+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Testing O2 unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by jguest I just bought a gevey and an o2 prepaid sim. I don't see why it shouldn't work. Here's hoping! Any update? Thanks.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    I just bought a gevey and an o2 prepaid sim. I don't see why it shouldn't work. Here's hoping!
    Any update? Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I received my o2 sim card today and my ip4 with gevey recognizes it. It shows my Att logo and all the o2 pan settings. When I try to make a call it wants me to top-up the sim card. One of the requirements before top-up is a postal code from which it the o2 sim card was activated. Is there anyway to skip this step? Is there a postal code I can try?

K8L
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    I received my o2 sim card today and my ip4 with gevey recognizes it. It shows my Att logo and all the o2 pan settings. When I try to make a call it wants me to top-up the sim card. One of the requirements before top-up is a postal code from which it the o2 sim card was activated. Is there anyway to skip this step? Is there a postal code I can try?
    This is a valid one :

BH22 0ZX

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "Now... Let's go synthesize some LSD!" Dr Walter Bishop (Fringe)

Thanks

Thanks.. Now my debit card got declined . It's a safety feature with my WFB card. I'll try again tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to top-op. Next step is make calls.. The chat with crs next week. Wish me luck.

K8L
    Thanks

Thanks.. Now my debit card got declined . It's a safety feature with my WFB card. I'll try again tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to top-op. Next step is make calls.. The chat with crs next week. Wish me luck.
    Good luck, keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "Now... Let's go synthesize some LSD!" Dr Walter Bishop (Fringe)

Thanks

I got my o2 sim with a 10GBP credit and also ask the seller to get me another 10GBP voucher at the same time. Anyway, I went to the o2 chat and ask the Csr to unlock the iPhone, they all wanted me to fill out a unlock request form. Still trying my luck with the chatting system.

Thanks

I would put at least 25gbp. 15gbp is what they will charge if you didn't buy the phone from them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anybody has update on the O2 unlock story?

I would put at least 25gbp. 15gbp is what they will charge if you didn't buy the phone from them.
    Well everybody has been quiet--not an encouraging sign...

Been thinking about this gevey_o2 sim logic again lately--one key issue why it wouldn't work is that gevey sim very likely spoofs ICCID, so your real o2 sim and mobile number won't match your imei on O2 network... therefore as long as o2 requires your imei and iccid match on their network, gevey method won't be able to pass for unlatching. Expert opinion?
    Last edited by muddyh2o; 04-25-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

All O2 chat keep telling me to use unlock form, none of them wanted to do it for me. Then when I use the form, 1st time they said I have to make a chargable call, so I did a SMS, then a call. Waited 2 days, summit the form, now they said my account are nowhere to be found... I don't know. But anyway, I'll be going to UK sometime next year, so I'll keep the sim card active and be use it when I get there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mashirabbit View Post
    All O2 chat keep telling me to use unlock form, none of them wanted to do it for me. Then when I use the form, 1st time they said I have to make a chargable call, so I did a SMS, then a call. Waited 2 days, summit the form, now they said my account are nowhere to be found... I don't know. But anyway, I'll be going to UK sometime next year, so I'll keep the sim card active and be use it when I get there.
    Bummer! Here is some useful tutorial on gsm routing I came across:

PT - GSM Tutorial

Basically what I learned there is that a roaming o2 sim only registers with the visitor network (e.g. ATT). The O2 home network in UK is updated by ATT about the sim's current location, so it can validate its service with o2 when a call request is ---made by att, but the O2 registration record on the sim is static--i.e. the sim is still tied to the last phone registration when a call was made inside UK with that sim.

ATT will have your sim-imei matching info because they are providing your mobile service, but all they need from o2 is make sure the sim is valid, so no need to tell o2 what your current imei is, therefore o2 can't see your current imei even though you could make and receive calls/texts...

I could be wrong. Just my understanding as I am learning too.

Thanks

Sorry I haven't been active with this o2 IMEI unlock as I should be. My ip4 was unlocked by them a few weeks ago as I was one of the lucky ones to get a csr who didn't verify my IMEI and just unlocked on the spot. Since then I was successful with two more IMEI unlocks from o2, but that was weeks ago. Recently I've been trying to do the u2 sim card method. But by doing so we got a few gevey pro chips. Then ran into the debit card decline few days ago.. Lol. But since using the gevey chip, my friends seem content with it for now. I admit the u2 sim card method is still hit and miss. It still takes a lucky csr to unlock without abiding to all the rules so. Perhaps I'll try again soon when my friends get tired of the gevey method.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the exact same idea, but I'm on Orange, my plan is to switch to O2 then use the O2 sim card in my Iphone 4 along with a rebel sim, make a call, then get my iphone unlocked
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation International roaming does NOT register your IMEI on O2 network
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    I had the exact same idea, but I'm on Orange, my plan is to switch to O2 then use the O2 sim card in my Iphone 4 along with a rebel sim, make a call, then get my iphone unlocked
    If you are in UK you have a better chance of this method working for you, but O2 may still deny your request based on your IMEI not being locked to O2.

For anyone not in UK and thinking about his method, I offically delcare it highly unlikely to work Unless you are lucky as datonaviolet to deal with some naive csr of course.

