Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible Unlock Loop-Hole

I posted some more thoughts on my 'page of notes' about the O2 unlock process (royalewith.tumblr.com). The take-away:

1) O2 Chat is available 5am to midnight BST, so it's pretty useless for east-coasters in the evening

2) smartphones seem that have a different activation process in general compared to feature phones... this makes me hopeful I'll see O2 service sometime soon...

This is a follow up to post two in this thread:

I received a text from o2 today as a follow up to my online unlock request. Now remember I have a contract SIM and have been using this Ultrasn0w unlocked phone on O2 on and off since October 2010.

It basically said "Sorry we cannot unlock your phone because it is not an o2 phone. You need to find out which network your phone is locked too and ask them to unlock it".

Don't think those buying pay and go sim are going to have any more luck.

Its not a big deal for me because my phone is already unlocked and when I upgrade I will get a factory unlocked Iphone five.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 04-19-2011 at 02:48 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

muddyh2o (04-19-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    In my case this is no problem. My phone is already software unlocked and I am in the UK every couple of months. This is why I have a contract SIM at sterling 15 per month. Much more convenient than messing with pay and go. I have been using phone on o2 network since October so IMEI should be recorded on their network.

For sterling 15 I get 300 minutes, unlimited text and 500 Meg data plus unlimited wifi. I wish AT&T offered similar plans then I would not use t mobile in USA.
    Very curious to know if this works. I could use a gevey and o2 sim here in the UK to unlock my ATT phone if it does work

EDIT: Thanks nebo1ss, I missed your post above
    Last edited by alex1015; 04-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alex1015 View Post
    Very curious to know if this works. I could use a gevey and o2 sim here in the UK to unlock my ATT phone if it does work
    You did not read my post immediately above yours. It did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by ish8894 View Post
    How Do I get to the live chat? If someone does the unlock process for me ill pay them.
    il try the process for you but have you used a o2 sim in you r iphone befaore?and what network are you on now?

Thanks for the update nebo1ss! Are you going to still give live-chat a shot? Email unlocking and live-chat unlocking services may very well be handled through different people and protocols...

Quote Originally Posted by muddyh2o View Post
    Thanks for the update nebo1ss! Are you going to still give live-chat a shot? Email unlocking and live-chat unlocking services may very well be handled through different people and protocols...
    I did not use email. I used the o2 site where I have acc log on and password. I tried chat with Lucy and I can assure you Lucy is a computer that can only provide stock answers. I received o2 response by SMS to my phone.

I suspect they are now checking the IMEI which is easy to do.

You should try live chat. Email us more strict.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

nebo1ss (04-19-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    I did not use email. I used the o2 site where I have acc log on and password. I tried chat with Lucy and I can assure you Lucy is a computer that can only provide stock answers. I received o2 response by SMS to my phone.

I suspect they are now checking the IMEI which is easy to do.
    To get live chat be sure to use internet explorer and add the website to trust zone. Next do it from 10am to 11pm UK time...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "Now... Let's go synthesize some LSD!" Dr Walter Bishop (Fringe)

Have you guys read the news about Apple's latest granted patent on multi-sim phone? If iP5 has it no more unlocking will be needed!

No I haven't lol

Quote Originally Posted by magitekkn View Post
    I posted some more thoughts on my 'page of notes' about the O2 unlock process (royalewith.tumblr.com). The take-away:

1) O2 Chat is available 5am to midnight BST, so it's pretty useless for east-coasters in the evening

2) smartphones seem that have a different activation process in general compared to feature phones... this makes me hopeful I'll see O2 service sometime soon...
    Hi magitekkn--been following your blog on the unlocking progress...just got my O2 paygo sim + gevey sim to work without a hitch. The o2 sim seller (from UK) activated before shipping out, so I can get on o2 intl roaming right away--and it is on ATT for me btw (I know you got on Tmobile).

However I couldn't find any UK ebayer selling o2 topup voucher to international buyers...Could you recommend the person you bought the voucher from?

Saw your 4/21 update as well--good luck and hope their unlocking service comes back soon!

P.S. Have you tried to SMS your o2 paygo sim? I just sms mine from skype and it worked! I couldn't send, but can receive sms for free! There is no credit on my o2 sim yet, so now I am thinking about using online voucher vendors such as topups247...maybe should wait to see if you will go through first:-)
    Last edited by muddyh2o; 04-22-2011 at 01:04 AM.

I purchased mine from 'imsellingyourbuying2011', a seller with feedback of 86. Rather than deal with days of waiting for an auction to end, I purchased my 20 top up for 18 as a buy it now.

To purchase internationally, first verify with the seller that they will accept paypal without issue if it backed by a foreign credit card. They shouldn't care since paypal should abstract away what the original source of the funds are. Also, shipping should be listed by the seller as 'free' or 'local pickup'. To get around the international restriction, I supplied a UK shipping address. Which was not an issue as there was nothing to be shipped. Billing, of course, was handled through paypal and was authenticated against my credit card's billing address. I recommend ebay over the websites selling top ups.

As for SMS'ing: Yes it works, if you can register your sim with O2.co.uk, you can even send free messages (a small number) from the website (or use google voice I guess). I have made calls and sent texts, it's very nice how you get a notification after each billable action. Christ, it's expensive though. 0.49p for texts and 1.49 per minute for calls...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to magitekkn For This Useful Post:

muddyh2o (04-23-2011)

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm gonna hold off this O2 unlocking thing for a while--as it looks like it will be almost impossible to do it on att locked phone through them now. Chances are almost certain that someone from O2 or other UK iphone carriers have been whitelisting iphones for greed... So they will be extra anal about checking IMEI carriers for a while

Thread resurrection ftw:

I've been beating on the O2 CSR's trying to do the 'post 199' method, (essentially abandoning my efforts to use my PAYGO SIM to score an unlock.) To my surprise, I checked my O2 balance this morning to find it 15 lighter. Perhaps, progress is being made. I'm trying not to get too excited/over-confident.

I'm away from iTunes right now, so I have no way to verify that I'm any more unlocked than before, will post more later.

Post 199? The thread is only 35 posts, what do you mean

'Post 199' refers to daytonaviolet's post from the "Remote IMEI Unlocking available' thread from last month (in the news forum) where it was first reported that O2 could unlock AT&T iPhones at will.

So anyways, dropped by the house during my lunch break... no dice yet. But I'm buoyed by a post on the O2 support forums where a customer listed the time between the debiting of the funds to unlock as ~36 hours.

So you've gotten an O2 pay as you go sim and used it with a Gevey are asked in the online help thing to unlock the phone?

Well, I'm on a 3GS, so ultrasn0w instead of a Gevey. But, yes, I have a PAYGO sim from O2 and am (hopefully) close to having them unlock my AT&T iPhone for the low, low price of 15.

I really wish Gevey + O2 sim will work. I have an ATT Ip4 + Gevey + O2 Payg sim in USA roaming on ATT, made a call and did an SMS. Made a request to unlock the Ip4 to O2 on the unlock form, came back as my Ip4 IMEI not registered with my O2 sim, can't do it. Chat with an online chat agent, told to use the form again, I told the agent for some reason the unlock form didn't work for me, and when she took my IMEI to look at, she said the same thing also, IMEI not registered with sim. Again tell me I have to make a chargeable call to get it register and to try it in 24 hrs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast