Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Gevey Sim reliable?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Is Gevey Sim reliable?
    Hi, I'm planning to buy an IP4 soon from a friend and I'm just learning about this Gevey Sim thing. I'm on T-mobile so I rely on an unlock, the IP4 is running 4.2/3.10 which to my knowledge is not unlockable right? Will Gevey Sim work?

Also I've read that the Iphone "4S" coming out will be open to t-mobile, is this true?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Gevey should work fine. Get Gevey Pro for better performance. It might be more beneficial to find an iPhone 4 that has an unlockable baseband of 1.59.00 but if that's not possible then I suppose stick with what you've got. You can expect for it to be buggy though, it may or may not act up. It's not 100% reliable but it works decently, so I've heard.

The rumor is that the iPhone is expanding to T-Mobile and Sprint, but it's a rumor. Don't expect it to be true, but it isn't necessarily false either. Only time will tell

I've been using a Gevey Pro for a few days. It works well, but the biggest downside is that if you reboot or drain your battery you'll need a way to eject and re-insert the sim. You must do the gevey process after every boot.

Other than that, it works very well, reconnects fine after respring or loosing cell connection. Only a marginal battery life decrease, but that could be other settings/software issues on my phone.

It is a bit of a hassle, but once you get setup you'll reboot rarely. It's currently the only way to unlock a iPhone 4 running newer software/baseband.

Quote Originally Posted by Netcruzer View Post
    I've been using a Gevey Pro for a few days. It works well, but the biggest downside is that if you reboot or drain your battery you'll need a way to eject and re-insert the sim. You must do the gevey process after every boot.

Other than that, it works very well, reconnects fine after respring or loosing cell connection. Only a marginal battery life decrease, but that could be other settings/software issues on my phone.

It is a bit of a hassle, but once you get setup you'll reboot rarely. It's currently the only way to unlock a iPhone 4 running newer software/baseband.
    Umm, there should be no need for ejecting and re-inserting the tray on reboot. Even my fake Gevey cooperates just fine if I restart the phone and shows up the welcome screen every time. The steps are not too complicated and no sign of battery drain either. In short, nothing to complain about. Except that I paid too much for it. I was gonna get a refund and buy a Pro but after seeing numerous reports of the Pro draining battery like no tomorrow, I'm staying with my "trusty" (hehe) counterfeit.

A long as you order a gevey PRO from amazon (make sure that it is the pro version) between $23 and $35 depending on where you buy it from. Make sure that it is authentic and real! Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by sizzle86 View Post
    the IP4 is running 4.2/3.10 which to my knowledge is not unlockable right? Will Gevey Sim work?
    from what most ppl are saying YES

Quote Originally Posted by sizzle86 View Post
    Also I've read that the Iphone "4S" coming out will be open to t-mobile, is this true?
    who knows. it seem like it will. Hey remember a few years back, the iphone was to come to Verizon........ so i say wait it out. I wish i did knowing a t-mobile version by the end of the year.

*Side note* i just got the fancy white iphone a few weeks ago! then i hear the news of the iphone comming to t-mobile. Very -->
    Last edited by chessyang; 05-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    Umm, there should be no need for ejecting and re-inserting the tray on reboot. Even my fake Gevey cooperates just fine if I restart the phone and shows up the welcome screen every time. The steps are not too complicated and no sign of battery drain either.....
    Hmm, that's interesting. I cannot get the welcome screen with my legit Gevey Pro unless I eject and reinsert the sim when the phone reboots. I also have a marginal battery drain of aprox 5% overnight in standby.
    I thought Pro was suppose to FIX problems! They don't even sell non-pro versions anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Netcruzer View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting. I cannot get the welcome screen with my legit Gevey Pro unless I eject and reinsert the sim when the phone reboots. I also have a marginal battery drain of aprox 5% overnight in standby.
    I thought Pro was suppose to FIX problems! They don't even sell non-pro versions anymore.
    That's bad. But I've only heard bad things about Pro as well.
    Maybe you could launch the welcome screen through SIM applications menu.. Follow these instructions: Here's how to turn your welcome screen English (GEVEY)
    I wrote them for another purpose, but they will probably work for you as well. It's strange that it isn't opening automatically, but hopefully this will work out.

edit: Ok, I saw you already heard about this method in another thread.
    Last edited by WTFX; 05-20-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Got mine from ebay. It looks legit. I have been using it for about a month now and have no problems because I don't reboot often. Battery drain seems to be the same.

I purchased my gevey from a local phone store and hated it. My phone kept dropping calls and then just dropped signal all together. I didnt like it at all. Sold the phone and purchased another with an unlockable baseband.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by firstcherokeekid View Post
    I purchased my gevey from a local phone store and hated it. My phone kept dropping calls and then just dropped signal all together. I didnt like it at all. Sold the phone and purchased another with an unlockable baseband.
    Lol I would've done the same thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks all, I just purchased an iphone 4 (4.1/02.10.01), I went to applenberry store in Oakland as it is near me, I put gevey pro sim in and everything worked perfectly, no problems what so ever and no battery issues.