+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking/JB Q?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all, I have bought a 8GB 3G from the US it is unlocked and jailbroken, My Q is if I update it using Itunes(as it is only running 3.1.3)
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Unlocking/JB Q?
    Hi all, I have bought a 8GB 3G from the US it is unlocked and jailbroken, My Q is if I update it using Itunes(as it is only running 3.1.3) Will it relock and un-jail break it? Is there a way to tell if it will lock after upgrade? Thanks and I did search first but couldn't find the exact answer I was after so I hope someone can help. Also is it easy to unlock/JB again if it were to lock. Thanks.

Thanks

If you do an update of any kind it will break the jailbreak. Luckily for you it is quite easy to re-jailbreak the phone. There are several threads on here that can aid in helping you out with that. Be sure to research the jailbreak process prior to actually updating the phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Knight For This Useful Post:

cushphil (05-21-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thankyou Mr Moderator Also does it necessarily mean that it will also lock the phone again? And is it just as easy to unlock as it is to JB? Cheers again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If you want to keep your current baseband, which holds the unlock, update to 4.3.3 using a custom firmware. Link here. Video Guide: How Create Custom Firmware And Jailbreak iPhone / iPad | The Geeks Club

You will loose the unlock in the update but your baseband will remain the same version as before..
    Google "devteam" and read up on the curent unlock solutions.

From dev-team blog

grow, grow ultrasn0w!*
    We’re happy to tell you that our ultrasn0w carrier unlock now supports the iPhone4!

Version 1.0-1 of ultrasn0w works for:

iPhone4 baseband 01.59
    3G/3GS basebands*04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01 and 05.13.04
    (If ultrasn0w doesn’t show when you search Cydia, add the repo: *repo666.ultrasn0w.com)

Here is a nice how-to video from @AdamFromYT that shows the installation process on the iPhone 4.

For comments or questions, please use the comments section below.

Enjoy!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Thanks Guys
    I am going to update the firmware. Just wanting to know even if it does lock it I will be able to unlock it again aye? Is there a chance that doing the update will totally brick the phone.?? Sorry for all the questions but I am a noob and don't want to bugger my expensive phone Cheers.