+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob - is there any target date?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am waiting patiently to unlock my iPhone 4, 4.2.1 / 3.10.01 I am not really up on all this stuff and googling for days doesn't seem to really answer
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Noob - is there any target date?
    I am waiting patiently to unlock my iPhone 4, 4.2.1 / 3.10.01 I am not really up on all this stuff and googling for days doesn't seem to really answer any questions. Is there any suspected or hoped for idea on a date for being able to unlock this iPhone so I can start using it on my T-Mobile account? Thanks!

Thanks

No ETA and not much info on the progress (if any). The last exploit they had turned out to be a dead end, so it's gonna take a while for the Dev Team to find a new exploit and then trying to invoke the commands to get an indication on whether the exploit is useful. And then there's gonna be a nice amount of coding after that AFAIK.
    You can get a GEVEY while you wait for a software unlock like most of us have done. Makes waiting much easier, trust me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't think until the AT&T and T-Mobile merger passes we will even get some form of official unlock. At this point its anybody's guess whether or not it will pass. It should take a year or so for them to complete the merger, that is after it passes.

As for the Dev-Team unlock, no clue. While I respect their work, even though I haven't used it, I'm not expecting them to come out with an unlock anytime soon. Worse comes to worse, they'll go back to working on the 3GS' baseband and fix the issues there before coming back to the iPhone 4's. It saddens me if they do that, since at least those 3GS users are unlocked and can use their phones, while the iPhone 4 users who have been patiently waiting will get shunned aside again.

In the mean time I have gotten the Gevey, as a temporary solution, hopefully until the Dev-Team figures something out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bummer. My older iPhone 3G is on it's last leg too. Oh well. After looking around the web before landing here a couple days ago, that GEVEY sounded kinda scary. Is it safe? By scary I mean I kept reading posts all over the web from people saying they got ripped off, didn't work .. etc. Would love some direction for a safe outlet! Thanks for fast reply!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've gotten the Gevey from my local computer shop. It works great, but I am having some problems with it, which I posted in another thread. I'm hoping it was something I did to cause the issue, so I can just restore and go again.

When it does work though, its great. I was more than happy to finally see my iPhone unlocked and working.
    Last edited by kev5873; 05-11-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The answer is no. Lol. Like many people stated before me, there are a lot of things that are hindering Dev team from creating a working unlock.

Just go with a Gevey...it'll be some time before an unlock is released. I'm pretty sure they've stopped working on an unlock for the 4 and are going to wait for the next iPhone/iOS. Hopefully that stuff will be unlockable...but for now, the unlocking department of Dev team has closed.