Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking 3GS

Default Unlocking 3GS
    I currently have an iPhone 3GS that is currently on 4.2.1 and has the baseband version 05.15.04.

Is there any way I can unlock this iPhone without having to upgrade to 06.15.00 in order to unlock it. I want to avoid version 06.15.00 since it has GPS issues.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Pay for the carrier to unlock it, or look at paying $160+ for the IMEI lock by members of this forum

I am in the exact same boat you're in and have been since November of last year. After hearing of the nightmares with 6.15.00 on the 3GS (inoperative GPS and higher battery draw, specifically) I decided to just sit on this expensive iPod. In the meantime, instead of even considering anything as absurd as spending $160 for a possible unlock, I bought a few Android phones (Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 and Samsung Galaxy S).

Now I'm no longer holding my breath for an unlock that works with any of the more recent basebands and am really quite happy with Android. The only thing I miss are some of the more challenging games. But that's what my expensive iPod is for...

Musclenerd says that if they do find a way to downgrade from 6.15, people are going to have to upgrade to it then downgrade anyway, so if I were you I'd just move up to 6.15, unlock, and buy a map or gps. Still much cheaper than paying $160 for the IMEI unlock.

Risk you should unlock yours, sell it on craigslist and then buy a iPod off craigslist. You'd make money instead of using an iPhone as an iPod.

So there's no solution?

I have 4.2.1 on my new boot iPhone 3GS... I used Greenpoison and its baseband is 05.14.02... let me know if there is anything I can do?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wdy86 View Post
    So there's no solution?

I have 4.2.1 on my new boot iPhone 3GS... I used Greenpoison and its baseband is 05.14.02... let me know if there is anything I can do?
    Answers have already been posted in the thread but i'll repeat them for you

1. Buy Gevey Sim (or some other Turbo Sim clone)
    2. Pay the cost for the IMEI lock
    3. See if your carrier will unlock it for you
    4. Use ipad baseband + ultrasn0w

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RochOAR View Post
    Musclenerd says that if they do find a way to downgrade from 6.15, people are going to have to upgrade to it then downgrade anyway, so if I were you I'd just move up to 6.15, unlock, and buy a map or gps. Still much cheaper than paying $160 for the IMEI unlock.

Risk you should unlock yours, sell it on craigslist and then buy a iPod off craigslist. You'd make money instead of using an iPhone as an iPod.
    This is true.. I was one of the first ones In november that quickly executed the 06.15.00 BB upgrade on my new Bootrom 3GS and the only thing I can tell u is that I immediately noted loss of gps capability but in November,
    It was the only solution possible in order to achieve this result.

Its almost been half a year since and I can honestly tell u. The fact that I already been waiting already a long time when this method was developed made me very grateful to be able to use that iPhone 06.15bb to help with everything be able to make calls was far better of a thing for me than waiting for a GPS solution to be developed to fix all this. It was something I simply fixed my self with the following:

-In Cydia store look for an app BTSTACK GPS it's about 2.99 and very well worth it.

-on eBay find a bluetooth GPS mobile receiver
    (I personally recommend the BT-359CS bluetooth gps nav receiver. I found one for $30)

Problem solved and with $33. Never seen such perfect GPS Accuracy not even with the stock gps the iPhone uses standard. Anyway, hope this info was of help to anyone!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMiamiFL For This Useful Post:

Edman24 (04-26-2011)

So I decided to upgrade to v4.3.2 and unlock the phone by upgrading the baseband to 06.15.00. Now I am having major issue.

I installed a custom firmware created by using sn0wbreeze-v2.6 which also installed 06.15.00 baseband. I then went to Cyida and installed UltraSn0w. After rebooting, I started having issues. I wasn't able to connect to WiFi or my cellphone network. It keep continue say "Searching" for network.

So I decided to reinstall same custom firmware. When trying to restore, I got error 1015. Now I am stuck in continuous recovery loop. I used iREB to get out of the recovery loop, but it still stuck in recovery loop.

Please help.

*Note, my iPhone 3GS has old bootrom*
    Last edited by Zythyr; 04-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.

I believe you just have to use redsn0w to enter dfu pwnd state.( run redsn0w Check the box that says something about dfu. Can't remember what it says exactly right now. And make sure install Cydia is unchecked). Then you should be able to restore using custom firmware. But I don't think ultrasn0w support iOS 4.3.2 so you might have that issue down the line for now at least

I don't get why people jump on the new firmware with a jb'd and unlocked device. Your asking for trouble doing so.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

my 3GS on old boot rom doesn't have any gps issues. it works perfectly fine. so I would say go ahead do it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I've had this discussion multiple times so I'll not make it into a disagreement. All GPS breaks. If you don't believe yours is broken, test a true GPS app like Navigon or TomTom first to verify.

Aside from that, even if for some odd reason I am proven wrong, theres no guarantee your particular device will not experience the broken GPS. it is said that all devices are affected, some say theirs aren't affected and some say theirs are, there's no way of telling what youre gonna get. So only do this expecting not to have GPS afterwards.

Also all devices with the iPad bb cannot restore to stock firmwares

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

jackson1714 (04-25-2011)

Thanks

just run a redsnow untethered for that firmware install cydia not the iPad bb because you already have it once done go to cydia and get ultrasn0w then you should be good

all you have to do with 6.15 is bb is wait for a untethered jb. once there is one just update via iTunes and you'll get a 1015 error, then all you have to do is run redsnow install cydia and the ultrasn0w this will always work until there's a higher bb.
    Last edited by jackson1714; 04-25-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If somebody already has the iPad bb installed, he/she must use a custom firmware which means the restore to custom fw already jb the device.

You would *not* run redsn0w on it to install Cydia after. Redsn0w is only used if you restore to a stock firmware which devices with the iPad bb can't do bc it'll throw them into a DFU boot loop.

Thanks

yeah the boot loop is because of the bb the os is already there you can either use recboot or ireb but if you run redsnow with the corresponding firmware just click install cydia and it will work trust me I did this exact same method to update via 4.3.1 it works

You can try unlocking at TheUnlockSpot they will surely give a good solution.
    Last edited by asmeena; 04-25-2011 at 11:30 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to asmeena For This Useful Post:

ellie_nowwell (06-05-2012)