Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g: Upgrade OS but keep baseband

Default iPhone 3g: Upgrade OS but keep baseband
    Hello all, this is my first time to the forum.

I own an iPhone 3g version 3.0 which has the baseband 4.26.08. I Unlocked it almost a year ago today so that I could travel to China and use a local sim on the cheap. Unfortunately I would like to upgrade it to 4.0 due to the fact that many of the appstore apps require 4.0+. I am extremely skeptical however because I HAVE to keep my unlock and I know how difficult that can be. In addition, I haven't looked at the unlocking scene in well over a year. My question is, is their a tool that will upgrade my 3g to 4.0 while still keeping my phone in its unlocked state. Or should I just stay with 3.0?

iPhone? More like MyPhone tito12's Avatar
    Thanks

I think every owner of 3G will advise you to stay away from any f/w starting with 4.xxxx. You can upgrade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 which are fast and easy to unlock.

If you use a Mac, you can use Pwnage Tool to make a pwned IPSW (firmware) file that will NOT update your baseband. You could also search Google for a pre-pwned IPSW, they are out there.
    You can supposedly shut off some of iOS 4.xx features to improve performance.