+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facetime : Waiting for activation after GEVEY unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pliundemix View Post
    And I just registered an account... just to thankyou. Mine is movistar Colombia... and it worked like a charm!!1 Thanks!!!!
    Hola. Yo también soy Movistar Colombia, pero no me funcionó lo que hice. Podrías ayudarme, por favor? Mi correo es [email protected]. Mi número es 3164705499. Muchas gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by Netcruzer View Post
    Hey. I was in the same boat, I have a Telus locked iPhone, unlocked with Gevey, trying to use on Rogers. I could do everything but activate facetime, well after 4 days trying (mitime didn't work for me), I figured out a way to get facetime working for FREE.

First, get to your desired firmware (I'm running 4.3.3), jailbreak it (may not be necessary, but I jailbroke mine), and ensure it's properly activated and that push is working. Either use a legit sim, or SAM to activate.

Then, use the program DISK AID, connect to the root of your iPhone.
    Navigate to System > Library > Carrier bundles > iPhone > Unknown.bundle

Save out the carrier.plist that is in unknown.bundle. Save it to your desktop somewhere you can find it later.

Then, navigate to your intended carrier bundle, for example, mine was Rogers, so I went into the Rogers_ca.bundle, copy the carrier.pist from here into the unknown.bundle folder.

You have just overwritten the stock unknown carrier plist with the Rogers carrier plist.

The reason for this is so that you can use the correct number registration used for facetime activations.

Reboot your iPhone. Do the gevey process again. If you can't see the option to edit your "Cellular Data Network" in Settings > General > Network, then it worked. To clarify, it should be missing.

So, now you have verified that you are using the Rogers carrier.plist. Go to Settings > Phone > and Turn ON facetime.
    It will send a text message to the proper Rogers auth number (49988) instead of the UK number the unknown carrier tried to use.

You will be authorized! FaceTime works. Congrats.

Now.. you could leave it as is, but you might not have wifi tethering support.

To enable tethering, reconnect your phone to DISK AID and restore the saved unknown.bundle carrier.plist into the uknown.carrier folder.

Reboot.
    Do Gevey process again.
    Go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network, and reset settings.
    It should clear all APNs
    Manually re-enter your carrier settings for APN, MMS and Tether.

Exit

Everything should now be working, Push, Facetime, Cell Data, WiFi Tether.
    You're welcome!

NOTES: This process of swapping the carrier.plist file into the unknown bundle folder should work to enable facetime with any OFFICIAL carrier.

You must copy the plists around because editing them is not possible, the plists on iOS 4.x are signed and cannot be changed, but you CAN move them around.

Hey, I'm in Movistar Colombia. I followed all the steps but it didn't work. Maybe you can tell me if the fact that I am using WiFi and not my carrier's data network is what makes the process fail. Thank you.
    Last edited by manuelpacheco90; 07-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks

Hey. I was in the same boat, I have a Telus locked iPhone, unlocked with Gevey, trying to use on Rogers. I could do everything but activate facetime, well after 4 days trying (mitime didn't work for me), I figured out a way to get facetime working for FREE.

First, get to your desired firmware (I'm running 4.3.3), jailbreak it (may not be necessary, but I jailbroke mine), and ensure it's properly activated and that push is working. Either use a legit sim, or SAM to activate.

Save out the carrier.plist that is in unknown.bundle. Save it to your desktop somewhere you can find it later.

Then, navigate to your intended carrier bundle, for example, mine was Rogers, so I went into the Rogers_ca.bundle, copy the carrier.pist from here into the unknown.bundle folder.

You have just overwritten the stock unknown carrier plist with the Rogers carrier plist.

The reason for this is so that you can use the correct number registration used for facetime activations.

Reboot your iPhone. Do the gevey process again. If you can't see the option to edit your "Cellular Data Network" in Settings > General > Network, then it worked. To clarify, it should be missing.

So, now you have verified that you are using the Rogers carrier.plist. Go to Settings > Phone > and Turn ON facetime.
    It will send a text message to the proper Rogers auth number (49988) instead of the UK number the unknown carrier tried to use.

To enable tethering, reconnect your phone to DISK AID and restore the saved unknown.bundle carrier.plist into the uknown.carrier folder.

Reboot.
    Do Gevey process again.
    It should clear all APNs

Exit

You're welcome!

NOTES: This process of swapping the carrier.plist file into the unknown bundle folder should work to enable facetime with any OFFICIAL carrier.

You must copy the plists around because editing them is not possible, the plists on iOS 4.x are signed and cannot be changed, but you CAN move them around.
    OMG i love you man. this is so simple and worked like a charm. i can not believe i wasted my time on mitime and other staff. i had to make an account to thank you for this so thank you.

