+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g on AT&T without a data plan?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey all! So I'm pretty new to this, but I was wondering if it's possible to use an iPhone 3g, on AT&T, without a data plan. That is, internet-wise, I'd
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey all!

So I'm pretty new to this, but I was wondering if it's possible to use an iPhone 3g, on AT&T, without a data plan.

That is, internet-wise, I'd only be using wifi (I'd still be texting, calling, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

I've been told that if I just disable 3G and location services, that'll be enough so AT&T doesn't notice I'm using an iPhone without a data plan. Is this true?

Would unlocking my phone on top of that make it any safer?

Thanks

Don't unlock. Yea just turn off 3G and cellular data. Then it would make you use WiFi to use any data. Then AT&T won't notice.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xXrkidXx For This Useful Post:

georbl (06-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh okay. So I shouldn't even bother unlocking because I'm still going to be using AT&T.

Can I still leave 3G on or will AT&T be able to detect it's an iPhone?

(cause I want to use tethering without a data plan, using mywi... ambitious but is it possible?)
    Yo rkid I actually have the same phone as you - iPhone 3g, 4.2.1 haha.
    Last edited by georbl; 06-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Many people will tell you, they'll be able to tell simply by your iPhone's IMEI and bill you for it. On the other hand, my brother-in-law had an iPhone 3G on AT&T without a data plan for a long time. One time, he accidentally racked up a huge data bill, not realizing his phone was using data. He called, explained what happened, and had mobile data turned off entirely. He was never asked to or forced to use a mobile data plan despite having an iPhone 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Many people will tell you, they'll be able to tell simply by your iPhone's IMEI and bill you for it. On the other hand, my brother-in-law had an iPhone 3G on AT&T without a data plan for a long time. One time, he accidentally racked up a huge data bill, not realizing his phone was using data. He called, explained what happened, and had mobile data turned off entirely. He was never asked to or forced to use a mobile data plan despite having an iPhone 3G.
    Ah, lucky guy! I hope that's still a possibility now though.. (to have a 3G without having a data plan)
    So would you say that if I just used wifi, texts, and phone with cellular data and 3G off, AT&T will still see the IMEI and still tack on the data plan?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by georbl View Post
    So would you say that if I just used wifi, texts, and phone with cellular data and 3G off, AT&T will still see the IMEI and still tack on the data plan?
    Yes, that's what other people have told me, but my brother-in-law's experience seems to contradict that.
    My dad also had a friend who he gave an original AT&T iPhone to as a gift. I was told they'd force the $60/month EDGE data plan on the original iPhone as well. That was not her experience either. She did the same, accidentally racked up a huge amount in data, called, had them shut off mobile data entirely. Never a problem with the IMEI detection or anything. Maybe 2 people simply got lucky?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Yes, that's what other people have told me, but my brother-in-law's experience seems to contradict that.
    My dad also had a friend who he gave an original AT&T iPhone to as a gift. I was told they'd force the $60/month EDGE data plan on the original iPhone as well. That was not her experience either. She did the same, accidentally racked up a huge amount in data, called, had them shut off mobile data entirely. Never a problem with the IMEI detection or anything. Maybe 2 people simply got lucky?
    Just curious.. were they both in grouped plans with others with data plans? As in, some other person in the family had a data plan, but not them?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nope, neither one. They both had individual plans.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by georbl View Post
    Hey all!

So I'm pretty new to this, but I was wondering if it's possible to use an iPhone 3g, on AT&T, without a data plan.

That is, internet-wise, I'd only be using wifi (I'd still be texting, calling, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

I've been told that if I just disable 3G and location services, that'll be enough so AT&T doesn't notice I'm using an iPhone without a data plan. Is this true?

Would unlocking my phone on top of that make it any safer?
    Unlocking wouldn't help. I wouldn't be so sure about turing the 3G/location data off because a cell tower will flag your account once it it finds the IMEI is different from the one on your account. Then again, maybe they don't notice unless you use data. My friend popped a sim from their LG Xeon into a iPhone 3G and after 3 months they got a data plan put on their account.
    IF YOU ARE GOING TO TETHER GET A DATA PLAN(doesn't have to be the tethering one although then ATT might figure out) OR ELSE YOU WILL GET A VERY $$$$$ bill.