+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Existing AT&T Customer Activation

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi guys, I just bought a used iPhone 3G off of eBay and before it arrives at my house, I just wanted to make sure of something. My question is
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Existing AT&T Customer Activation
    Hi guys, I just bought a used iPhone 3G off of eBay and before it arrives at my house, I just wanted to make sure of something. My question is about the activation process of the iPhone. I am an existing AT&T customer with a working SIM card, and a plan without data, and don't plan on getting a new contract or new plan when activating the iPhone, and especially do not want to have to pay for a data plan. Thus:

When I activate the iPhone, and I check that I am an existing AT&T customer, will Apple force me to get a data plan? If so, is it necessary to hacktivate it to get around the activation? I have a feeling that hacktivation would not work because I have an approved carrier already. Thanks for your time guys.

Oh and by the way, to avoid using any data at all, I will just turn off 3G in the iOS 4 settings. I won't get picture messages or virtual voicemail... but oh well, I can deal with it. I'm around wifi 95% of the time anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

youll be forced as they run off the imei number so it will likely get flagged and added automatically.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've heard that was a rumor... the guys at my local at&t store (who actually really chill and have been supplying me with loads of info for trying to get around the data plan, they don't care at all) have told me that this is not true.

Do you know anything about the original question though?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ATT will call you force you to have a data plan since you are using a smartphone. It doesn't matter if you are out of contract or not.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by majordomo View Post
    ATT will call you force you to have a data plan since you are using a smartphone. It doesn't matter if you are out of contract or not.
    This is correct. Because they can trace your IMEI they will add a data plan automatically to your account. You could always go the prepaid route and just get the basic $15 100mb plan. Either way you're stuck with getting a data plan.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I would try and see. If you turn off mobile data, you might not ever get flagged. I know two people, both used iPhones on their standard non-data plans and never had a problem. One had an original iPhone and the other had a 3G.