Here is why. This is an excerpt from an email I received from O2, and this should answer the question if international roaming will register your imei on O2 network. The answer is NO.

"Hello xxx,

Thanks for your email. Your iPhone will not get register if you're making a call from abroad to any of the UK number. It can only be registered if you're using it in the UK. In this case, you'll need to send back your phone to the UK to any of your relative orfriends with the SIM card in it. They'll need to make a chargeable call from it and wait for 24 hours to get it linked. When this is done, visit the link below to get your iPhone unlocked: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form

Also keep the 15 credit balance which will be taken-off from your credit balance as unlocking charge. If the credit balance is low you'll need to Top-Up. As you're abroad you can Top-Up using UK registered credit/debit card. If you're using any other credit/debit card it won't work. You can also ask your friends or family members in the UK to Top-Up for you. They can do this online, at a cash point, using a voucher or E Top-Up card, or over the phone by calling 08456 062 277 from a fixed line (calls are charged as per their service providers rate). If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know. Regards O2 Customer Service"

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

So this method works if you use a locked iPhone with a Gevey/Rebel Sim and have an O2 pay as you go account?
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    So this method works if you use a locked iPhone with a Gevey/Rebel Sim and have an O2 pay as you go account?
    Like I said in my last reply--if you are in UK, you could have a small chance to get your non-O2 iphone unlocked by O2 through gevey+O2 paygo sim method, provided O2 will cut you some slack. If they go by the rule, this method won't work.

The reason is that O2 checks for at least two things before unlocking your iphone:
    1) Whether your IMEI-SIM combo is registered on their network. You could only meet this requirement by using an O2 sim in your iphone to make a chargeable call/text INSIDE UK.
    2) Whether your iphone was bought from O2 (i.e. locked to their network).
    I can see some csr may not force the 2nd requirement...so it may be worth a shot for you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddyh2o View Post
    If you are in UK you have a better chance of this method working for you, but O2 may still deny your request based on your IMEI not being locked to O2.

For anyone not in UK and thinking about his method, I offically delcare it highly unlikely to work Unless you are lucky as datonaviolet to deal with some naive csr of course.

Here is why. This is an excerpt from an email I received from O2, and this should answer the question if international roaming will register your imei on O2 network. The answer is NO.

"Hello xxx,

Thanks for your email. Your iPhone will not get register if you're making a call from abroad to any of the UK number. It can only be registered if you're using it in the UK. In this case, you'll need to send back your phone to the UK to any of your relative orfriends with the SIM card in it. They'll need to make a chargeable call from it and wait for 24 hours to get it linked. When this is done, visit the link below to get your iPhone unlocked: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form

Also keep the 15 credit balance which will be taken-off from your credit balance as unlocking charge. If the credit balance is low you'll need to Top-Up. As you're abroad you can Top-Up using UK registered credit/debit card. If you're using any other credit/debit card it won't work. You can also ask your friends or family members in the UK to Top-Up for you. They can do this online, at a cash point, using a voucher or E Top-Up card, or over the phone by calling 08456 062 277 from a fixed line (calls are charged as per their service providers rate). If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know. Regards O2 Customer Service"
    Well that sucks. Guess I don't have much use for the microsim I bought off eBay then lol. Too bad there isn't a Canadian carrier that offers a similar service - I'd gladly drive across the border to unlock my phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Update on my situation. I don't think the gevey option will work for ANYONE as the gevey (from what I've gathered) spoofs your IMEI. The only way o2 will unlock your phone is if they see the IMEI used on their network. Since your IMEI is being spoofed by the gevey it will not work. Oh well Waste of 30$

Also O2 has told me multiple times for about a week now that they can not unlock ANY iPhone right now, as the servers are offline. They said they hope they'll have it back up within the 14 day waiting period they assign to people.

UPDATE: Gevey DOES NOT SPOOF IMEI, it spoofs IMSI. Read post below, I'm considering sending it to a buddy in the UK to try on o2's network.
    Last edited by jguest; 04-27-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: misinformation update

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Update on my situation. I don't think the gevey option will work for ANYONE as the gevey (from what I've gathered) spoofs your IMEI. The only way o2 will unlock your phone is if they see the IMEI used on their network. Since your IMEI is being spoofed by the gevey it will not work. Oh well Waste of 30$

Also O2 has told me multiple times for about a week now that they can not unlock ANY iPhone right now, as the servers are offline. They said they hope they'll have it back up within the 14 day waiting period they assign to people.
    Thanks for that update. Just our of curiosity, could you post a link to where it says gevey spoofs IMEI? I thought it only spoofs IMSI... If it does spoof imei, wouldn't blacklisted ip4s be able to work again with gevey? Not that I have a blacklisted phone, of course, just curious.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Doesn't spoof your IMEI, that's not true

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh!!! So Gevey doesn't spoof IMEI? Sorry for the misinformation, I'll update my original post. Hmmmm... So then the issue is with it not actually being on O2's network, but being on att's (or whoever I'm using over here).

So.... does anyone think its actually worth shipping to my buddy in the UK to use on the o2 network?