+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Factory/IMEI unlock Iphone 4

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi Forum Member, I recently bought an Iphone 4, the vendor told me that it was on Vodafone UK and it was unlocked from the service provider. Like a wise
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Factory/IMEI unlock Iphone 4
    Hi Forum Member,

    I recently bought an Iphone 4, the vendor told me that it was on Vodafone UK and it was unlocked from the service provider. Like a wise guy i believed the guy and paid good amount for the device. Since it very hard to get a Micro Sim in India i had to wait for sometime to get my hand on Micro Sim Cutter. I got hold of one and made a micro sim with a normal sim which was lying around in my home.

    The device does not show any signal or carrier name after inserting the sim into the device, so when online and started researching about the issue. I thought it might due to the sim, tired couple of other sim also. So finally i went to checkmend.com see whether the phone was stolen one or any other issue with them. I am came to know that the phone 's IMEI number is currently blocked in UK and it was and also an insurance claim was registered against the device.

    After reading through the site i came to know that the device can be used in foreign countries without any issue. Since the device was blocked in UK is there any possibility that i could unlock the device and use it ( India). Since the device is on BB 03.10.01 i know that Ultrasn0w is out of my options


    PLEASE HELP ME OUT ON THIS ISSUE; PAID GOOD AMOUNT FOR GETTING HOLD OF THE DEVICE AND I DON'T TO USE THE DEVICE AS AN EXPENSIVE IPOD

  2. #2
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,903
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    If it's blocked it doesn't matter what country you use it in. It is a completely blocked device via IMEI. It's useless especially since there's an insurance claim on it which of course means it has been reported lost or stolen.

    This means the only way to get the phone working and unblocked again is for the original owner to do so.

    Sorry to say but you got screwed over... It's up to you what you think you should do with the phone now. There's absolutely no other way to get it working for you...

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hi i.Annie,

    I researched about the topic and can to know that we can use the device outside of UK since the IMEI is locked to UK network. I have read that so many people have successfully using blocked/barred device abroad.

  4. #4
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,903
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I disagree, but I'm not going to impose that on you. An IMEI block does not simply block carriers specific to countries, it blocks the entire device.

    But if you want to try to unlock it and see anyway, get a Gevey SIM. it's $30 on applenberry.com.

    Or check eBay for any Gevey SIMs, some may be cheaper but they may also be fake. But apparently the fake ones works to unlock as well.

    That is your only option of unlocking an iPhone unless your current carrier can factory unlock it for you. If not the Gevey is your unlocking option.

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hi Annie,

    Do you think that a blocked iphone can be unlocked with an imei unlock

  6. #6
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,903
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    If the device is blocked, it doesn't matter what method you choose to unlock it with, if it is reported lost/stolen it is disabled. You won't be able to do anything with it whether you factory unlock it, software unlock it, or "hardware" unlock it.

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,067
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Annie, in the UK when an iPhone is blocked as in the IMEI it is only blocked by the carrier. I am certain of this because I recently helped someone with the same problem. You cannot use a phone that has be blocked on O2 for example but you can go ahead and use the phone on 3. It isn't like here in the U.S where they completely disable the device. Sorry if you know this, but i wasnt very sure.

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    @ i.Annie,

    That means i can't use the device even with gevey sim, are you sure about that

    @ str4y

    so you mean that i can use my mobile in India, so could you help me out on that issue

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,067
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    You will need to use the gevey sim as Annie had suggested before.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,067
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Changing an IMEI is illegal

  12. #12
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    If the device is blocked, it doesn't matter what method you choose to unlock it with, if it is reported lost/stolen it is disabled. You won't be able to do anything with it whether you factory unlock it, software unlock it, or "hardware" unlock it.
    Even though you speak with such conviction your information is inaccurate. When an Imei is blocked in the UK it is blocked only by the UK carriers. There is an agreement between the UK carriers and being blocked on one means you are blocked on all. Provided you can unlock the phone it can be used in any other country. There is no International agreements on Imei blocking. There should be, but it does not exist.

    Att does not even block Imei for lost or stolen phones. Of course this is not much use to the user because the phone is still locked and at that baseband ultrasnow is useless and his only option is a gevey sim.

  13. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,067
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Even though you speak with such conviction your information is inaccurate. When an Imei is blocked in the UK it is blocked only by the UK carriers. There is an agreement between the UK carriers and being blocked on one means you are blocked on all. Provided you can unlock the phone it can be used in any other country. There is no International agreements on Imei blocking. There should be, but it does not exist.

    Att does not even block Imei for lost or stolen phones. Of course this is not much use to the user because the phone is still locked and at that baseband ultrasnow is useless and his only option is a gevey sim.
    Pretty much what i stated before.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  14. #14
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,903
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I'm inclined to believe the above stated, however I can't entirely agree. If the device is blocked by the carrier then certainly what you've stated makes sense. However, if the device is truly blocked, it becomes disabled and lacks access. I've had first hand experience with a disabled/blocked device, which I'll assume was blocked by Apple and not by a carrier.

    Although, if this is a carrier block, by all means unlock it and give it a go. If you're still able to access the device and it is not completely disabled, logically speaking it might be fine after an unlock.

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,026
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 103 Times in 102 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    If the device is truly blocked, it becomes disabled and lacks access. I've had first hand experience with a disabled/blocked device, which I'll assume was blocked by Apple and not by a carrier.
    I have to agree with this statement. If the device in question has a blocked imei for insurance claim purposes then it would stand to reason that apple would be the one blocking the device's imei and not the carrier since most carriers will not agree to cover lost/stolen devices and if apple has blacklisted the device then it would stand to reason that all the device's functions would be disabled rendering it completely uesless.

  16. #16
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts

    IMEI blocking is on the carrier level, and I have read that (as has been mentioned before) the UK carriers all have an agreement to block the same IMEIs and there is no international agreement. However, I have read that it's possible that all EU carriers have an agreement so it's semi-international. Seeing as OP wants to use this UK iPhone outside of the UK and even outside of the EU, I think it should work with a Gevey SIM.

    I have never heard of Apple disabling a device through iTunes, and that is how they would need to do it. I have never even heard of Apple being involved in IMEI blocking.

  17. #17
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,903
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    There's clearly different levels of blocking. I have seem a completely disabled device. No restore or jailbreak can get the device to access the springboard and consistently reports you to turn the device into Apple.

    When given AT&T the device, they told me they couldn't do anything about it and I had to give it to Apple, I had to tell my customer that I couldn't fix it. It was blocked and disabled.

    I can agree with you to say some devices might work outside the country that it's blocked from ONLY IF there is still access to the device's springboard. If there is no access it is completely blocked and useless.

    So let's consider that IMEI blocks can be on a carrier level just as much as it can be done on Apple because you've seen one, and I've seen the other.

  18. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,026
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 103 Times in 102 Posts

    This is exactly what I was trying to get at when stating imei blocking for insurance purposes. carriers handle imei blocking totally different then Apple does and if you ask me the creator of the device has alot more access then the actual service provider.

  19. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    So guy should i risk it to get the biscuit and try an imei unlock, i know that gevey sim work.

  20. #20
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    This is exactly what I was trying to get at when stating imei blocking for insurance purposes. carriers handle imei blocking totally different then Apple does and if you ask me the creator of the device has alot more access then the actual service provider.
    There are ways that apple can block phones from activating or connecting to itunes but it would not be by using the IMEI number. This is used strictly by the carriers and apple never sees the IMEI when the phone is on the network.

    IMEI blocking exist for any phone type, is done by the carriers and is not universal.

    Want to know more about IMEI read here International Mobile Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts