+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Gevey unlock?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've been reading a bit lately and it seems like this is the new "tool" to unlock Iphone 4's. Do they actually work? I've been waiting months for an unlock
...
  1. #1
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Gevey unlock?
    I've been reading a bit lately and it seems like this is the new "tool" to unlock Iphone 4's. Do they actually work? I've been waiting months for an unlock and it seems like its finally come out but I'm not so sure if they work. I haven't been around here since MMI changed its layout (I hate it now, it was so much easier to search and stuff before) but please enlighten me. I just purchased one off eBay and I'm hoping it works.

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Yes. Majority of them do work.

  3. #3
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Real or fake Gevey they all seem to work fine. There are always downsides to using turboSIMs but that should be expected. Occasional signal drop, might require rebooting to kick it back up, data not consistently working, MMS as well, etc. Some people experience these side effects and some don't, but just *expect* that turboSIMs work but are not perfect

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    jbou91 (07-19-2011)

  5. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Real or fake Gevey they all seem to work fine. There are always downsides to using turboSIMs but that should be expected. Occasional signal drop, might require rebooting to kick it back up, data not consistently working, MMS as well, etc. Some people experience these side effects and some don't, but just *expect* that turboSIMs work but are not perfect
    I guess I should've explained that better. Glad I had you to cover that for me. I assume too much sometimes

  6. #5
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    You did fine lol.

  7. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I never heard of them, had to do a google search to see what the hell they were. I can't seem to find a unlock for IP4 03.10.01 baseband besides this Gevey stuff. Hopefully it does the job....

  8. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jbou91 View Post
    I never heard of them, had to do a google search to see what the hell they were. I can't seem to find a unlock for IP4 03.10.01 baseband besides this Gevey stuff. Hopefully it does the job....
    Yeah, unfortunately this is the only way to unlock your ip4 with a baseband higher than 1.59.00. It will definitely do the trick for you

  9. #8
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately this is the only way to unlock your ip4 with a baseband higher than 1.59.00. It will definitely do the trick for you
    No wonder. I'm still rocking 4.0 with 1.59.00 on my personal iPhone 4. I definitely won't upgrade or anything..

    Thanks for the help!

  10. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jbou91 View Post
    No wonder. I'm still rocking 4.0 with 1.59.00 on my personal iPhone 4. I definitely won't upgrade or anything..
    If you really want to, you can update the firmware if you preserve the baseband (using pwnagetool or snowbreeze to create custom firmware). Definitely preserve that BB though because the ultrasnow software unlock is a billion times better than gevey.

  11. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by weaksos1 View Post
    If you really want to, you can update the firmware if you preserve the baseband (using pwnagetool or snowbreeze to create custom firmware). Definitely preserve that BB though because the ultrasnow software unlock is a billion times better than gevey.
    I'd rather not risk it, I have no complaints using 4.0.

    --

    So I got the Gevey in the mail and I installed it. Sometimes the welcome menu doesn't pop up but when it does I CAN activate the phone. Works perfect minus the text messages not working. How do I go about doing that? Plus, I don't think its a legitmate Gevey, I got it for like $5 on eBay.

  12. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Its possible that its a fake but couldn't tell you for sure. If it works then thats all that matters right.

    Is it your SMS thats not working or your MMS? Most users having a Gevey unlock have problems with the MMS more than the SMS.

  13. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Its possible that its a fake but couldn't tell you for sure. If it works then thats all that matters right.

    Is it your SMS thats not working or your MMS? Most users having a Gevey unlock have problems with the MMS more than the SMS.
    You're absolutely right.

    SMS, not too worried about the MMS. It gives me an error message almost instantly, but I forgot what it says. The text does not go through though.

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Try toggling the data roaming off and then on. It definitely sounds like something isn't catching. Make sure the apn settings are correct as well.

  15. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I'll try that. What do the APN settings have to be set at?

  16. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jbou91 View Post
    I'll try that. What do the APN settings have to be set at?
    Whatever carrier you are using.

  17. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Error message is:

    Free msg: Unable to send message - Message blocking is active

  18. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    That sounds like the carrier has blocked your messaging package. You might have to call customer service and find out whats going on as I have never seen that message before. Sorry

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

    jbou91 (07-19-2011)

  20. #18
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Weird, I'll find out.. Thanks

  21. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 104 Times in 103 Posts

    Hope everything works out for you

  22. #20
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thanks, you've helped me tons. I appreciate it!

    One more quick question, I saw on one of the Gevey welcome menu (where it says accept) there is a tool on Cydia to automatically install the unlock upon start up. Any idea what that is called?
    Last edited by jbou91; 07-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts