Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs 4.2.1 bb 05.15.04 Unlock Question

Default 3gs 4.2.1 bb 05.15.04 Unlock Question
    Hello all.

I have been a long time follower of this website and understand that at this time the only way for me to unlock my phone is to update the bb to the ipad bb. I really need the GPS, so for me this is not an option. I found a guy online on Craigslist who told me that he could unlock my phone without having to update to the ipad bb. When I asked how, he told me that its only possible as long as your BL is 5.08. I did some research and I thought that only a 3G can have BL 5.08 not 3GS. he told me that a 3GS has a BL of 5.08 too but it has to be a speacial downgrader (its not fuzzyband 3g). Can you guys tell me:

1. Does this guy sound legit?
    2. How do I check which BL I have?

Thanks for all of the work that you do.

I have a 4.2.1 phone 3g with 5.14.04
    I would have to say be careful with this guy. Ive done a crap load of reading and searching and found that, the only way to fix this problem is with Ipad exploit. Remember Since you are losing the GPS function, I still believe you can use Google maps. Which is probably just as good. I would double check though. I'm no modder so lets wait for what the others have to say.

Also, I would wait because if he screws up your phone, he has no obligation to fix it and can just leave.

Thanks for your input. I will be moving overseas in July so I want to make sure that I have the phone carrier unlocked by then with full GPS functionality as I have some international navigation apps already downloaded. The phone is locked with AT&T right now. I guess I might jusy have to wait and see if there will be an unlock in the next 3 months. What do you guys think? Should I just sell it on ebay and use the funds towards the purchase of another iphone or wait the 3 months and see what happens?

Default The guy is wrong; he mixed up 3G and 3GS
    The guy is wrong. He mixed up 3GS with 3G. That whole bootloader baseband downgrade thing is for a 3G not a 3GS, so ignore anything else he says because he's wrong. If he was right, believe me that info would be all over the place on this message board.

05.15.04 baseband is unlockable.