Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Gevey SIM on a 3GS?

  1. #1
    Default Gevey SIM on a 3GS?
    I've read only one report that the Gevey SIM for iPhone 4 works on a 3GS with 5.15.04 and newer basebands. Can anyone else confirm this? I have a 3GS on 5.15.04 that I've been reluctant to update to 6.15.00 because I don't want to lose GPS or be forever stuck with that baseband.

    GEVEY 112 Exploit works on iPhone 3GS Baseband 05.16.02 as well

    I know physically fitting it might be difficult, but I imagine it should be possible to just cut a hole in a full size SIM for the chip and attach it using double-sided tape along the edges, making sure not to cover any contacts.

  2. #2
    If you search eBay or Amazon for micro SIM adapters, you will find them for a few bucks.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherminator View Post
    If you search eBay or Amazon for micro SIM adapters, you will find them for a few bucks.
    Yeah, but it would need some trimming.

    Remember why GEVEY comes with a custom tray? Because it doesn't fit the original due to the chip sticking out.

    And I don't know if it will work.. Would have expected someone to have tried it by now. Perhaps it will. They say the exploit works. But there could be differences in how it should communicate with the baseband. idk
    Last edited by WTFX; 05-20-2011 at 06:41 AM.

  4. #4
    Yeah, it is a bit strange that Gevey (or Applenberry) don't offer a SIM tray for 3G or 3G[s] owners.

  5. #5
    Iam using the baseband of 06.15.00 on 4.3.1 and I don't have any problem with my GPS, MMS or Wifi like people have talked about...... I would give it a shot.... You said your using it on a 3GS so don't worry to much about it.... The iPhone 4S or 5 will be out soon enuff....

  6. #6
    I have a fake Gevey on the way for my iPhone 4 so I'll be sure to try it in the 3GS before I sell it. I'm guessing some people might rather use a Gevey than baseband 6.15. I'm sure some people have no problems, but there are enough people who do have problems to make it worth considering using a Gevey rather than iPad BB.

  7. #7
    Default Turn off Wi-Fi and Cellular Data to test GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by rhend View Post
    Iam using the baseband of 06.15.00 on 4.3.1 and I don't have any problem with my GPS, MMS or Wifi like people have talked about...... I would give it a shot.... You said your using it on a 3GS so don't worry to much about it.... The iPhone 4S or 5 will be out soon enuff....
    With all due respect, your "GPS" you're seeing is not real GPS, it's triangulation based on wifi or cellular signals.
    Go to:
    Settings>Wi-Fi>Wi-Fi (set to OFF).
    Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data (set to OFF). (Set Enable 3G to OFF).

    Now test the location map tracking with a true GPS app such as TomTom.
    If the GPS worked, the phone location can still be tracked with absolutely zero cellular data and absolutely zero wifi. This is important when you travel to remote locations.

    I'll bet any amount of money your phone location tracking won't work after turning off wifi and cellular data.

    The 3GS normally has GPS that still tracks you when wifi and cellular data are turned off. The 6.15 baseband breaks this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to bologna For This Useful Post:

    sprackleor (06-08-2011)

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    With all due respect, your "GPS" you're seeing is not real GPS, it's triangulation based on wifi or cellular signals.
    Go to:
    Settings>Wi-Fi>Wi-Fi (set to OFF).
    Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data (set to OFF). (Set Enable 3G to OFF).

    Now test the location map tracking with a true GPS app such as TomTom.
    If the GPS worked, the phone location can still be tracked with absolutely zero cellular data and absolutely zero wifi. This is important when you travel to remote locations.

    I'll bet any amount of money your phone location tracking won't work after turning off wifi and cellular data.

    The 3GS normally has GPS that still tracks you when wifi and cellular data are turned off. The 6.15 baseband breaks this.
    This is only true for 3GS with new bootrom. If you have an old bootrom 3GS, the ipad baseband will not harm your GPS radio.

  10. #9
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,775
    Thanks
    6,979
    Thanked 15,539 Times in 7,105 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by caracasmc View Post
    This is only true for 3GS with new bootrom. If you have an old bootrom 3GS, the ipad baseband will not harm your GPS radio.
    The bootrom has no bearing on GPS issues with the iPad baseband. The iPad baseband will break true GPS on a 3GS old or new bootrom.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •