Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible Unlock Loop-Hole

Default Possible Unlock Loop-Hole
    So I've been thinking lately, O2 unlocks iPhones here in the UK assuming that it was bought through them. I wonder if they verify the IMEI is from O2 or simply submit it to the database.

Can someone buy an O2 pay as you go SIM, use it with a Gevey or clone in their iPhone and then submit the iPhone information to O2 to unlock it?

The same method would be possible for earlier basebands with ultrasn0w instead of the Gevey.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alex1015 For This Useful Post:

WirelessFreedom615 (04-17-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by alex1015 View Post
    So I've been thinking lately, O2 unlocks iPhones here in the UK assuming that it was bought through them. I wonder if they verify the IMEI is from O2 or simply submit it to the database.

Can someone buy an O2 pay as you go SIM, use it with a Gevey or clone in their iPhone and then submit the iPhone information to O2 to unlock it?

The same method would be possible for earlier basebands with ultrasn0w instead of the Gevey.
    Way ahead of you. I have unlocked Iphone with ultrasnow that I am using on a contract SIM with o2. Submitted my paperwork for unlock six days ago and waiting for response. One way or the other I expect to hear next week.

Excellent, let me know how/if it works

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Way ahead of you. I have unlocked Iphone with ultrasnow that I am using on a contract SIM with o2. Submitted my paperwork for unlock six days ago and waiting for response. One way or the other I expect to hear next week.
    Keep us updated it would be HILLARIOUS if the unlock was in front of us the whole time!

Somewhat related - I noticed that superpaddy (and presumably others) are selling O2 unlocks for 30GBP... He claims it'll only work with O2 phones, but did anyone try using it anyway? Since some ppl got O2 to unlock their AT&T phones for free, mebe this would work too

I've given up and bought an IMEI unlock to WirelessFreedom asap as I knew it was possible to backup unlock datas using SAM... I wont risk the IMEI unlock become soon unavailable then tring O2 and fail... WirelessFreedom is getting orders by skype chat during the week end which is very convenient. I think there is too much wait / order queues on other websites.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "Now... Let's go synthesize some LSD!" Dr Walter Bishop (Fringe)

I'm already awaiting the arrival of my o2 go cards. I've also chatted with several csr. They said as long as you use here network, they will unlock your iPhone. Just need security info like last time you top up, amount and of course make a call. Assuming your unlocked with 1.59bb or gevey, making a call on there network completes the security requirements. They shall send a request to unlock your IMEI, so they so.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    I'm already awaiting the arrival of my o2 go cards. I've also chatted with several csr. They said as long as you use here network, they will unlock your iPhone. Just need security info like last time you top up, amount and of course make a call. Assuming your unlocked with 1.59bb or gevey, making a call on there network completes the security requirements. They shall send a request to unlock your IMEI, so they so.
    Does international roaming count as using their network?

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Does international roaming count as using their network?
    I recently read that a CSR said so.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thats an interesting thought, I guess it could be possible if i went back over the the UK with my ultrasn0w unlocked ip4 and use a pay as you go o2 sim card to "prove" my iphone is with their network I could pay their cheaper fee to have it IMEI unlocked?

I too am trying to use an unlocked (ultrasn0w) 3GS + O2 PAYG SIM to get a true factory unlock. I'm logging the process at royalewith.tumblr com if anyone is interested in the specific steps I've taken thus far (biggest headache thus far has been getting credit on the SIM, but even with that behind me, I still have 'no service' with it...)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to magitekkn For This Useful Post:

muddyh2o (04-17-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by magitekkn View Post
    I too am trying to use an unlocked (ultrasn0w) 3GS + O2 PAYG SIM to get a true factory unlock. I'm logging the process at royalewith.tumblr com if anyone is interested in the specific steps I've taken thus far (biggest headache thus far has been getting credit on the SIM, but even with that behind me, I still have 'no service' with it...)
    Thanks for that info! I'll follow your saga unfolding on tumblr

I too have ordered an O2 paygo sim on ebay from a UK seller--who said the sim had been activated in UK. It was actually pretty cheap (~5+ USD total). So I will have to see if it makes the process easier. The top-off part sounds hairy...did you have to ask the UK seller to put credit in your paygo sim acct?

Well, it's worth a try.

Green Apple
    Thanks

how would you like to make a phone call, using o2 sim card on the phone which is locked to diff network? i dont think so.
    o2 can unlock iphones, as soon as those phones has been used and locked to o2 network. no matter contract or pay as you go. i tried it, does not work all the time. contract numbers get unlocked for free, pay as you go sims must have 20pounds credit after a chargeable phone call has been made, to be able to unlock, this unlock cost 20pounds.
    any more info, im here...

Quote Originally Posted by maaaslo View Post
    how would you like to make a phone call, using o2 sim card on the phone which is locked to diff network? i dont think so.
    o2 can unlock iphones, as soon as those phones has been used and locked to o2 network. no matter contract or pay as you go. i tried it, does not work all the time. contract numbers get unlocked for free, pay as you go sims must have 20pounds credit after a chargeable phone call has been made, to be able to unlock, this unlock cost 20pounds.
    any more info, im here...
    In my case this is no problem. My phone is already software unlocked and I am in the UK every couple of months. This is why I have a contract SIM at sterling 15 per month. Much more convenient than messing with pay and go. I have been using phone on o2 network since October so IMEI should be recorded on their network.

For sterling 15 I get 300 minutes, unlimited text and 500 Meg data plus unlimited wifi. I wish AT&T offered similar plans then I would not use t mobile in USA.

Hey nebo1ss--why didn't you do it over the live chat? They seem to be able to unlock it right away...

How Do I get to the live chat? If someone does the unlock process for me ill pay them.

i read this on the 02 site

To launch a chat session, open O2 Broadband Assistant, Click help on the left then select the chat option on the main window. Note you cannot start a chat session if you do not have an active broadband connection.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    i read this on the 02 site
    Only within their software

Quote Originally Posted by muddyh2o View Post
    Hey nebo1ss--why didn't you do it over the live chat? They seem to be able to unlock it right away...
    I did the online request before I knew about the live chat. Thought I would give it a few more days and then try the live chat.

I know others who have done it with the online form and it generally takes anything between six and ten days.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

muddyh2o (04-18-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast