+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is this a legit Gevey Sim or a fake?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I totally agree with you because the sim should be free just like how you go into Tmobile to get a new sim. I guess nothing is free. Its only
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I totally agree with you because the sim should be free just like how you go into Tmobile to get a new sim. I guess nothing is free. Its only like 10 bucks for it now and I bought mines for $25. Well it was better than paying 75 when the first original came out. The real gevey sim has some flaws as they have the Gevey pro now. So if the genuine original sim has flaws, u mind as well go wit a fake one to save money

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had this same gevey. I guess the real gevey has words or numbers on the micro chip. And the fake has blank microchip.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think Gevey pro is a marketing trick. They needed a way to bring the price down because their original price was too high and they needed to separate themselves from the flood of fake gevey sim's on the market.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jbounce For This Useful Post:

WTFX (05-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbounce View Post
    I think Gevey pro is a marketing trick. They needed a way to bring the price down because their original price was too high and they needed to separate themselves from the flood of fake gevey sim's on the market.
    My thoughts exactly. As soon as the Pro came out, the counterfeit recognizing images were removed suggesting that they didn't want to put pictures of the "older/regular" version next to the Pro as they'd appear exactly the same (probably).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how would you know if it's fake? i think a fake is when it doesn't work. i believe a gevey is real if it unlocks your phone. just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Actually there appears to be two versions that are legit (excluding the Pro now since I have no idea what are the differences, if any), an early version with Chinese SIM menu and another with English menu.. The one with Chinese menu doesn't have the numbers on the chip. However when Gevey was first demonstrated on a video by its devs themselves they used one with Chinese menu and it also lists a link to the legit Gevey site among the Chinese text. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty confident this is the case.
    Last edited by WTFX; 05-03-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

well wasn't gevey first used in China?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    well wasn't gevey first used in China?
    Indeed and since they have Chinese distributors along with applenberry it's possible that they (Chin. Distrb.) still receive/received at a time Chinese versions of the Gevey.

As a side note, I might be buying one tomorrow.. Excited, although I probably won't be using it until I travel in about a month. Hopefully the seller I'm getting it from has legit ones.
    Last edited by WTFX; 05-03-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoangtanle View Post
    how would you know if it's fake? i think a fake is when it doesn't work. i believe a gevey is real if it unlocks your phone. just my 2 cents.
    Just bc there are fakes don't mean they don't work. Some people say they work fine, some say they're not as good as the real thing. But they work fine. I mean it's like a fake iPhone. Its fake and not the real thing but it works, it's just a knockoff.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 05-03-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Just bc there are fakes don't mean they don't work. Some people say they work fine, some say they're not as good as the real thing. But they work fine. I mean it's like a fake iPhone. Its fake and not the real thing but it works, it's just a knockoff.
    hmmm i didn't get it from applenberry but it feels like the speed is the same thing. i guess sometimes you hit and miss with these gevey sims.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey as long as u can accept incoming calls and make outgoin calls is all it matters. But having a real iphone versus a fake is not the same because if you have the fake one, people definitely will laugh at you...

Thanks

Question Question to Gevey users
    This is an intercept from an unofficial Gevey FAQ.
    Can anyone who has used Gevey for a while tell me if this has ever happened to them? Thanks in advance.
    Q: I have full signal bars and I can call normally; but when other people call me it says number is not listed or goes directly to voice mail.

A: I have explained earlier that you need to obtain a TMSI from the network to connect. Theoretically the TMSI will stay with your number as long as your phone remain connected, and when you move between cells it is passed to the next base station so you don't have to call 112 again.

Nevertheless the carriers usually configure their network to refresh TMSI periodically for security and administrative purposes. It has also known that some cells, particularly the ones serving train stations and major road intersections, require a TMSI refresh following a hand-off(Because users tend to move in and out of coverage very rapidly, TMSI reuse cause unnecessary delays).

Your phone will not recognise the refresh because it is for your original IMSI and your phone is still on the test IMSI starting with 80900101. You can call because your old TMSI did not really expire and is hence accepted, however the network is unable to locate you because it uses the new TMSI which has never been updated on your phone.

Out of all the issues with the Gevey this one stands out as the most deleterious, and there is nothing you can do to stop it from happening. In fact you cannot even tell because the signal bars will appear normal and you can dial out perfectly fine. The only way out is to restart the phone and start over to match the TMSI.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SengBang View Post
    Hey as long as u can accept incoming calls and make outgoin calls is all it matters. But having a real iphone versus a fake is not the same because if you have the fake one, people definitely will laugh at you...
    Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. as long as you can use the function of the phone. it is real to me compared to a fake iphone where people will laugh for passing off as real. hahaha

Thanks

Lol I was comparing the concept that just bc there are fakes doesn't mean fakes don't work. I never said iPhone clones can compare to real iPhones. That's completely against all my beliefs.

The fake Gevey SIMs I've actually seen people with them and depending on the quality, it could cause some problems. Sone people have it work for a day or two then it quits. Some people have it work but it doesn't stay active too well. But at the same time I've heard good things that even the fakes are performing well. It might just depend on if you're getting a high quality fake or a low quality one

but if it works, it works.

Thanks

I've also heard some have overheating problems but it wasn't clear whether the iPhone itself heats up or the chip on the fake Gevey. Of course it could be it was just a scare tactic by applenberry to get people to avoid buying fakes by purpose since they're much cheaper. But I've indeed heard many people getting fakes which only work for a couple of days. So I'd say try to go for legit ones if possible since they're relatively cheap now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    Actually there appears to be two versions that are legit (excluding the Pro now since I have no idea what are the differences, if any), an early version with Chinese SIM menu and another with English menu.. The one with Chinese menu doesn't have the numbers on the chip. However when Gevey was first demonstrated on a video by its devs themselves they used one with Chinese menu and it also lists a link to the legit Gevey site among the Chinese text. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty confident this is the case.
    I think you are right here. My current supply has the writing in Chinese. They work great tho.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yip yup. If it works it works but it would be nice for it to be real. I think you hit or miss with these even with the real ones. I got the one from eBay for 13 bucks thy claim it's from hong kong. China3pp. Works wonders. Never lose signal or if I have no signal it will pick up once I get to a place to get signal

Thanks

Exclamation Pics of my GEVEY
    Here are pics of the GEVEY SIM I just got.
    While it looks like the legit model with the Chinese menu, what has me doubting is the way the GEVEY engraving looks in the tray and the bad printing quality of the manual. And also the fact that the tray and the SIM came in the same bag. Thus far I've seen most legit ones coming in separate bags.
    What do you think?
    If someone has this same particular one, can you tell me if it's working flawlessly?
    I just wanna make sure it doesn't have a chip that runs at 3 V instead of 1.8 V (many fakes do), which causes battery drain and heating around the SIM tray.
    Also sorry for some of the pics being not as clear as they could since it's still in the bag, but I'm keeping it that way for now in case I decide to return it.

Thanks

Yours is real.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

WTFX (05-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Yours is real.
    Thanks a lot for your reply!
    However, are you sure, I mean, how did you determine so?
    I know of the difference with the counterfeit having the circuit under the chip. And this one indeed doesn't have it. My doubts were raised by, as I mentioned earlier, the printing quality of the manual, the look of the engraving and the fact that they came in the same bag.
    Nonetheless, I guess those factors could change from a batch to batch. I also think it's probably real, but I'm not entirely sure.
    If someone has the same one please just mention if it has any battery drain or heating around the SIM tray.
    If it doesn't I'll be happy, even if it wasn't legit altho if those factors were okay it'd most probably be legit.