P.S i also have the telus iphone via gevey sim on rogers.

just one question what is the apn setting for tethering for rogers?
    Last edited by msb2011; 07-29-2011 at 10:39 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Reboot.
    Do Gevey process again.
    It should clear all APNs

Exit

You're welcome!

Thanks for the trick but I still see the Cellular Data Network after switching the plist files around. If anyone has any idea or had that problem let me know.

I'm on an ATT iphone 4.1 jailbroken with Gevey Ultra and Orange France Network.

edit: i think my problem my phone not being activated through itunes im gonna work on that first...
    Last edited by Sk3pticalKiller; 08-28-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought that the ALL carriers except AT&T would unlock the iPhone. If your iPhone 4 was officially unlocked would you have all of these problems?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont know about ALL the carriers but i know a lot of European ones have the obligation to do it if you ask them after 6 months of owning the phone, but they get you with the 24 months contract... And no you dont have all those issues if it is officially unlocked. Hopefully the price to unlock one will go down when the new ones come out in October.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just wish AT&T would unlock an iPhone even if it is AFTER the contract is over. According to AT&T's unlock policy you must: be a customer for 90 days or longer, account current and good standing, phone not exclusively sold, and phone unlock code is available from the manufacture. This only true for me. The iPhone 4 is also sold on Verizon so it isn't exclusive anymore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sir question, where can i find this "carrier bundle", what folder I'm sorry for being a noob "Then, navigate to your intended carrier bundle, for example, mine was Rogers, so I went into the Rogers_ca.bundle, copy the carrier.pist from here into the unknown.bundle folder."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yesterday I got the newer Gevey Ultra from Applenberry (the original one with F981 chip and FuriousMod source) and it is awesome. No need to dial 112 or other unlocking procedure, and it works untethered so even when the iPhone reboots it gets a network signal just 20 sec after the iPhone starts

It also has way better signal (full network bars)

The only annoying problem is that every time the iPhone reboots Facetime turns Off automatically and turning it On will send that stupid International SMS and that costs a lot of money

Is that normal ?

Any solution ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Reboot.
    Do Gevey process again.
    It should clear all APNs

Exit

You're welcome!

I have 2 iPhones 4 and I used your method but still non of them are able to activate FaceTime. I dont see the option to edit the network data and algo I got a new option related to my carrier so I guess I'm doing it right.

Hope you can help.

Thx!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think that .plist replacing is necessary unless it is for saving the international SMS. I only used SAM to activate and Push Doctor (free) and Facetime works just fine. In fact I got all of the iPhone 4 feature running although people say hacked/gevey unlocked iphones don't have all the features enabled compared to official iPhones

The only problem is the one I mentioned before, Facetime needs reactivation when the iPhone reboots and that is expensive !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default help

Reboot.
    Do Gevey process again.
    It should clear all APNs

Exit

You're welcome!

i have done everything above but when i turn the facetime on it says waiting for activation, could it be because i'm doing this in the middle of the night? anyways, when i restore the unknown.bundle carrier.plist to the unknown.carrier folder, it says that there already is a file with the same name which is the one that i put in from the intended carrier, so do i replace the carrier.plist file with the original one from the unknown.bundle or do i just leave it as it is, if i leave it i wont have the cellular data network option but there is still the mms option in my messages. For the authorization of the facetime does it have to be during business hours or any time at all? Pls help! thanks!

Thanks

All information contained in my post came to me in a dream. I don't even own an iphone.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if i dont jailbreak how can i access the root folder from DISK AID?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squadillaaah View Post
    if i dont jailbreak how can i access the root folder from DISK AID?
    You think maybe this should be a new thread?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

If you don't jailbreak , how are you going to get to root folder

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much. This is amazing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

little update.

I finally got it to activate with gevey, i went with a new carrier (supposedly not iPhone cmpatible as they don't sell them) so i had to enter some information related to the carrier in the phone myself. More excatly in the Cellular Data Network page (Data APN, MMS APN,MMSC and MMS Proxy)
    Now Facetime activates but when i try to make a facetime call it just says the person is unavailable and when the other person tries it says that i'm unavailable...

Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it has to be some carrier who is supported by apple for iphone 4. I tried with a different carrier but face time wouldnt activate then i had to buy sim card from one of the carriers selling iphone(airtel) and changed the phone setting as metioned by netcruzer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Reboot.
    Do Gevey process again.
    It should clear all APNs

Exit

You're welcome!

Hi all,

Information of my phone:

ios : 4.3.1 (gevey)
    baseband : 4.10.01
    carrier : 10.0
    Model : MC603C ( i think that carrier is Rogers for Canada)

I have tried so many times the SAM to fix push notification problem. However it did not work. Then i have found this post. I really wonder that can it be solution for this problem ?

Could you please share your comments?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Will it work for 4.3.5 version?
    Netcruzer, I think I have followed the instructions correctly but still unable to activate facetime. What do you guys think? Anyone tried on 4.3.5?