+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nervous about unlocking

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi. I'm new here and wanna use my 3GS with T-Mobile. I apologize in advance for the length of this. I went to T-Mobile last night chose a plan and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Nervous about unlocking
    Hi. I'm new here and wanna use my 3GS with T-Mobile. I apologize in advance for the length of this.

I went to T-Mobile last night chose a plan and got a SIM card. They sent me to a company to unlock for me for $20. Is that okay if I'm not comfortable doing it myself? I
    know I wanna do this but, since I'm voiding my warranty and feeling nervous I need some reassurance.

I've looked around a bit for answers before I posted but if it's been answered numerous times, forgive me.

Can I still click on links to make calls?

Can I still click on links to email?

Will I still have functionality of all the apps? (my GPS is prepaid and the best I've experienced)

Will Field Agent app work specifically? (It is store surveys exclusive to iPhone)

Do I still sync to ITunes? *What will happen to music library?

How will this effect my Apple account in general?

What about software & app updates?

With AT&T acquiring T-mobile what does that mean for iPhones that have been unlocked for use with T-mobile?

Can I ever get away from AT&T?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As far as I know, when you unlock a phone and jailbreak it etc, The phone will still run as if it were still under your main carrier. Nothing usually changes. Unless you have the ipad exploit unlock. As far as At&t buying out T-mobile, I dont think any changes have or will be made for some time. Your Itunes music and phone will still work as if it were never touched. Depending on what unlock you have your gps will be effected. I dont know about Field agent app though. Hope I helped. Also, after you unlock/jailbreak your phone Dont/ DO NOT update your phone, for as you will lose your unlock/jailbreak/money.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You should be able to easily find a tutorial online that will guide you with unlocking your 3GS if you are fine with using the ipad baseband. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me. Also pretty much everything will still work with T-Mobile, you can still sync, use dataplan (EDGE) if you bought one to access internet, update apps etc..

You can't use 3G internet.

You won't be able to use native GPS apps (TomTom for example) with ipad baseband.

If you choose the ipad baseband unlock then you won't be able to install stock iOS updates, you would need to use a program like PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware.

Also the AT&T acquisition of T-Mobile still has to go through the FCC, we would be looking at 1-2 years if it does get allowed to see any affect on T-Mobile iPhone users.

If you're not sure you need the ipad baseband then check this thread to see whether you have the right baseband for unlocking. If you have an older baseband that is compatible with ultrasn0w then you can have working GPS. How to Check If you can Unlock
    Last edited by Diddyo; 04-08-2011 at 09:43 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i-onix View Post
    As far as I know, when you unlock a phone and jailbreak it etc, The phone will still run as if it were still under your main carrier. Nothing usually changes. Unless you have the ipad exploit unlock. As far as At&t buying out T-mobile, I dont think any changes have or will be made for some time. Your Itunes music and phone will still work as if it were never touched. Depending on what unlock you have your gps will be effected. I dont know about Field agent app though. Hope I helped. Also, after you unlock/jailbreak your phone Dont/ DO NOT update your phone, for as you will lose your unlock/jailbreak/money.
    It was very helpful information. I appreciate you!

So don't update the phone's software, but can I update apps? 3G won't be available to me even in wifi mode?
    Last edited by Sting1062; 04-08-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Tell us which version you have
    Hello,

Before you do anything, look up these by going to Settings:General>About and telling us the numbers is says under VERSION and MODEM FIRMWARE.

Version=Operating System/Firmware (FW). For example, 4.0.3.
    Modem Firmware=Baseband (BB). For example, 05.13.04.

Whether you can unlock your phone with full functionality heavily depends on what these numbers say. If your baseband (aka Modem Firmware) is 05.13.04 or earlier you're in good shape! If it's 05.14.02 or higher, I don't recommend unlocking it, as it requires you to overwrite the baseband with one pulled from an iPad, which irreversibly causes the GPS to stop working, and voids the warranty.

If you have a phone with a baseband of 05.13.04 or earlier, I have tested these things personally:
    • Yes, clicking a link with a phone number will make calls on T-Mobile.
    • Yes, email links work.
    • Yes, you will have functionality of nearly any app that works with a 3GS and whatever iOS (FW) you are running.
    • I haven't tested Field Agent personally. But it should work fine, as all other apps work normally.
    • Yes, it will sync to iTunes.
    • It's okay, it won't affect your Apple account.
    • App updates, where the App Store icon tells you to update apps, work like normal. Software updates for the phone itself (the kind where iTunes has an alert to update your phone) should NEVER be done, because it could break your unlock.
    • The AT&T/T-Mobile thing, if approved by the government, will still take at least a year. It's unlikely you'll be able to have older phones work natively with T-Mobile, they'll probably just make you buy the brand new "iPhone 7 T-Mobile edition."

The phone will have T-Mobile's EDGE internet. The faster 3G internet doesn't do anything, it's because T-Mobile itself uses a somewhat different type of 3G than AT&T. Basically, internet works fine, just not as fast as natively on AT&T.

WiFi internet works fine.

Basically, with a properly jailbroken and unlocked phone with the right baseband, it works nearly the same as a native AT&T. The main difference, with calls, the voicemail button dials straight into your voicemail, as T-Mobile doesn't have a system for visual voicemail.
    Last edited by bologna; 04-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay mine shows as:

Version= 4.1
    Modem Firmware= 05.14.02

Bologna, I really thank you for your post! I hesitantly updated my iPhone software when urged to by AT&T. I don't recall which version, but it was after the apps first glided over the wallpaper, (debut of the iphone 4?) Ever since then, I've experienced increased dropped calls, and crashing apps. The service was awesome before this upgrade.

Financial hardship led AT&T to canceling my service, and recycling my number. A friend bought MetroPCS for me to help with my job hunt. I don't like it because nobody can hear on it. I don't know where to talk, how to sit, or what to do to get a strong signal.

Now that I have income coming in I want my iphone back. Nothing else compares! Are there any other options since it's not advisable for me to unlock?
    Last edited by Sting1062; 04-08-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmm. I wish you hadn't updated your phone!

Since you have a baseband of 05.14.02, this is tricky. This means you'll have to use the workaround, which is to overwrite your iPhone baseband with one lifted from the iPad tablet, which is baseband 06.15.00. Unfortunately, this breaks the GPS. And, once you put a 6.15 baseband on it, you can't revert back to a legit baseband, ever.

But, 06.15.00 does work, if you're willing to accept this reality.

If the idea of the iPad 6.15 baseband makes you uncomfortable, the only other thing I can think of is try to find a friend who also has a 3GS and see if they have 05.13.04 or lower as their baseband ("Modem Firmware"). Offer some cash to trade for yours. Typically, the less technically-inclined the person is, the more likely they haven't updated their phone.
    Last edited by bologna; 04-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's worth a try. Otherwise, dare I say it, I'll just give AT&T their money and use them again. Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

You may be able to strike gold if you have a friend with an older 3G or 3GS who's thinking of getting an iPhone 4. Offer your friend a phone-swap, they may even give you their old 3GS for free.