+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Old Original iPhone (2G)

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Forgive me for posting but I've been searching for a while and couldn't find any information for what I wanna ask. Can these phones still be used? I have mine
    Thanks

Cool Old Original iPhone (2G)
    Forgive me for posting but I've been searching for a while and couldn't find any information for what I wanna ask.

Can these phones still be used? I have mine since when I bought it back in 07. Almost new. Box and all.

Since its just sitting there, figured I'd try and use it if that's even possible.

Can it be jail broken/unlocked?

My wife has an unlocked 3G with Simple Mobile. Can I do that with this OLD phone?

You guys have been helpful to me in the past. Any help this time around would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Yes you can use it and jailbreak with jailbreakme.com and unlock with ultrasn0w
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Yes you can use it and jailbreak with jailbreakme.com and unlock with ultrasn0w
    Thanks for the reply.

Jailbreakme.com says "JailbreakMe works on the device itself! Visit this website on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to get started. " - so I'm gonna need wi-fi access since the phone is not currently connected.

Also, I've heard of ultrasn0w many times but never used it myself. How do I get started with it? Is there a link on here that I can use or site I need to go to? Will there be a specific version I'll have to use for my particular phone since its so old? (I'm sure there will be)

Thanks again for your help

Thanks

Once you jailbreak its a download in cydia install it and your all set

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

when you go to JailbreakMe with your 2g, it will let you know if it can be jailbroken with that site. 3.13 should be no problem.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You could also use a pwned IPSW if you don't have Wifi access. That's what I had been doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Once you jailbreak its a download in cydia install it and your all set
    Thanks a lot. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    You could also use a pwned IPSW if you don't have Wifi access. That's what I had been doing.
    How do I do that?

Thanks

Ok let me know

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaysone950 View Post
    How do I do that?
    I usually use PwnageTool and make my own, but I think it only works on a Mac. Let me know if you use a Mac and I can explain further.

However, you can find pre-pwned firmware, search Google for "iphone pwned ipsw 3.1.3". Approx 3rd result down when I tried it. I would post a direct link, but it appears that site is censored here. I noticed he has custom boot & restore logos on that firmware, which is part of the reason I roll my own as I prefer the stock logos. If you don't mind custom logos, that should work well for you.

When you restore in iTunes, you hold a key (Option key on the Mac) and click Restore and it'll bring up a file browser where you select the custom IPSW. I think you'll also need to put the phone into a pwned DFU mode, so you'll need a utility for that (I use PwnageTool for that too).

Jailbreakme.com is probably a lot more straight-forward if there's any way you can borrow a Wifi connection.
    Last edited by GnatGoSplat; 05-25-2011 at 07:38 PM.