+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS unlocking?!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone, I'm planning on selling my iPhone 3GS running 5.0 Beta 1. It is locked to Fido (Canadian provider). Seeing that it is in my best interest to have
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default 3GS unlocking?!
    Hello everyone,

I'm planning on selling my iPhone 3GS running 5.0 Beta 1. It is locked to Fido (Canadian provider).

Seeing that it is in my best interest to have it unlocked in order to bring in more coin, I should go through with the unlock.

However, I need to know if it's a better idea to go down to 4.2.1 (I have the SHSHs) rather than 4.3.3.

Furthermore, some iPhone 3GSs keep GPS while others don't; what determines this phenomena?

All advice, comments, tips, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Going down to 4.2.1 will probably be your best bet but its a matter of choice. There have been conflicting stories as to if 4.3.3 is stable
    enough for the 3GS. Some say it works fine while others say its horrible.

The GPS issue has always been an issue when using the 06.15.00 ipad baseband. Anything past the 05.13.04 bb will result in having to use the ipad bb for unlocking purposes.

Thanks

What I meant to say was that some 3GS lose their GPS while other 3GS do not, what's up with that?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    What I meant to say was that some 3GS lose their GPS while other 3GS do not, what's up with that?
    We don't know. Maybe the dev-team doesn't either. If they do they're not sharing

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My guess is they all lose their GPS, just that some people don't realize it because the phone still can find location based on cell tower and Wifi. I remember at times, even my original iPhone without GPS could do a fairly good job finding my location.
    I don't know if unlocking with the iPad BB will help its value or not. Some people might want to buy it as an upgrade from an original or 3G iPhone and won't want GPS to be permanently broken on it, and those who want iPad BB could install it themselves quite easily.
    Then again, I got $100 more for a 3GS unlocked w/preserved BB and maybe most people don't know the difference between preserved and iPad BB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    My guess is they all lose their GPS, just that some people don't realize it because the phone still can find location based on cell tower and Wifi. I remember at times, even my original iPhone without GPS could do a fairly good job finding my location.
    I don't know if unlocking with the iPad BB will help its value or not. Some people might want to buy it as an upgrade from an original or 3G iPhone and won't want GPS to be permanently broken on it, and those who want iPad BB could install it themselves quite easily.
    Then again, I got $100 more for a 3GS unlocked w/preserved BB and maybe most people don't know the difference between preserved and iPad BB.
    In recent news I read that a fairly high majority of people do not know how to work their smartphones. My best guess is that they won't even upgrade it's firmware, let alone know the difference in firmwares and baseband.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Statistics show a very high % of iDevice users are on the latest iOS. Not a surprise though since iTunes makes it appear upgrades are necessary and required.

Thanks

I'll add a disclaimer not to update; Things should fly.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I agree ... Don't update unless you must