Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question, Can I still unlock my Iphone 3GS 32gb

Default Question, Can I still unlock my Iphone 3GS 32gb
    I have a 3GS 32GB run on OS 4.1 with 5.14.02 baseband. I want to unlock the phone with ipad baseband if itune still let me. Does any one know if I can still do it???

with the ipad baseband? don't think so. did you mean iphone?
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmw-legend View Post
    I have a 3GS 32GB run on OS 4.1 with 5.14.02 baseband. I want to unlock the phone with ipad baseband if itune still let me. Does any one know if I can still do it???
    yes - redsn0w will inject the ipad baseband... forget which version to use with 4.1, 0.9.6b5 or 0.9.6b6, not sure if most recent rc16 is backward compatible for 4.1. Also it will be tether if new bootrom, but greenpois0n rc6.1 will do an untether for the new bootrom 3gs - can't recall for sure if greenpois0n does the ipad bb injection or if you need to jb with redsn0w first then run gp. Try doing a search on Redmonpie.com - they do a good job of keeping these things straight and the tutorials are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by chessyang View Post
    with the ipad baseband? don't think so. did you mean iphone?
    Actually, Chessyang, you read that right. The iPad (tablet) baseband shoehorned into an iPhone (mobile phone).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bologna For This Useful Post:

chessyang (05-10-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Actually,
    <-- learn something new today! did not know!! hope it worked for the OP.
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chessyang View Post
    <-- learn something new today! did not know!! hope it worked for the OP.
    dev-team found the ipad baseband was still open to the exploit used for ultras0w to function... only issue reported, and which I have experienced, is loss of the gps, most maps and other location services still work at variable accuracy by using wifi and cell tower triangulation - only a few apps that rely on only the gps, like tom-tom, fail completely. I use motion-x lite and it works fine for me. the native maps app and google maps work fairly well too as long as I have decent cell signals. I'm in Oslo right now and it is fine, went up north and had spotty cell service and it was so-so. Suspect it might be better back home where we have better cell coverage.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheme75 For This Useful Post:

chessyang (05-11-2011)

There are other issues with the iPad 6.15 baseband besides ruining the GPS. There's also battery drain. And, it requires relying on custom-generated ISPW updates for a lifetime.

The worst part is that it's irreversible. Once you put the 6.15 iPad baseband on your iPhone, there's no turning back. Warranty voided.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    There are other issues with the iPad 6.15 baseband besides ruining the GPS. There's also battery drain. And, it requires relying on custom-generated ISPW updates for a lifetime.

The worst part is that it's irreversible. Once you put the 6.15 iPad baseband on your iPhone, there's no turning back. Warranty voided.
    if you want an iPhone or have an iPhone and really NEED an unlock, then the price is steep. bottom line - if you need an unlock to use your iphone as a mobile phone then that's the price - only other option is a blackberry or some other OS smartphone more easily unlocked - of course this only applies if you can afford to buy it. if you already own the iphone, what is the alternative?

my 3gs is long past warranty so in my case that is not an issue. again in my case, SAM fixed battery drain and push problems, and sn0wbreeze builds custom ipsw's at least to this point. No guarantee jailbreaks will continue indefinitely but as long as there are jb's, good bet sn0wbreeze will be updated to build the ipsw's. Doubtful that Apple will continue to support the 3GS indefinitely. So like the 2G and 3G, there is a good chance there will be an end of updates in the not too distant future, possibly with ios 5.

Issues are most definitely there. Every person has to simply decide to what extent they need the unlock... to go from one carrier to another in the same location may not be worth the potential cost savings on the service plans. To use it outside your location for travel or moving to another country, then it may be worth it if buying an unlocked iphone is not financially feasible. Not everyone has the financial means - I could not buy a mobile smartphone to use for the half year abroad that I needed the phone unlocked. those that can afford the price tag should go for the factory unlocked phone for sure!

Thanks for everybody help.