+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs 4.2.1 05.05.04

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all... My friend has an iPhone 3gs 4.2.1 on baseband 05.05.04 (i belive) is this possible to unlock? or is the best way using a Gevey sim? Thanks in
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3gs 4.2.1 05.05.04
    Hi all...

My friend has an iPhone 3gs 4.2.1 on baseband 05.05.04 (i belive) is this possible to unlock? or is the best way using a Gevey sim?
    Thanks in advance

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There was never a 05.05.04, so I assume it really has 05.15.04, in which case the answer is yes and no.
    NO, that baseband cannot be unlocked.
    YES, you can unlock by upgrading to the iPad baseband, 6.15.00. However, that "upgrade" shouldn't be taken lightly as it can cause GPS to stop working, you'll always need to restore with custom firmware, and it's an irreversible process. Some people have no problems. At the other extreme, some people have reported losing cellular and Wifi, symptoms of a fried baseband chip. Most typically, it works with loss of GPS.

No one has ever tried a Gevey in a 3GS that I'm aware of. It's a micro SIM and 3GS needs a full-size one.