+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade Iphone 3G Baseband to fix GPS without losing unlock? bootloader 5.8

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey everyone, I was given an old Iphone 3g when my friend got the new IP4. Because I am a college student and go to a school with ubiquitous wifi,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Downgrade Iphone 3G Baseband to fix GPS without losing unlock? bootloader 5.8
    Hey everyone,

I was given an old Iphone 3g when my friend got the new IP4. Because I am a college student and go to a school with ubiquitous wifi, I set the iphone up with my google voice account (using GV Extensions for SMS and Phone), and it has worked well so far. Basically, I use this as a replacement for my cell phone (which is through sprint and liked to GV) whenever I am on campus and have wifi.

I was given the phone without a sim card. I unlocked using pwnage tool (because I didnt have a sim card so I couldnt activate) and used SAM and push doctor to fix push notifications. In the process, i upgraded the baseband to 06.15.00

This disabled my GPS, but I didnt really mind. However, this same friend gave me his old AT&T Sim card afterwards (inactive) and suggested that I could downgrade the baseband using fuzzyband (because I have bootloader 5.8). He said I could either re-unlock at a lower baseband that would have my GPS working correctly again, or perhaps I could even use his old inactive at&t sim to activate my phone (without a plan, just to get past the emergency calls only screen. I only need wifi for the voip and google voice apps I use).

My questions are (in no particular order):
    1. Can i downgrade my baseband and which one should I do to fix my GPS? Will this break my unlock and/or jailbreak and my push notifications?
    2. Will I have to software unlock the phone or can I use his old inactive sim card to just get past the emergency screen (again, I do not need the sim card for anything other than maybe activate. everything is over wifi).
    3. Is this possible without fully wiping my iphone?

Thanks for the help; I really appreciate it

Some specs that may be useful:
    baseband: 06.15.00
    Bootloader: 5.8
    F0recast says it is unlocakable and jailbreakable (which I already know).

Thanks for the help!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've read the same about your bootloader version and Fuzzyband, so I think it can be downgraded.
    Unlocked and activated aren't the same thing. Activated simply means the phone is able to be used, as opposed to an unactivated phone which won't even let you into the apps menu. Unlocked means you can use it with a non AT&T SIM card.
    It sounds like you aren't using the cellular part of the phone, therefore, you don't even need an unlock.

But yes, you can fix GPS by downgrading the baseband. 5.13.04 is the newest Ultrasn0w unlockable baseband where GPS will work.
    If you are not using the phone function of the phone, you can just use an inactive SIM to activate and get past the emergency screen, and not worry about baseband or unlocking.
    I've never used Fuzzyband, so I don't know if it requires a wipe or not.