Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No service - waiting for activation iPhone 3Gs

Default No service - waiting for activation iPhone 3Gs
    Hey

I just bought a iPhone 3Gs which could not restore (error 1015), i managed to get it up and running but now the only problem is that when i pop in my sim card is says no service - weating for activation.. I have tried with ultrasnow and without since it scould be unlocked from the operator, but both situations gives me the error..

Does anybody have some tricks that could Lake the phone catch reception.. When it try to manually select the operator I am able to see the three different operators which has celltowers in my City..

Regards

Sent from my iPhone

it is on 4.2.1 right now and the baseband has been updated to 06.15.00 before I got it, that's way it gave the previous owner error 1015..

I have also tried that, I have both tried to activate it with a AT&T card and a Telenor (which is a local operator) card and as I mentioned in the first post I have tried with ultrasn0w and it doesn't seem to work, I will try to restore tomorrow again and see, else I have to sell it as is :/

When you put the iPad baseband on a phone you can never update the firmware thru iTunes normally ever again. The only way to update is to use pawnage tool.

The reason your phone is not working is because you need an AT&T sim to activate it. You can borrow one for a few minutes. Once activated you can install ultrasn0w and you should be ok.

As I wrote in the other post, I have tried that.. I kind of thinking that it could be a hardware related problem

iPhone? More like MyPhone ab6324's Avatar
    Thanks

Error 1015 is actually a "good error" if you're trying to unlock it with ultrasn0w. You need to use a program that will force it out of recovery mode next time the error pops up. Try Tiny Umbrella. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was in the same situation a few months ago. As long as you stay away from updating, it is possible to do this. If your iPhone displays a loading bar that looks 75% complete, then the pop up error 1015 means you did restore it. I used limera1n for Windows to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS iOS 4.1 6.15.00. Close the error notification, use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, and then try jailbreaking with limera1n. When you try restoring in iTunes, are you using using the 4.1 ipsw?

That is what I did to get it into iOS, then I used a custom firmware to restore which worked.. but when I get into iOS and install ultrasn0w it still can't get any signal

I have just tried to restore with custom firmware, activate with my AT&T sim and then tried to install ultrasn0w, but still no luck - "No service" and "Waiting for activation"

iPhone? More like MyPhone ab6324's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Renejos View Post
    That is what I did to get it into iOS, then I used a custom firmware to restore which worked.. but when I get into iOS and install ultrasn0w it still can't get any signal

I have just tried to restore with custom firmware, activate with my AT&T sim and then tried to install ultrasn0w, but still no luck - "No service" and "Waiting for activation"
    Try going into your settings, click general, and then network... Is 3G on and is there an option for choosing AT&T or T-Mobile? I can't remember where it is since mine was stolen last week... Anyways, you have ultrasn0w successfully installed, the SIM card is in, and the iPhone is JB on 4.1 and baseband 6.15.00... Right? Don't give up! Haha

Thanks

Some good tutorials on Redmond Pie and good info in thse forums and guides I have ATT locked 3GS and am on Telenor unlocked 4.1/06.15 now. But I used redsn0w, ultrasn0w, then deactivated and used SAM in manual to input telenor as carrier to activate. All has been fine since.
    --
    Brick & Mortar Mantra: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Web Mantra: If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

After you install Ultrasn0w take the foreign sim out and reboot the phone with no SIM. When the phone comes back up put the foreign SIM in the phone while it is still switched on and wait. It could take three or four minutes.

I have tried with both 3G on and off, and in settings > Carrier I can see the three different carriers in my area..

mayb I could try with SAM, that could be an option.. I will try it later today an report back..

I just tried to restore with custom firmware, used pwnage tool to jailbreak and activate the phone and then installed ultrasn0w, still no luck.. So I opened up the phone and saw that the contact between the bezel and the logic board was bent and there was no contact, so I pulled out the logic and bent it back so that the logic is now touching the bezel, but also the ribbon #7 was messed up, and after some googling it seems that it has something to do with the GSM antenna aswell, so i might have to solder on a new contact and replace the dock connector :S but can anybody confirm that the flex #7 is for the GSM antenna?
    Last edited by Renejos; 03-28-2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

here is the simplest solution and it works .. i just tried it on mine and in less then one minute problem solved
    How to FIX FaceTime "waiting for activation error" with out Jailbreak TESTED 4.1