+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I use an iPhone 3g without a data plan?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
All I want to do is text and use the phone. I have no use for the data part. I have AT&T service with data already blocked on my plan.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can I use an iPhone 3g without a data plan?
    All I want to do is text and use the phone. I have no use for the data part.

I have AT&T service with data already blocked on my plan.

Please tell me there is a way to do this.
    Last edited by munchie5; 05-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks

Sure... just plug your SIM in and go for it. Since AT&T has you blocked on their end, you should be set, but for good measure, disable 3G and install "EDGE disabler" from the Cydia repo Cydia.pushfix.info (free package).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

my siste had it blocked on her plan with a 3g. she went to months no problem then they removed the block and charged her for internet. SHe also did what orbyorb said. so be careful, and absolutly do not call them with your sim in the 3g.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DevouredDreams View Post
    my siste had it blocked on her plan with a 3g. she went to months no problem then they removed the block and charged her for internet. SHe also did what orbyorb said. so be careful, and absolutly do not call them with your sim in the 3g.
    EDIT: boldface at end for best solution (iOS 4 only). Otherwise, keep reading...
    Ooooh, that's no bueno.

That EDGE disabler package forces a dummy IP address on the iPhone... which will likely break push notifications (forces them over Wi-Fi methinks). Also, editing the cellular data APNs to something broken (so no data will be used), should cover you, but AT&T does /require/ all iPhones on their network to be on a data plan, even if the phone uses no data. They may pull a "gotcha!" on you in the future, be aware.

EDIT: Also try iphonenodata.com in your iPhone's browser (from Wi-Fi), and unless I've lost my mind, there's a "Cellular Data" toggle in iOS4 under Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data. Flip that, and I think that's that.
    Last edited by Orby; 05-21-2011 at 12:16 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure it's going to be that simple for me. I put my SIM in the iPhone and am getting "no service" where it should say AT&T, and when I go into the network it says "SIM not allowed".

I tried resetting network settings and it said AT&T at the top left for about 30 seconds and then went back to "no service".

I have 3g turned off and Cellular Data toggled to off.

I've also not jailbroken yet. Wanted to wait until after I got service to work on the phone.
    Last edited by munchie5; 05-21-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

What does the sim look like?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Front is blue and white and says 3g, back is orange orange and also says 3g. It came out of a Nokia.

It's identical to the one I took out of it, which is a deactivated official SIM (prior owner upgraded to the iPhone 4).

Thanks

Well see there's an entry in the carrier bundle that looks like this:
    SupportedSIMs

I bet the number on it isn't supported by the carrier bundle. You cant use mine as an example because that's copied from the bundle on an iphone4.

Edit: I pasted the code but it took it away but that's the wording in carrier bundle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

munchie5 (05-21-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what that means, what a carrier bundle is. I'm not super great with this stuff, I can jailbreak and have unlocked a first gen iPhone before, but a lot of the terms are still over my head.

If the number on it isn't supported by the carrier bundle, does that mean there is no way it will ever work?

Can I call AT&T and tell them my SIM is damaged and ask them to switch my number to the SIM that came in the phone?

Thanks

Let's phrase the question like this...

What are the first seven digits printed on your SIM card (likely the blue-white side with the AT&T logo on it, if your SIM looks anything like mine)?

If they are (usually given in groupings of four) one of the following:
    8901 150
    8901 170
    8901 180
    8901 380
    8901 410
    8901 980

then you should be okay. If it's not one of those numbers, you may need to ask AT&T to activate a new SIM for you (should be rather easy).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

munchie5 (05-21-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

8901410 are the numbers on mine. No spaces, one long number.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As has been stated before. AT&T requires that all post-paid smartphones on their network subscribe to a data plan.

Alternatives:
    AT&T/H2O pre-paid (may not work, but is cheap to try)
    T-Mobile (requires phone to be unlocked)