Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlocking iPhone 3G

Default unlocking iPhone 3G
    Hi, so I used to have an iPhone 3GS and I messed it up by updating to 6.15.00 baseband, and had to sell it because of a signal problem and there was no way to downgrade the baseband. I do not want to have this happen again so I need your help!

I currently have an iPhone 3G - 16 GB White. It is running on Firmware 3.0 (7A341) and Baseband 04.26.08. My carrier is T-Mobile. I used redsn0w 0.7.2 to install Cydia and then i used ultrasn0w to Activate my phone and it now works with T-Mobile!

Only problem with all of this is, I would like to have 4.0 or higher firmware. I know how to put the iPhone into DFU mode and then hit Shift + Restore in iTunes to select a firmware. I am scared if I select 4.0 or higher, that it will also update my baseband (04.26.08) and if that happens then it won't be supported by ultasn0w, and I do not know any other method of unlocking other than updating to 6.15.00 which SUCKED! I never want to do that again.

So to make a long story short, if I upgrade my firmware, will it update my baseband? If so, how can I make sure that it stays on 04.26.08 when updating? Should I create a custom IPSW file using sn0wbreeze?

Yes it will.

Use a custom firmware.

Okay can someone help me find a good custom firmware? I don't really care which 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.3. As long as I can unlock it still with ultasn0w, it doesn't update my baseband, and whichever firmware you prefer is the best, ohh and also so that its untethered.

just download ios 4.3.3
    then download the newest sn0wbreeze and make one yourself. Probably be easier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DevouredDreams View Post
    just download ios 4.3.3
    then download the newest sn0wbreeze and make one yourself. Probably be easier that way.
    Okay so I used sn0wbreeze 2.1 and created a custom firmware for 4.1 (8B117) and then I put the device in DFU mode, then I used iTunes and hit Shift + Restore. I selected the file that was created by sn0wbreeze, It then did its usual loading. And now IM STUCK with the apple logo it wont go away.

I googled it and it told me to put it back in DFU mode and restore again using the custom firmware again? I tried that.. but then I got Error 1600. Then I installed iREB and it's supposed to fix error 1600, but it didn't fix anything.

So now my phone is just stuck on the apple logo and I don't know how to get out of it, someone plz help