Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is this a legit Gevey Sim or a fake?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Just bc it looks like the real thing. It must be a really high quality fake if it isn't the real one.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Just bc it looks like the real thing. It must be a really high quality fake if it isn't the real one.
    Well I think it seems to be the one with Chinese stk because it doesn't have the code on the chip. I just hope it's the 1.8 V. Probably, maybe they used to remove that text in those. It indeed looks like the real thing. Thing is I don't feel like opening it until I travel to use the iPhone abroad soonish since I am on the carrier I'm locked to atm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well even if it is fake it seems fakes work anyhow.

WTFX, granted that it works, it's definitely fake. I received the same one recently and ended up returning it. I got a real one instead. You can tell immediately by looking at the sim tray. If the sim tray is fake and both are packaged together, it's a fake.

Does it have overheating or battery drain? If it doesn't it's good enough for me. But as I've mentioned earlier this seems to be the Chinese stk earlier version which didn't have the code on the chip. The tray looked different as well. I think it's the one the Gevey devs showed on their early video. I could be terribly wrong though. The clones I've seen looked somehow "messier". 420

----

So far two conflicting answers. I cannot guarantee I can return it but I might try. But if this one doesn't heat it's fine. Anyone?
    I think the OP has the same one as me as well.

Damn it merged, can't bump over here then.. Oh it bumps anyway.

----

Well, I just went out to buy another carrier's prepaid and ripped the packaging open and am trying it now.
    Works just fine, but I also concluded from the tray's look that it's probably fake.
    STK turned out to be English not Chinese.
    I'm gonna keep it in till tomorrow or something to see if it has any heating probs. Which area should I be anticipating to heat if any? The area around the tray & the tray itself or..? TIA
    Last edited by WTFX; 05-06-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@WTFX, how much did you pay for it and where did you get it?

Anyone know if there is authorized legit seller of gevey sim cards on Amazon?

Also how do you know whihc chip is on 3V or 1.8V? Is it by text on chip? Size? I am assuming if the chip has signs of sanding its fake one.

Quote Originally Posted by DraganUS View Post
    @WTFX, how much did you pay for it and where did you get it?

Anyone know if there is authorized legit seller of gevey sim cards on Amazon?

Also how do you know whihc chip is on 3V or 1.8V? Is it by text on chip? Size? I am assuming if the chip has signs of sanding its fake one.
    Got it just from a random seller in the country I reside in atm. Not in US. Not many sellers here, so it's just someone who gets a batch from time to time.

Well I heard only the ones that have writing F981 (model of the chip) along with 2 more lines are legit, but lately even applenberry has supposedly been shipping models without any text on the chip, so it's not that simple.
    Anyway, that F981 runs at 1.8V at least. And if you get one with that chip it would be pretty surely a legit Gevey.

I've had my Gevey in for couple of hrs and no heating so far. I might keep it. Gonna keep it in longer and see.
    That voltage difference thing was the only thing bugging me as I was worried a fake one with 3V chip could seriously mess something in the iPhone. It was relatively rare info anyway I only stumbled upon few days ago. But if there are clones running at 1.8V, I'd guess those would perform just fine.
    Quoting: "Only original Gevey SIM comes with F981 as they have bought out this chip in the market"
    Anyway, I'd doubt there's no other chip in the market that runs at 1.8V, so I'd think at least some clones would be running at 1.8V as well and be fine.

And of course I'd prefer legit, but since I'll travel quite soon I don't know if it's worth the hassle of returning it and trying to find a legit one since I probably won't need it for long. As long as it doesn't heat that is. If I notice any heat I'd become worried it might damage my baseband chip and would return it. Not that I heard anyone's iPhones' exploding so far. Just a few sources on the internet made me paranoid.

I have also found that those fake F300 chips operate from 3.0V to 3.6V, which I am not sure I would stick that in my phone.

Yeah. Well I was going to tell you to buy from applenberry to guarantee it's a legit one since they're an authorized reseller, but then I was struck by a comment in the same blog telling about the differences in the chips.
    I didn't post the link since different sites have different policies about posting links but since I recall others have posted links as well, here it is for others' reference: [Updated] [How To] Identify Fake GEVEY Sims & Avoid Getting Scammed

So this is the comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by chirag
    hi
    i just got the gevey sim pro from direct applenberry it successfully unlock my iphone but using this sim in 24 hrs my iphone battery drain out. i used my iphone only 1hrs 40 min and for calling only 13 mins. pls help me out this….

thanks
    Then again, maybe he's just having problems due to hacktivation or something.
    But after reading that and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I bought a Gevery SIM Pro from applenberry.com and it does not have the F981 printed on the chip
    I thought maybe they ran out of F981 chips and the new Gevey pros are using other chips which would mean they wouldn't be much better than fakes. I dunno, just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    Yeah. Well I was going to tell you to buy from applenberry to guarantee it's a legit one since they're an authorized reseller, but then I was struck by a comment in the same blog telling about the differences in the chips.
    I didn't post the link since different sites have different policies about posting links but since I recall others have posted links as well, here it is for others' reference: [Updated] [How To] Identify Fake GEVEY Sims & Avoid Getting Scammed

So this is the comment:

Then again, maybe he's just having problems due to hacktivation or something.
    But after reading that and this:
    I thought maybe they ran out of F981 chips and the new Gevey pros are using other chips which would mean they wouldn't be much better than fakes. I dunno, just speculating.
    I actually sell directly on ebay (13001r) i can confirm that the gevye pros are no longer using the f981 (at least not branded). I've only opened 2-3 packages to check and so far none of them have the f981. I do get my products directly from gevey so I know they are authentic. The main difference between the fakes and the legit ones are the sim tray and the quality print on the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    Here are pics of the GEVEY SIM I just got.
    While it looks like the legit model with the Chinese menu, what has me doubting is the way the GEVEY engraving looks in the tray and the bad printing quality of the manual. And also the fact that the tray and the SIM came in the same bag. Thus far I've seen most legit ones coming in separate bags.
    What do you think?
    If someone has this same particular one, can you tell me if it's working flawlessly?
    I just wanna make sure it doesn't have a chip that runs at 3 V instead of 1.8 V (many fakes do), which causes battery drain and heating around the SIM tray.
    Also sorry for some of the pics being not as clear as they could since it's still in the bag, but I'm keeping it that way for now in case I decide to return it.

Actually this is fake the (the apple logo with the leaf is incorrect, letters are too close together etc.)
    Last edited by 13001r; 05-09-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So nobody knows if the new chip from applenberry is better/worser, is using 1,8v / using >3,0v ?

And if the reports are true (the f981-print on the chip was removed from applenberry since a certain production date), perhaps the pro is the same hardware as the normal version?

Quote Originally Posted by hazex36 View Post
    I actually sell directly on ebay (13001r) i can confirm that the gevye pros are no longer using the f981 (at least not branded). I've only opened 2-3 packages to check and so far none of them have the f981. I do get my products directly from gevey so I know they are authentic. The main difference between the fakes and the legit ones are the sim tray and the process the sim initially uses.

- For the real gevey airplane mode should only have to be used once (instructions card should only have 4 steps not 6.)---- not applicable to the the first batch of the regular gevey sims.

Actually this is fake the (the apple logo with the leaf is incorrect, letters are too close together etc.) the instruction manual should show only 4 steps not 6 (if you bought your's recently) the first batch had 6.
    Thanks for your input.
    Yes, I figured the tray looks like an obvious fake. So the whole thing has to be pretty much a fake. (I mean they came in the same package after all) Well it's supposed to be of the first batch (probably clone of the first batch), but it actually works after turning the airplane mode on & off just once. And no heating or battery drain whatsoever. Talk about a high quality fake.
    I'm gonna try to replace it or see if the seller has any other batches that might be real since the seller himself seemed to think he's getting a legit product. I mean he mentioned his experiences with fakes and said he had them burn in few days. Anyway, I'm gonna try to exchange it if I can find any legit one with him or then try to get a refund if possible. If not, I'll just live with it since it works flawlessly. I'm just worried it might die on it's own with time.

Thanks for the info on the Pros as well, looking forward to your pics on the other thread.

An ebay-seller told me that Gevey changed also the sim-tray-supplier.

So are you sure the sim tray is a fake-indicator?

hazex36, do you have a picture of the sim tray you are selling?

Quote Originally Posted by hazex36 View Post
    Actually this is fake the (the apple logo with the leaf is incorrect, letters are too close together etc.)
    But: Compare the front side of the gevey-adapter you commented with the left picture (can be enlarged) of this selling-site:

NEW No CUTTING Gevey Pro for Iphone4 4.3 products, buy NEW No CUTTING Gevey Pro for Iphone4 4.3 products from alibaba.com

They look both the same.
    Last edited by MobileFire; 05-11-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Yiwu Girlshow Hair Products Firm" LMAO xD
    Anyway, the legit GEVEY Pro still requires cutting the SIM AFAIK.

Perhaps Gevey optimized the chip after launching the pro without giving it a new name. (UPDATE: After speaking with a supplier, i am almost sure, there is a new PRO without cutting)

Does anyone have the old pictureshow applenberry/gevey hosted on their website to demonstrate how fakes look like?
    Last edited by MobileFire; 05-12-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MobileFire View Post
    An ebay-seller told me that Gevey changed also the sim-tray-supplier.

So are you sure the sim tray is a fake-indicator?

hazex36, do you have a picture of the sim tray you are selling?

But: Compare the front side of the gevey-adapter you commented with the left picture (can be enlarged) of this selling-site:

NEW No CUTTING Gevey Pro for Iphone4 4.3 products, buy NEW No CUTTING Gevey Pro for Iphone4 4.3 products from alibaba.com

They look both the same.
    1. If You find any geveys on alibaba they are fake. (i know because I burnt through a couple of thousands of dollars when the first gen gevey sims first released before buying directly from gevey)
    2. From the picutures of the alibaba listing the sim tray is fake as its printed on(fake) and not engraved (legit if letters are separted)
    3. The chip is still the same chip used in the old gevey (just without the fc #). The chips used in the pictures (alibaba site) are elongated horizontally.
    4. Also any gevey pro with a circular sticker on the packaging is fake.

I talked to eric sun (creator and owner of gevey tech inc) and he gave no indication of sim that required no additional sim cutting.

Once I get my hands on a good camera I will be making a fake vs authentic gevey pro picture / guide.

Quote Originally Posted by 13001r View Post
    4. Also any gevey pro with a circular sticker on the packaging is fake.
    Circular sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by 13001r View Post
    Once I get my hands on a good camera I will be making a fake vs authentic gevey pro picture / guide.
    That would be very nice.

Here more pictures showing both sides of the (real?) Pro:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/6064...Gevey-Pro.html
    Last edited by MobileFire; 05-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MobileFire View Post
    Circular sticker?

That would be very nice.

Here more pictures showing both sides of the (real?) Pro:

Buy Gevey Pro, Gevey Pro, Gevey Pro, Gevey Pro at Aliexpress.com
    nope also fake like I said any geveys you'll find on Aliexpress is FAKE and any with that elongated chip is FAKE.

Also Fake? Let us know! (That a serious ebayseller.)

GEVEY Pro Turbo Unlock SIM iPhone 4 NEU für iOS 4.3.3 | eBay

GEVEY PRO 2.0 Unlock SIM für iPhone 4 NEU bis iOS 4.3.3 | eBay

But here a Video of a Pro without cutting:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0U96W19JI[/ame]
    Last edited by MobileFire; 05-13-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast