+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS baseband 5.13.04

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all! So I am new to unlocking phones and whatnot. Ive been able to unlock an iPhone 2G and 3G. But I am going to sell my 3G and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS baseband 5.13.04
    Hi all! So I am new to unlocking phones and whatnot. Ive been able to unlock an iPhone 2G and 3G. But I am going to sell my 3G and buy a 3GS.

The person I am buying the 3GS from has a baseband of 5.13.04, this version is supported by ultrasn0w so I understand how to unlock since it should be the same process as I did when unlocking my iphone 3G.

Now when I unlocked the iPhone 3G i used this custom firmware listed on here:
    **Don't post links to forums/repos that support piracy + no custom firmware links due to copyright**

It worked perfectly fine. So I was looking at that same thread and thinking that I will be doing the same process. Only problem on that website it says that it will ONLY work for oldbootrom?

Is this true? I will only be able to unlock it if it is an oldbootrom? Is there any method to unlock it if it has a newbootrom? If so is it a permanent method or is it just tethered? Thanks
    Last edited by i.Annie; 06-19-2011 at 02:52 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't think it was the unlock that depended on bootrom, it was for the jailbreak. Old bootrom could have an untethered jailbreak while new bootrom required a tethered jailbreak. I don't believe this is true any more and new bootrom can be untethered as well. I would just update to a pwned 4.3.3, rather than 4.0 that you linked to.

iOS 4.3.3 Custom IPSW Untethered Jailbroken / Activated Download - iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, Apple TV 2G
    If that link gets edited out, it's the 2nd result google search result using this search, "4.3.3 3gs bootrom untethered" (the geohot domain). There are links to untethered jailbroken IPSWs for both new and old bootrom.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Old vs. new bootrom really doesn't make any difference in unlocking your phone so just get the latest version of Snowbreeze and a stock 4.3.3 ipsw and let snowbreeze cook it then shift+click restore to install thru itunes. After that go to cydia, get latest ultrasn0w install and reboot. Unlocked.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Old and new bootrom is not an issue as of today's newer firmwares, at the moment. In regards to how the bootroms matter, it used to be that old boot devices are always untethered (jailbreak related, not unlock related). New boot devices occasionally will get tethered jailbreaks on firmware releases until the devs come out with an official untethered version. But 4.3.3 is fully untethered for both old and new boot devices.

Anyhow, you're wanting to get the 3GS. That device is fine for you to jailbreak it as it is on whatever firmware it is on, and unlock via Ultrasn0w from Cydia. Depending on what firmware, there are different jb tools you can choose from.

If it isn't already upgraded to 4.3.3, and you'd like to, then you could use Sn0wbreeze to create your own 4.3.3 firmware to restore to. If you don't need 4.3.3, just jailbreak it as it is now.