+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 unlocking help for newbie please!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My wife and I both have jailbroken AT&T iPhone 4s. Mine is running iOS 4.1, modem firmware 02.10.04 My wife's is running iOS 4.2.1, modem firmware 03.10.01 I jailbroke them
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 unlocking help for newbie please!
    My wife and I both have jailbroken AT&T iPhone 4s.
    Mine is running iOS 4.1, modem firmware 02.10.04
    My wife's is running iOS 4.2.1, modem firmware 03.10.01
    I jailbroke them both using greenpois0n.

We are travelling to the UK for a few weeks this summer and would like to use our iPhone 4s there. We used to live there and still have accounts and SIM cards with one of the UK networks O2.

I'm slightly nervous at attempting to unlock the phones in case all doesn't go according to plan and things don't work the way they should.
    From what I've discovered, it looks like ultrasn0w is the tool to use.
    But looking at it in the Cydia store it says it's compatible with iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 (and other basebands for iPhone 3G/3GS).

Will this work on both our phones with their current configuration?
    Or do I need to upgrade both phones to iOS 4.3.3, re-jailbreak (greenp0ison?) and then unlock (will I then have 01.59.00)

Hoping someone out there can help me.
    Many thanks

Thanks

Unfortunately you cannot unlock either of those phones at this current point in time using software. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by 01steven View Post
    (will I then have 01.59.00)
    You cannot downgrade the baseband at any time. You will need to seek temporary replacement phones for your trip. There may be hardware options though. I think it's called a Gevey Sim or something like that...
    Last edited by Turnamental; 06-18-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turnamental View Post
    Unfortunately you cannot unlock either of those phones at this current point in time using software. Sorry

You cannot downgrade the baseband at any time. You will need to seek temporary replacement phones for your trip. There may be hardware options though. I think it's called a Gevey Sim or something like that...
    He is correct. The only way to unlock your phone at this point is to use a turbo sim like Gevey. If you're a pretty smooth talker then you might try asking O2 to IMEI unlock both your phones. Its an extremely long shot though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

if you still currently an o2 customer, they should be able to unlock you. here some info from the o2 site.

Unlocking Apple iPhone
    Pay Monthly and Business customers
    Your iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 can be unlocked at any time, free of charge. If you unlock your iPhone and put a non-O2 sim into it, you will still have to honour the remainder of the minimum term of your O2 contract.

Pay & Go customers
    You can unlock your iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 for a one-off 15 charge. The payment for this will come from your top up balance.

But if you unlock iPhone less than 12 months after you bought it, you'll lose the free Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On that we added for the first 12 months (if you have it).

What do I need to do?
    First, complete the unlocking form. It will take up to 14 days for your iPhone to be unlocked. We'll send you a text to confirm the unlock request.

Then place a non-O2 sim into iPhone and connect to iTunes via a USB cable. iTunes will confirm that iPhone has been unlocked successfully.

Having trouble unlocking your iPhone? Visit our FAQs to find out more.

Remember, if you have set up a low balance Auto top-up, after we take your one-off 15 unlocking charge, we'll then top up your mobile automatically if taking the 15 payment takes you below your low balance amount. To update or cancel your Auto top-up, go to autotopup.o2.co.uk.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    if you still currently an o2 customer, they should be able to unlock you. here some info from the o2 site.
    Surely that only applies to an O2 iPhone? Mine is from AT&T.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't think O2 can unlock AT&T iPhones, although it doesn't hurt to try.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Interesting thread about this here:
    O2 unlock on ATT cutomers

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01steven View Post
    Interesting thread about this here:
    O2 unlock on ATT cutomers
    As I stated before it can be done but its gonna take alot of trying and convincing to get O2 to finally unlock your phone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That is interesting. I would gladly pay a legit O2 customer to submit my IMEI for unlocking. I wonder what the success rate would be if a legit O2 customer were to submit my IMEI?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

o2 did the IMEI unlock on my ip4. this was way back when they didnt check IMEI locations.

but i think the OP has a chance eventhough his ip4 was not purchased from o2. just use it on the network (ATT sim in UK inside o2 network) and ask them to unlock. tell them you want to be a pay as you go customer.

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post