+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS: Should I preserve baseband?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
iPhone 3GS 32GB owner and new member here! I have a JB but personally have no need for an unlock and likely never will. But having read up on it,
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default 3GS: Should I preserve baseband?
    iPhone 3GS 32GB owner and new member here!

I have a JB but personally have no need for an unlock and likely never will. But having read up on it, it seems like I should preserve my baseband anyway so the resale value is higher when I upgrade to the 5. Is there much difference if I keep the BB?

I ask because I'm currently on 4.01 BB 5.13.04, and want to upgrade my JB as its getting a bit laggy.

So should I care about an unlock?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

Up to you really, it will help the resale value if you are still able to unlock it. You can use pwnage tool or snowbreeze to make a custom 4.3.3 and preserve baseband.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Up to you really, it will help the resale value if you are still able to unlock it. You can use pwnage tool or snowbreeze to make a custom 4.3.3 and preserve baseband.
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess it's also possible that if I don't worry about it right now and just upgrade, in a few months the current BB will be unlockable anyway?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

There is no guarantee of that. In a bit of lull right now with unlocks for newer basebands. Been since September.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if you plan on selling it, you will definately have a bigger market if it is unlockable. otherwise all the AT&T members arent gonna want a 3GS, they will want an iphone 4 or 5. I would keep it in an unlockable state if I were you and worring about reselling.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There is no guarantee of that. In a bit of lull right now with unlocks for newer basebands. Been since September.
    I see, better to take advantage of what I have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by turbotec View Post
    if you plan on selling it, you will definately have a bigger market if it is unlockable. otherwise all the AT&T members arent gonna want a 3GS, they will want an iphone 4 or 5. I would keep it in an unlockable state if I were you and worring about reselling.
    This was my thinking. I know the 3GS won't be very attractive by the time the 5 comes out, so I need to keep the value as high as possible.

Looks like I'll be going the custom firmware route, haven't done it before so should be interesting. Thanks for the replies.