockable baseband. Any stock firmware up to 4.0.2 has an unlockable baseband so you can use stock firmware without worry.

I would suggest a stock firmware just because creating a custom firmware on Windows requires sn0wbreeze and sn0wbreeze doesn't always do well with an iPhone 3G. Now if you have a Mac to use pwnagetool then that's a different story

My advice really is to do a standard shift+restore to stock 3.1.3. Be sure to download both the 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw, you'll want to restore to 3.1.3 but use 3.1.2 firmware for the jailbreaking process (with redsn0w 0.9.4).

You might get error 1015 so if that happens just open TinyUmbrella and use the "exit recovery mode" option (not fix recovery). Then you can jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.4 and the 3.1.2 ipsw as normal afterwards. Unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 07-23-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Sweet as, So to do the jailbreak process using redsn0w 0.9.4 I need to use the stock 3.1.2 firmware and not a custom FW correct? Thanks Annie.

Thanks

Yeah you do the restore to original firmware 3.1.3. Then to jailbreak you use redsn0w 0.9.4 and a 3.1.2 original firmware. Don't use any custom firmwares throughout any of this...

YAY, All go, I feel like I should be paying you Thanks again Annie, Until the next time??

Thanks

I only get paid when I do the physical work... Glad you got it all worked out.

Hi again one of the phones I JB/unlocked is no longer charging it just displays the attached image and nothing I do will get rid of the image. I can get the phone into DFU and do a restore but when the phone reboots it just displays the image again. I was wondering if any of you had experience with this issue? Cheers. ps I have tried multiple charger adapters and cables etc with no luck.
    Last edited by cushphil; 07-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cushphil View Post
    Hi again one of the phones I JB/unlocked is no longer charging it just displays the attached image and nothing I do will get rid of the image. I can get the phone into DFU and do a restore but when the phone reboots it just displays the image again. I was wondering if any of you had experience with this issue? Cheers. ps I have tried multiple charger adapters and cables etc with no luck.
    Can b hardware issue
    She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back
    she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic

Default Hi all
    I just jailbreaked another phone running the ipad BB with a 4.2.1 custom FW. and it all went fine like I have done before however when I unlocked it using ultrasnow it will only search for a network but not find one. Any ideas??? Cheers all.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In a few rare cases, reinstalling the iPad BB (one option only) will help. Redsn0w can do that easily.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast