+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rebel Sim iPhone 4 Question

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rebel Sim iPhone 4 Question
    Seen loads of threads about Gevey and Rebel Sim, but I haven't seen anybody ask this before.

I have an iPhone 4, locked to AT&T, but I have an Orange UK sim card (currently being used in my old Nokia)

If I buy a Rebel Sim, go into an O2 Shop and get a Pay As You Go O2 Sim, put it in my iPhone 4 with the Rebel Sim. Make a chargeable call through my O2 sim card.

Then go on the O2 website and talk to one of those reps who can unlock your iPhone. Because I have made chargeable call with an O2 Sim (Now that I an registered to O2) they can unlock for 15 as I am on Pay As You Go.

Would that then mean that my iPhone is factory unlocked?

Seriously? over 100 views and no replies?
    Last edited by Jay316; 04-24-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Mate check out the threads all the threads first.big disscusion on this already.

BTW u cant unlock it that way unfortunatly.

Thanks

Thanks for answering the question, but can you elaborate? why can't I unlock it that way?
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Thanks for answering the question, but can you elaborate? why can't I unlock it that way?
    O2 will only unlock phones that were bought from their network. Hence, you can only unlock a O2 branded iPhone 4. The only people that can unlock your AT&T iPhone 4 legitimately is AT&T.

Thanks

Thats wrong, O2 will unlock an iPhone if it's registered on their network. All I have to do is make a chargeable call from an O2 sim, so the sim and the IMEI match up to an O2 registered account.

AT&T don't and won't unlock iPhones.

Based on that massive thread about talking to O2 Reps online, they need to IMEI and sim to be registered to an O2 account, hence make a chargeable call.

So it should work, correct?
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

you just told a guy off and answered your own question. why do you kept asking if your so sure?

Thanks

I didn't tell him of, I just stated that he's wrong. I am merely asking if it would work, if there is a logical reason why it wouldn't work, I would like to know. That reason isn't logical because it's incorrect

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You don't seem to be happy with the answer provided although it is unfortunately the truth.

There's a thread on here discussing it. The gist of it is that O2 will see that the IMEI of the phone indicates it is not an O2 locked phone and therefore won't submit it to the database

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    I didn't tell him of, I just stated that he's wrong. I am merely asking if it would work, if there is a logical reason why it wouldn't work, I would like to know. That reason isn't logical because it's incorrect
    Oh goodness, please don't spread any false information around. We wouldn't want newbies or people to get excited and post a zillion threads asking the same types of questions. What I said is completely true.

O2 or any other network will not unlock a phone that belongs to another network. You would think that if they did, would anyone here be worrying about the next ultrasn0w release? Would anyone here go bonkers if people came here to offer IMEI unlocks like last week? Sometimes, everyone could just use some common sense.

And what I said about AT&T is true. They can unlock an AT&T iPhone, but it's their prerogative to do that.

Thanks

It'd very unclear of what is the correct response from o2 and will they unlock your phone if your on there network. O2 will most likely only unlock your phone if you purchased the iPhone from them. I believe that's the common response you'll get from most u2 csr. But sometimes you may get a csr who may unlock if you on there network and can prove it. then if your really lucky, you may get a csr who won't check anything and will unlock your phone only with your IMEI. Just give it a try and let us know what happens

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm just going on my experience, talking with an O2 rep, they said that you need to be an O2 customer and that the IMEI needs to be registered to an O2 account, in order to do that you just have to make a chargeable call from the device. I suppose I will have to attempt this and post results back, even if it fails, the rebel sim will still work
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Based on extensive research but not first-hand knowledge, Apple will not accept an unlock request from O2 for an AT&T locked iPhone.

The carrier the phone is locked to is encoded in the IMEI of the device. Even if O2 has a call made, the IMEI still shows that the phone is locked to AT&T. Even if O2 were willing to place the unlock request with Apple for you it would be rejected because Apple knows that the IMEI is locked to AT&T and the network the phone is locked to has to be the requestor of the unlock.

I'm not sure if this is the case for every carrier or just AT&T, but I am fairly certain that what you are proposing will not work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

going off experience also, that is how they used to do things. but now. they require the IMEI to match with the one in their system that they sold. but i think you did tell him he is wrong for his input. It is like you answered your own question or didn't like the answer to your question. I tried o2 and they said they unlocked my phone only to find out they canceled it because my phone wasn't bought through O2. depends who you get as a CSR. the nice ones who don't know jack will let you slide.

Thanks

this is not true. o2 submitted 3 iphone4 imei's for me to the whitelist. then apple's itunes unlocked them. they are capable of submitting the request. the hard part is convincing them to.

Quote Originally Posted by opiate2002 View Post
    Based on extensive research but not first-hand knowledge, Apple will not accept an unlock request from O2 for an AT&T locked iPhone.

The carrier the phone is locked to is encoded in the IMEI of the device. Even if O2 has a call made, the IMEI still shows that the phone is locked to AT&T. Even if O2 were willing to place the unlock request with Apple for you it would be rejected because Apple knows that the IMEI is locked to AT&T and the network the phone is locked to has to be the requestor of the unlock.

I'm not sure if this is the case for every carrier or just AT&T, but I am fairly certain that what you are proposing will not work.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 04-27-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks

I'm going to give it a try as soon as my rebelsim arrives, even if they wont unlock it, I can still use it with the rebelsim
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very true but that might been of the past. O2 has been hit with so much request, I believe they ha a meeting to refuse it now and tell them to fill out the form. I had a CSR mention it is in the process of unlocked but told me that it is locked to ATT which can reject it.