+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: gevey sim only works once

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello! I bought a gevey sim and when I try to use it on my iphone 4, it doesnt work UNLESS I restore to a factory firmware, then it will
    Banned
    Thanks
    Angry gevey sim only works once
    Hello! I bought a gevey sim and when I try to use it on my iphone 4, it doesnt work UNLESS I restore to a factory firmware, then it will work once until you reboot it. By not working, I mean it goes through all of the steps but when it goes to connect to the network after the no sim card installed message, it gets bars but never says "T-Mobile' then after about 30 seconds of this, it just says "no sim installed" then "sim failure". This is my second gevey sim, and my first one was doing the same thing! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. During the 30 seconds where it does have bars it shows the little "E" for edge but then it just quits. I can also call and get calls during that time but when it shows the "sim failure" the calls just fail.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would stop using it this against the law in most countries

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoolman88 View Post
    I would stop using it this against the law in most countries
    it is only illegal if you are actually connected to Emergency Services. If you hang up within 2 seconds, it is fine. get it right bud.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well seeing you know so much about it why u need help using it

And u should go look at musclenerds tweets he even says it's against the law

But here is a simple google search that should help ya How to Use Gevey SIM to Unlock iPhone 4 On Baseband 2.10.04 / 3.10.01! | 1st iPhone
    Last edited by zoolman88; 04-22-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoolman88 View Post
    Well seeing you know so much about it why u need help using it

And u should go look at musclenerds tweets he even says it's against the law

But here is a simple google search that should help ya How to Use Gevey SIM to Unlock iPhone 4 On Baseband 2.10.04 / 3.10.01! | 1st iPhone
    in case you diddnt read my post, it works when I restore, but when I reboot and try the process again, it doesnt work until I restore again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay, I'm having the same problem. I tried it in my friend's iPhone 4 and it also only worked once. You're farther on figuring this out since you found the oddity of it working once on every fresh firmware restore. That really sucks though! I thought I could finally put down my old 2G and start using the i4 as more than a touch >>

Anyone that has a remedy for this should help us!
    And lol the controversy about 112 is more talked about than a weird little error, so help us rather than reprimand us for something we know already -_-

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Did you try powering down and removing the gevey, then try the initialization procedure again?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

Macmac80210 (04-22-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Dunno about Macmac, but I have for sure restarted many times, and tried different combinations of settings and whether I pulled the sim tray out, etc.. to no success =\

When it does work (from the second time and afterward) it gets almost full bars, but never shows the "T-Mobile" text. After about 20 seconds, the bars turn into a single bar, and then I get some errors about SIM failure, and the top left displays "Invalid SIM." This is the best that has happened since the second time doing the procedure on this phone. What do I do

Banned
    Thanks
    Default Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Halo View Post
    Okay, I'm having the same problem. I tried it in my friend's iPhone 4 and it also only worked once. You're farther on figuring this out since you found the oddity of it working once on every fresh firmware restore. That really sucks though! I thought I could finally put down my old 2G and start using the i4 as more than a touch >>

Anyone that has a remedy for this should help us!
    And lol the controversy about 112 is more talked about than a weird little error, so help us rather than reprimand us for something we know already -_-
    I think that I'm on the verge of figuring this one out I got it to work a few min ago with a really weird combo of taking it out and resetting settings. I am gonna play around with it a little more tonight. I am also going to try to get a new tmobile sim tomorrow and see if that solves the issue...I will keep you posted!!

Dunno about Macmac, but I have for sure restarted many times, and tried different combinations of settings and whether I pulled the sim tray out, etc.. to no success =\

When it does work (from the second time and afterward) it gets almost full bars, but never shows the "T-Mobile" text. After about 20 seconds, the bars turn into a single bar, and then I get some errors about SIM failure, and the top left displays "Invalid SIM." This is the best that has happened since the second time doing the procedure on this phone. What do I do
    If you restore, then jailbreak WITHOUT rebooting the phone, it works...

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    Did you try powering down and removing the gevey, then try the initialization procedure again?
    Trying it now. Will let you know.
    Last edited by Macmac80210; 04-22-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

mm, sucks that I'll never be able to reboot it. I have a set of things that I install from Cydia. No hope, then? =\

Just curious, did you have to reset ALL settings, or just network or something like that? There's a lot of app data and other settings that I'd prefer to keep, if that's possible..

But yes, keep us posted =]

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    Now I'm not even getting the welcome screen...

mm, sucks that I'll never be able to reboot it. I have a set of things that I install from Cydia. No hope, then? =\

Just curious, did you have to reset ALL settings, or just network or something like that? There's a lot of app data and other settings that I'd prefer to keep, if that's possible..

My bet, it is the sim card..... check this out though

Rebel Micro Sim Card Unlocks iPhone 4 basebands 1.59.00 / 03:10.01 / 02.10.04 / 04.10.01 running iOS 4, iOS 4.1, 4.2, 4.2.1 and iOS 4.3 without requiring you to jailbreak your device

Ya I know. This is so weird. I am also gonna call apple n berry tomorrow. See if they have any idea?

