+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G Strugglefest

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I picked up a 2g the other day cheap. I wanted to turn it into an ipod for one of my kids. No sim card, emergency calls only. Wow, what
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 2G Strugglefest
    I picked up a 2g the other day cheap. I wanted to turn it into an ipod for one of my kids. No sim card, emergency calls only. Wow, what a pain. I could have bought an ipod for the time i have spent so far with no results. I have a jb iPhone4, before that I had a 3 which is one of my childerens ipod now. I tried the sim out of the 3 in the 2 now it wants me to activate it through i tunes. I tried an old sim from a KRZR and it also wants me to activate it through i tunes. I didnt know what firmware was on it so I put in DFU mode and restored it which put it at 3.1.3. I attempted to dowload files to jailbreak it but every link I find is dead to teh files. I called apple they said take it to an apple store. Called made an appointment, told them the problem they said they could take care of it at no charge. Drove an hour to get there, sit another hour waiting for the tech to tell me they no longer could handle this problem. I needed itunes7 for that option. I downloaded itunes 7 but it will not open because the library file was created by an newer version......AAARRRGGGG....Sorry to rant but this is about to get the best of me. I have read comments without detail about swapping sim and then putting in airplane mode. Is this possible....If soI have a friend with an 3Gs that I could borrow the sim. Help please I have too much time in it now to let it defeat me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you hacktivate with redsn0w 0.9.4 with a 3.1.2 ipsw (assuming the phone is on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3) you don't have to activate it in itunes.

Honestly though if I were you, I would jb and unlock it, sell it for max cash and buy an older iPod touch like the 2G. The performance on an iPod touch 2G surpasses that of am iPhone 3G even. You don't plan to use the iPhone 2G as a phone, it's better to have an iPod touch.

But if you don't want to do that, just upgrade the phone to the latest firmware which is 3.1.3 and use redsn0w 0.9.4 to hacktivate. The problem is without a SIM you'll always get an annoying No Sim popup. So you'll have to have a SIM in whether the account is active or not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I put the old KRZR sim in it and FINALLY found all the files. I read where you had suggested this same solution to others recently so I knew they were out there somewhere. It is up and working. I had to use the 3.1.2 files as redsnow would not recognize the 13 ipsw. Thank you!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's fantastic, I'm glad you resolved it