Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Couple Gevey Questions

Default Couple Gevey Questions
    So like many of you, I've been growing more and more desperate for an i4 unlock and am considering alternate options to do so.

After some quick research, it seems as though the Rebel sim is a scam, so I guess if anything, Gevey would be my only option. First of all, the whole "you have to dial 112 every time you reboot but it's kind of illegal" thing: are you actually connecting to a 911 operator? or do you just have to dial and hang up before you can even connect? In other words, just how illegal/unsafe is it?

Next, can anyone share some performance stories? I'll be using it on US T-Mobile, and, from what I've seen, data SHOULD work without a problem.

Also, although I'm not sure if anyone would know at this point, how does it perform with ios5? I'd hate to buy one now only to find out that it won't work once 5.0 is released.

Lastly, where's the best place to purchase one? I've heard that there are a lot of fakes around, and that authentic ones aren't cut down to micro-sim size.

Sorry for the string of questions, but before I buy I want to be sure I won't be having the police knocking on my door five minutes after I reboot my iphone!

EDIT: This second sentence kinda spooks me...

"Without any doubt, spoofing of IMSI and ICCID using a legitimate emergency number is unethical or downright illegal. Also keep in mind that your network can request your IMEI during the emergency call and can ban your account for using false information and tampering with your SIM card."

I'm also seeing things that an untethered Gevey sim will be released very soon, maybe I'll be better off waiting for that...
    Last edited by willryan42; 06-12-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willryan42 View Post
    So like many of you, I've been growing more and more desperate for an i4 unlock and am considering alternate options to do so.

After some quick research, it seems as though the Rebel sim is a scam, so I guess if anything, Gevey would be my only option. First of all, the whole "you have to dial 112 every time you reboot but it's kind of illegal" thing: are you actually connecting to a 911 operator? or do you just have to dial and hang up before you can even connect? In other words, just how illegal/unsafe is it?
    Itís not illegal if you hang up before the 911 call rings (which is what you are supposed to do). You basically dial the number and hangup before the phone actually dials the number out (i.e. the person on the other end has no idea that someone even tried to call them).

Next, can anyone share some performance stories? I'll be using it on US T-Mobile, and, from what I've seen, data SHOULD work without a problem.
    It works. Canít speak for the real gevey, but I bought a fake one, and getting data working on ios 4.3.3 with BB 4.10.01 is a pain. Both the gevey sims I have are a bit weird because I can reboot my phone and still keep my unlock. The issue is I lose data when I reboot. But with both the gevey sims I received from this person (and they were definitely not from the same batch Ė the coloration of the chips and the sim tray are different on both), the sim is unlocks the phone after the procedure, but then 5 out of 6 times it will lose signal and give me an ďinvalid simĒ in the upper left hand corner, which gives me two options (1) reboot and just pick up carrier signal w/o data, or (2) pull the sim tray out and go through the procedure again. My guess is the $30 chip from applenberry has less glitches like this, but $30 is also over 4 times what I paid for my gevey chip.

Also, although I'm not sure if anyone would know at this point, how does it perform with ios5? I'd hate to buy one now only to find out that it won't work once 5.0 is released.
    Gevey works with the beta version of ios5, but thereís really no way of knowing whether apple will close off the exploit before releasing the final version of it (I would think that they would). But thereís always the option of not updating to ios5 when it comes out. I mean gevey is literally the only unlock solution right now, and an unlock on iOS 4.3.3 is way better than using your phone as an ipod on iOS 5 (when it comes out).

Lastly, where's the best place to purchase one? I've heard that there are a lot of fakes around, and that authentic ones aren't cut down to micro-sim size.
    Applenberry will get you a real one. IMO, itís not worth $30 though. You can pick one up a fake one off ebay for about $5-6. Both work. Although, you might have to deal with more glitches with the fake (like the ones Iím experiencing).

I'm also seeing things that an untethered Gevey sim will be released very soon, maybe I'll be better off waiting for that...
    The untethered version runs off the same exploit as the tethered version though Ė the untethered version just dials 112 for you in the background. Iíd think there would be more risk with the untethered version because if the chip messes up and doesnít hangup quickly enough, the phone will actually get to the ringing stage in the 911 call. With that said, Iím going to try out a fake untethered gevey sim when they drop below $10 on ebay. I figure, realistically, the worst thing thatís going to happen is Iíll get a call back from 911 and then just tell them my phone mustíve accidentally dialed 911 from my pocket or something like that, and then Iíd just have to ditch the chip and complain about it from the person I bought it from on ebay.

1) well your calling 911 and just hanging up as it rings or starts to ring. But i think calling 112/911 is illegal if your not in an emergency. But really people call 911 when McDonalds is out of nuggets.... But i'll share this. i've had to do the 112 and whatnot about 50 some times (not at the same time/same day) I've had my gevey from a few month back.

2) i've put this in afew other threads. i've have a 3GS before. there are some weak signal spots. At the weak spots the gevey loses signal then -> no service till i'm out of the area and back to t-mobile fine. 3GS would just lose signal but not go NO Service. Battery is fine. wifi is fine. no over heating...etc...

2a) data is edge..... as long as the phone is connected your fine with data.

3) huh? why whould iso5 not work with the iphone4? iso5 beta is running on the iphone 3GS and there's a few videos of the 3gs ios5 just as fast as the iphone4 ios5. just wait till September as the rumors say for the T-mobile version. just 3 more months. and ios5 NON-Beta will be fully out.

4) yep the real one is from applenberry (is that spelled right?)

Misc) you won't get your door knocked down. just a big fine and cell phone service turned off. IMO wait till September for the iphone5 or whatever it's called or that Chronic rumor about the unlock this Wednesday the 15.

Good luck!
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

NOT unsafe if you follow instructions dial 112 count 2 secs after pressing the call button and hang up

Have used it with US t mobile AND singapore telecom and works great....have NOT used it with data in SG however, those plans are not really available with pay as you go which I use

Don' t know sorry

Applenberry you know they are authentic

Sorry for the string of questions, but before I buy I want to be sure I won't be having the police knocking on my door five minutes after I reboot my iphone!

Just tell them that "steve jobs" made you do it if they come..I think you are WAY paranoid given the number of gevey sims sold do you really think the police care or even know! Come on....

EDIT: This second sentence kinda spooks me...

"Without any doubt, spoofing of IMSI and ICCID using a legitimate emergency number is unethical or downright illegal. Also keep in mind that your network can request your IMEI during the emergency call and can ban your account for using false information and tampering with your SIM card."

Don't believe everything you see online...in fact, don't believe most of it (maybe not even this post, lol)

I'm also seeing things that an untethered Gevey sim will be released very soon, maybe I'll be better off waiting for that...[/QUOTE]

I am using gevey on a US at&t phone right now in singapore, have not had to reboot my Iphone 4 at all, chip works like a charm, never loses the signal, full bars, etc.

And..you know, singapore is stricter than the USA and no cops have banged on my door here....yet...uh oh, what's that knocking......arggggggg...