No luck tonight. Will try again tomorrow. It would be helpful if you could call apple n berry tomorrow and tell them your problem aswell so they get an idea that the problem does exist.
    Last edited by Macmac80210; 04-22-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I dunno what's going on with your phone and the gevey card. It should work repeatedly, regardless of how many times you're rebooted. Are you following the instructions correctly? I know once the phone reboots, the welcome message pops up. Then you gotta wait till you get that one signal bar icon. Count 15 seconds from there. Dial 112 and hang up in 2 seconds (not under 2). Then go to airplane mode and wait until you see No Sim message. Turn on airplane mode and you should get sim failure. After that, the unlock should work just fine.

Other possibilities may be that you mangled your sim card to the point where the interposer is not recognizing it properly or you have an old T-mobile sim card. Also, are you making sure that the sim card is completely flush and aligned in the sim slot? Another is that you installed custom firmware which is not exactly compatible. Other than that, maybe just bad luck?

I reboot my phone often since I have updates through Cydia which requires me to reboot. The card still works regardless.

Thanks

Perhaps it's bad contacts? Is the sim sitting flush after trimming it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    I dunno what's going on with your phone and the gevey card. It should work repeatedly, regardless of how many times you're rebooted. Are you following the instructions correctly? I know once the phone reboots, the welcome message pops up. Then you gotta wait till you get that one signal bar icon. Count 15 seconds from there. Dial 112 and hang up in 2 seconds (not under 2). Then go to airplane mode and wait until you see No Sim message. Turn on airplane mode and you should get sim failure. After that, the unlock should work just fine.

Other possibilities may be that you mangled your sim card to the point where the interposer is not recognizing it properly or you have an old T-mobile sim card. Also, are you making sure that the sim card is completely flush and aligned in the sim slot? Another is that you installed custom firmware which is not exactly compatible. Other than that, maybe just bad luck?

I reboot my phone often since I have updates through Cydia which requires me to reboot. The card still works regardless.
    Yeah, I've followed those instructions to the second. I've also tried both counting 2 seconds after the call starts being made, and "immediately" ending the call. For both cases, the bars for my provider are shown for around 20 seconds, and then disappears with a SIM error from the phone.

I believe my sim card is the new version, since my last one had a larger metal part.

Ugh it does seem odd that not many others have this issue, but I don't think I was too rough with the Gevey SIM interposer it shouldn't be that easy to break, right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did you buy the ACTUAL Gevey Sim or the fake one? My bet is that it is either a fake one, or your sim isnt sitting flush in there. Where did you buy it from? I had trouble with mine and I even used a sim cutter and I still had to trim it a bit to get it to work 100%, now I am over a month in and never had a problem, never had to reboot my phone or anything.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've followed those instructions to the second. I've also tried both counting 2 seconds after the call starts being made, and "immediately" ending the call. For both cases, the bars for my provider are shown for around 20 seconds, and then disappears with a SIM error from the phone.

I believe my sim card is the new version, since my last one had a larger metal part.

Ugh it does seem odd that not many others have this issue, but I don't think I was too rough with the Gevey SIM interposer it shouldn't be that easy to break, right?
    Ya you totally describe my problem.

I must be doing something right because when I do a fresh restore it works. You should try to backup and then restore and see if you get it once. This is my second gevey sim FROM APPLENBERRY and my other one had the same problem. I am getting a new sim card in a few hours and I will check and see if that works or not....good luck!
    Last edited by Macmac80210; 04-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a LOAD of data/apps to restore each time (it takes an hour or so) that I wouldn't be able to keep doing that every time, but sure, I'll give it a shot! Hopefully it is just a simple explanation =]

EDIT: Okay, just to make sure is everyone supposed to be getting "Emergency Call - dialing..." when they do the 112 step? Because that happens only when my phone reports No Service, and when it does have a single bar, this video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um30d3b9DMI"]this video[/ame] suggests that I wait for the "calling..." to turn into the Emergency Call dialogue. Is this supposed to happen? It may be our problem after all

I am on 4.3.2 with baseband 4.10.01. Originally when I started having this problem I was on 4.3.1 with baseband 2.10.04 or whatever. In case that narrows down anything
    Last edited by Dark_Halo; 04-23-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks

After you see one signal bar, call 112 and wait for it to call then hang up. FYI 112 will dail 911 on tmobile and Att network. So be careful.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yes. Don't let it say Emergency Call. In Vietnam, 112 doesn't go to an emergency hotline.

And I typically wait till the single signal bar shows up before I start counting the 15 seconds. It's always worked like that, but I have failed a few times if I start counting from the time I accept the first message.

And just so we're all clear, you guys who are getting the issues do have your sim cut out like it's shown on the applenberry.com, right?
    Last edited by douflag; 04-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright, that's what I've been doing. Counting 2 seconds after "calling..." appears.
    I've also counted both ways on the signal bar but it only worked the first time.

Someone in another thread mentioned that re-running greenpois0n over your existing setup makes it work again! which was good news, except that I'm on an iOS version higher than the supported 4.2.1 and I had to use redsn0w....which does not make a difference for me, unfortunately.

The SIM card pictured in your link is the old shape. My metal contacts are inside a smaller circle, but Yes, I had originally cut my simcard to fit nicely. It even looked like all the contacts were connecting but.... if they weren't would I even get signal for 20 seconds? Probably not