+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbroken 3GS iOS upgrade, unlock needed

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I got my 3GS from eBay few months ago. It came jailbroken and unlocked, with Cydia and limera1n installed. Details: iOS 4.1 (8B117) iBoot-359.3.2 (with usbview, couldn't find
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Arrow jailbroken 3GS iOS upgrade, unlock needed
    Hey guys, I got my 3GS from eBay few months ago. It came jailbroken and unlocked, with Cydia and limera1n installed. Details:
    iOS 4.1 (8B117)
    iBoot-359.3.2 (with usbview, couldn't find it in the Windows device manager)
    Baseband 6.15.00

I want to upgrade to the latest possible iOS version while still being able to unlock. Can anyone explain to me what should I do? I have no experience with jailbreaking. Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

open cydia and see what shsh you have..it will say at the top of the page in green writing. 4.2.1 is the latest firmware with an untethered jb out atm, you'll need 4.2.1 shsh to get there

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK, it says SHSH: iOS 4.2.1+, 4.3

Thanks

yep that's good that means you can go to 4.2.1. before you do anything else download tinyumbrella (google it) and save your shsh. now, I believe because your bb is 6.15.00 you can only upgrade/restore to custom firmwares..and the only custom firmware available for 4.2.1 is made via a mac, unless youve got a mac you'll need to download a 4.2.1 ipsw file for 3gs WITHOUT the 6.15 bb. let us know when you're up to that

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea I saved that SHSH (whatever that is) yesterday with tinyumbrella. Now that application says - All saved SHSHs:
    iPhone3GS 4.1
    iPhone3GS 4.2.1
    iPhone3GS 4.3
    iPhone3GS 4.3.1

Now I'm googling that custom ipsw, without baseband. Let you know as soon as I have it.

I found http://forum.iphone-developers.com/hacking-jailbreaking-modding/917-ios-4-2-1-custom-ipsw-files-made-pwangetool-all-idevices.html

Is that 3GS activated link what I need?
    Last edited by PedroCheco; 04-03-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I dunno..it's not letting me view the link for some reason. but if it's 3GS, 4.2.1 and without the 6.15 bb try it..when you download it, make sure the file ends with .ipsw not .zip. after that, get redsnow to put you into pwned dfu mode. then click 'start TSS server' in tinyumbrella. then restore to the custom firmware. need anymore help google it..I'm off to bed for tonight, I'll be on tomorrow if you still need help. dont forget to post if you're successful!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to keenpois0n For This Useful Post:

PedroCheco (04-03-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry for the broken link, this one should work.

I got that custom ipsw for 3GS from a link on the site above. I didn't restore it through iTunes yet though, because I just found out that there's a difference between custom ipsw for old and new bootrom. I have new bootrom, can anyone help me find the correct ipsw for me please?

Thanks

I'm not sure if that's right..try it anyway..I'm sure it's gonna work, my 3GS was old bootrom, I used snowbreeze to create custom firmwares and I dont believe it asked if i was old or new bootrom..but I could definitely be wrong!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

+1. Bootrom shouldn't matter at this point for 4.2.1 untethered.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

PedroCheco (04-17-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All right, I was busy lately and now I have time for the jailbreak. I wanted to put my phone to pwned DFU mode using redsnow (0.9.6rc12, Windows 7), but it wants me to select ipsw for the current firmware. As I said, I got the phone already jailbroken, don't know which ipsw was used. What ipsw should I choose at this stage?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

same as the ios version installed now for your model phone

14. The Following User Says Thank You to goofball2k For This Useful Post:

PedroCheco (04-17-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The official one from apple, right? Not a custom one

Done and working now! I only needed to download ultrasnow via Cydia to unlock it and it works fine. I was kinda hoping it would resolve my GPS problem too (seems it's not picking the GPS signal and only using triangulation). But that's a problem for a different thread. Thank you guys for your advice!
    Last edited by PedroCheco; 04-17-2011 at 12:32 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help please
    Hey, I just attempted a restore to custom 4.3.2 ipsw. I was following the same instructions as for my previous restore described above. I saved SHSH. Then I entered pwned DFU with redsnow (selecting 4.2.1 official). Started TSS in Tinyumbrella. Restored to custom 4.3.2 IPSW. After iTunes rebooted my iPhone during the restore, it said my iPhone needs to be recovered. Tinyumbrella showed that it is in DFU mode. I couldn't get out of it with power+home button combo. I am in recovery mode now, with my iPhone showing the cord and iTunes icon - this after I tried to restore to official 4.2.1 again and got an error after restoring.
    How do I enter DFU now and restore and get my iPhone working? I would be happy with any iOS version now :-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nevermind, I got back to pwned DFU and restored to another custom ipsw. Got it working.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys, so I want to upgrade to 5.0.1, preserve my BB and unlock with ultrasnow. I did not find any custom IPSW. Do I need them and follow the same steps as for my upgrade to 4.2.1 above, or can I use this guide?
    Last edited by PedroCheco; 12-29-2011 at 12:39 PM.