+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock iPhone 4 (4.3.1) for use abroad.

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello Everyone, I am new here and this is practically my first post. My concern is about unlocking my iPhone in order to use it abroad. I currently have a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Unlock iPhone 4 (4.3.1) for use abroad.
    Hello Everyone,

I am new here and this is practically my first post. My concern is about unlocking my iPhone in order to use it abroad.

I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running on a 4.3.1 firmware. My current provider is AT&T but in a few weeks I'll be traveling to Lebanon where I will stay for about three month and so I'd like to use my iPhone over there. The only two carriers in Lebanon (MTC & Alfa) both provide Micro SIM cards so you can buy it and just plug it in your phone and you're ready to go. All you need is unlocked phone.

I was considering on buying an unlocked BB for this matter cause I didn't want any problems with AT&T nor wanted to get stuck with the iPad baseband (I did my research and found that the only way to unlock it was installing the iPad baseband and that there was no way back). But I'm hoping there's been an update and I can unlock it without doing what I've previously mentioned.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Yussef.

PS: After I return from Lebanon I will be using again obviously AT&T (Could I lock my iPhone back again?).
    *I use a MacBook Pro. (just in case).
    Last edited by yusefo; 05-29-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks

Well, the iPad baseband method is not possible for iPhone 4 and the only software unlockable baseband on iPhone 4 is the 01.59.00. If you don't have that (most probably not), you can buy a GEVEY SIM.
    It's a hardware unlock that is not really plug 'n' play, but should be just fine for a couple of months' use in any case.
    Last edited by WTFX; 05-29-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WTFX For This Useful Post:

yusefo (06-02-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I agree, you should just get a GEVEY SIM bc you're only using the unlock temporarily. Unless you think it's worth to sell your phone and buy another with the unlockable baseband, that's fine too you just have to be careful about updating the phone and whatnot.

Honestly for a temporary thing for you, the hassle of selling and rebuying a phone can be a handful. It'd be easier to get the GEVEY sim.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So with the Gevey SIM after I'm back I will only need to plug in back the AT&T sim card and I'm back with AT&T?

Thanks

The Gevey sim is a thin piece of hardware that will go under your SIM card in the SIM tray. When you need it, you'll just put th Gevey in with your SIM that you'll be using and follow the instructions from Gevey which is in the package.

Then when you come back and are ready to use AT&T again simply remove the Gevey sim, and then you're back to normal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

yusefo (06-02-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh! awesome, well thank you very MUCH !

Thanks

Yep no problem!