Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Factory/IMEI unlock Iphone 4

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's interesting to know, thank you. Now then, I'm curious as to how Apple completely disables a device without iTunes. I'm curious because the device I worked with could only do one thing which was to display a pop up saying to take it to Apple or call Apple. Restoring did nothing and jailbreaking also did nothing.

But then again the owner did try to restore before so maybe hooking it up to iTunes for a restore defaulted it to forever display that message...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    There are ways that apple can block phones from activating or connecting to itunes but it would not be by using the IMEI number. This is used strictly by the carriers and apple never sees the IMEI when the phone is on the network.

IMEI blocking exist for any phone type, is done by the carriers and is not universal.

Want to know more about IMEI read here International Mobile Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I have read that article before but what I am trying to say is that Apple still has a hand in locking the device may not be with the imei number in general but they still do especially here in the states as the carrier will most likely give you the run around claiming they can not lock the device since its an insurance claim and must be dealt with Apple. The laws must be different internationally but in the US the carrier will more then likely report you to Apple's AppleCare program. Apple then says you must talk to your carrier about getting the phone's imei locked so its an endless cycle until someone decides to actually take the initiative to lock the device and help out.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    That's interesting to know, thank you. Now then, I'm curious as to how Apple completely disables a device without iTunes. I'm curious because the device I worked with could only do one thing which was to display a pop up saying to take it to Apple or call Apple. Restoring did nothing and jailbreaking also did nothing.

But then again the owner did try to restore before so maybe hooking it up to iTunes for a restore defaulted it to forever display that message...
    Could it have been passcode locked? I have read about some people being unable to restore in that instance.
    It could also have been a general hardware failure message.
    Or the most far-fetched idea, maybe it was a prototype device.

Thanks

It was not a passcode lock. With passcode locks, the disabled screen is not the same as the one I was dealing with. It was simply a plain popup that said to take the device to Apple or call the number provided. I doubt it was a hardware failure. The device was fine before the owner had said she restored and this is what happened. That's why she needed me to fix it bc no restore could fix it. I attempted hacktivation regular upgrade regular restore, it would all complete but default to the same message. Simply to take it to Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe he just means the phone is locked to VodafoNe uk?
    If you are in India pm me. I can try helping

Thanks

Yes that's been established as a possible issue

How am I supposed to know I've never done it before lmao.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

It's illegal, we don't help on that. It's a federal offense by the way, it's not a small punishment. But sure it would work, it's also not an easy task

Edit: Any further discussion on this will result in a closed thread, so move on and stay on topic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12