Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Baseband Question

Default Baseband Question
    I have an iPhone 4 that I purchased in Hong Kong. According to Apple's Hong Kong website, the iPhones here are already unlocked so that you can use them on any carrier and switch at any time.
    If I understand this correctly, I should be able use my phone on a carrier when I move back to the states, without modification.

All this time, I have been diligent about preserving my baseband (02.10.4) in case I ever needed to unlock, so I could use it back in the States.
    Is my thinking completely wrong? My phone is already unlocked, so I shouldn't have to worry about preserving my baseband, correct?

Lastly, if I don't have to worry about the baseband because the phone is already unlocked, do I reap any benefits from updating the baseband?

Thanks All!
    Hunter

EDIT:
    iPhone 4
    iOS: 4.3.2 (Jailbroken with PwnageTool)
    Modem Firmware: 02.10.4
    Last edited by huntermaclean; 05-08-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added iPhone specs.

if its factory unlocked the baseband doesn't matter to you at all

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

huntermaclean (05-08-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    if its factory unlocked the baseband doesn't matter to you at all
    Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's the beauty of factory unlocked phones. You never have to worry about it. You'll never be locked out no matter how many times you upgrade the baseband.

no problem @Annie thats why i want one lol

Thanks

If only we could all afford those expensive things

Lucky me!
    Anything to gain if I try to update my baseband to whatever the latest is?

Nothing really changes

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    If only we could all afford those expensive things
    i.Annie,
    So you are saying these phones have a nice resell value in countries like the United States?

Yes they can go for 800$ +

Thanks

Depending on when you sell it. If you sell it before the new iPhone comes out the value right now is still easily $700-$800 for a 16GB. Of course more for a 32GB.

If you sell after the new iPhone releases the value will drop, but not by a lot. Could probably still get $600-$650. But eBay probably more, don't know why. My friend sold a software unlocked for $600 and another sold his for $700. And these aren't even factory unlocked.

I see a business opportunity here, especially since we pay no sales tax in Hong Kong.
    Of course, getting it past customs without paying duty when I go to the US in a few months might be a challenge.

Thanks

I bought back 2 years ago an iPhone 3G from Canada. It took a month to get to me in the US. it was bc customs held it up.

I got really irritated. I will never buy a phone overseas again. But that's just me